Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Finally Learning the Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Finally Learning the Game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Finally Learning the Game - 7/30/2020 12:17:40 AM   
incbob

In about 1991 I picked up World in Flames. It looked great and I got out the map and got to play a turn or two before having to put it up. Have no idea what happened to that box.

Years later, now we have computers, I find out about MWiF. I buy in and buy it as soon as it becomes available. I put it aside thinking, I will wait for an AI. Yeah :)

So now we are here years later and I am starting to learn this complicated game. My salute to all those that have worked on this program. I know it has been a labor of love. There are somethings I wish were different....but oh well.

I fired up Barboarossa. Wow. What a disaster. Found rule after rule that I thought worked differently. When I getit so I can get through at least a turn or two before restarting I want to do an AAR on it.

Post #: 1
RE: Finally Learning the Game - 7/30/2020 12:51:06 AM   
Neilster

Welcome aboard

You're no Robinson Crusoe when it comes to realising that you've been playing some rules wrong.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to incbob)
Post #: 2
RE: Finally Learning the Game - 7/30/2020 5:51:52 AM   
incbob

Well I am half done with my first real Barbarossa scenario (Fast Start).
I have to say I have learned a lot and picked up some, "yeah that is good," and some "Oh crap, I shouldn't have done that."

The Germans have been what I feel is very unlucky. On the first turn not a single Russian unit was disorganized. Every single roll failed.

North of the Pripet Marshes the Russians hold Pskov and probably will at the end of the turn, but Leningrad is about to come under attack. The Russians have a good line behind the Dvina while the Germans are just getting out of Minsk. (Made a huge attack, but rolled a 1 on the 1d10 CRT leaving the entire force disorganized.)

South of the Pripet Marshes the Russians have formed a strong line behind the Dniester going up to the Marshes. This has completely stiffled the Germans and it doesn't help that the Romanians, even with the two German 6-3 INF, can do nothing.

I am not sure if I am just better at defending or the Germans have just be extremely unlucky. Probably a little bit of both.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 3
RE: Finally Learning the Game - 7/30/2020 10:59:34 AM   
Centuur

Germany should make a choice in the Barbarossa scenario between making the South or the North for their main attack. Of course, bad rolls are always a problem, but one can negate that a little bit by having superior forces at one of those fronts. The front where you make your main attack will crumble and those marshes between the north and the south means that the Soviets need time to shift their defenses. And look: suddenly the other front get stripped of units and you can advance there too...

Bad weather however, is usually the culprit to decide which side will win Barbarossa.

Peter

(in reply to incbob)
Post #: 4
RE: Finally Learning the Game - 7/30/2020 1:58:54 PM   
CanInf

ahh the rules... so malleable in cardboard, so hard on the computer... I can't begin to count how many rules we were abusing on the table top

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 5
RE: Finally Learning the Game - 7/30/2020 6:24:48 PM   
Courtenay

There are reasons my .sig is what it is.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to CanInf)
Post #: 6
RE: Finally Learning the Game - 7/31/2020 12:35:19 AM   
Neilster

IMHO, if the Russians are played competently, the Barbarossa scenario is quite difficult for the Germans to win. Bad weather luck makes it very difficult.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 7
RE: Finally Learning the Game - 7/31/2020 1:18:07 AM   
incbob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster
IMHO, if the Russians are played competently, the Barbarossa scenario is quite difficult for the Germans to win. Bad weather luck makes it very difficult.

Obviously I am very new, but as a learn the system I believe you are correct. Yes, the Germans can take the North and surround Leningrad, but then it can be setup as a bulwark and made extremely difficult for the Germans to crack.

The South, from Odessa to the Prepit Marshes can be made pretty much one single line. Yes, the Germans will make breakthroughs here and there, but by withdrawing units the USSR can set it so that the Germans have to slug there way through.

As far as the middle road, towards Moscow, yes the Germans will make big advances, but if the USSR player concentrates on building land units they can set a wall around Moscow that will stop the Germans.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Finally Learning the Game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI