Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Noob question. I知 confused

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Noob question. I知 confused Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Noob question. I知 confused - 7/28/2020 8:59:57 PM   
Antmf_slith

A couple of newbie questions for you veterans

I知 in the process of doing tutorial number six modern airplane interception in the flight tutorials. It says that I can either turn one of the Radars on or launch an aircraft with Early warning radar I decided to click on one of the ground Radars and turn it on but for some reason I don稚 know if I知 not waiting long enough but it痴 not identifying any of the planes flying close even the civilians. My other question is regardless of what radar I use I keep my fighters radar off when the fighter get a target from the early warning radar do I have to manually tell it to attack Or can I just press F3 and fly it in a general vicinity and it will automatically engage even with my fighters radar off? Also I have three separate groups of airplanes fighters that launch but it appears only one group engages the enemy the other two don稚 do anything I知 baffled please help
Post #: 1
RE: Noob question. I知 confused - 7/28/2020 9:39:40 PM   
thewood1

I don't remember that tutorial, but if the aircraft is on a patrol or intercept missions with the correct ROE, it'll automatically intercept the incoming hostile if it can detect it.

The key is understanding mission planning and ROE.

(in reply to Antmf_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: Noob question. I知 confused - 7/28/2020 10:12:23 PM   
UncertainlyCertain

I'm no veteran but will try to help regardless.

quote:

It says that I can either turn one of the Radars on or launch an aircraft with Early warning radar

You can either, but an Airborne Early Warning aircraft will do a better job:

- Radar waves, being electromagnetic waves, travel in line of sight (generally) as such the range of the radar is limited by the horizon (the Earth is round after all) so aircraft flying low enough (a.k.a. flying below radar) will not be detected unless very close. Also any terrain features like hills, mountains etc. will "block" the waves. An AEW aircraft has its radar mounted on a high altitude platform and so "sees" from above with much less obstruction. You can read more by googling "radar horizon"

- Aircraft are mobile, much more than radars mounted on trucks and trailers (and even more mobile than those mounted on buildings), this gives them better survavaibility.

- Most modern AEW aircraft feature Non Cooperative Target Recognition (NCTR), generally using Jet Engine Modulation techniques (i.e. counting the blades on a turbine/propeller) of an aircraft directly facing the radar (this is important) are able to classify the target. Also these planes mount an ELINT/ESM (Electronic Intelligence) suite to monitor electronic emissions (like radars), some ELINT suites are advanced enough to be able to classify an aircraft by examining its radar emissions. The bonus is that such method has (most times) a longer reach than radar and is passive. Lastly things like a FLIR or IRST will help greatly, though not every aircraft has access to them.

IIRC in your scenario there should be a G550 AEW aircraft, look in its database description: under the sensor tab the radar should be listed as NCTR capable. This is a good pick.

quote:

I don稚 know if I知 not waiting long enough but it痴 not identifying any of the planes flying close even the civilians

They can't if they are not NCTR able. IRL radars (both ground and not) have an additional Indication Friend or Foe (IFF) antenna that "interrogates" the transponder on aircraft, then based on the answer the radar either classifies it as Ally or Unknown. Civilian flights are required to squawk (send by transponder) a certain code to ascertain the military that they are actual civilian planes. In case the military have doubts they can contact the plane via radio. Unfortunately neither IFF (as in real life) nor radio contacting planes is currently supported in-game. So either you send a pair of fighters to investigate or deduce by what data you have that the plane is indeed a civilian. Luckily military aircraft (especially fighters) fly in formation and can fly faster than a commercial jet (500+ kts).

If you wish to let your units investigate themselves then I suggest setting their Rules of Engagement (ROE) to "Weapon Control Status - Air" on "Hold" and then ordering an attack with F1: this way your units will fly towards the contact and engage it (in the meantime classifying it) without firing a shot so no risking a civilian shootdown, on the other side if the contact is enemy you might get a nasty surprise...

quote:

My other question is regardless of what radar I use I keep my fighters radar off when the fighter get a target from the early warning radar do I have to manually tell it to attack Or can I just press F3 and fly it in a general vicinity and it will automatically engage even with my fighters radar off?

It depends on the situation: if you wish to plot a certain course for your fighters to follow then plot a course with F3 and once they're close enough order an attack with F1, AFAIK units don't attack unless threatened/close to the enemy, be sure to set "Ignore plotted course when attacking" to "Yes" in the doctrine menu (shortcut ctrl+F9) so they will start the engagement on their own, otherwise they will just keep flying on the set course and won't budge unless you change it with F3, they will engage any target in boresight tough.

If, instead, you wish for them to engage on their own and the distance to target isn't that long you can just order them to attack with F1: they will choose the best course to make an intercept given their allowed throttle setting (you can control it on the side bar), caution tough: you can order an aircraft to attack a target 1000nm out and it will still dash at it full afterburner... obviously running out of fuel not even halfway there.

Unless in the doctrine menu "Ignore EMCON while under attack" is set to "No", units will automatically turn on their radar to start the engagement/shoot weapons.

quote:

Also I have three separate groups of airplanes fighters that launch but it appears only one group engages the enemy the other two don稚 do anything I知 baffled please help

Have you set up a mission or are you manually imparting orders to your units? In case of the latter you have to manually order your units to attack, otherwise they will engage only when threatened/close enough.

Hope this clears some of your doubts, feel free to ask more or scan the forums for similar problems.

Cheers

< Message edited by UncertainlyCertain -- 7/28/2020 10:23:26 PM >

(in reply to Antmf_slith)
Post #: 3
RE: Noob question. I知 confused - 7/28/2020 11:18:34 PM   
BrianinMinnie

UncertainlyCertain, you "certainly" did a veteran job of breaking it down, Good Work!!

(in reply to UncertainlyCertain)
Post #: 4
RE: Noob question. I知 confused - 7/28/2020 11:40:45 PM   
Antmf_slith

Thank you all so much. I am going to do the tutorials from the beginning again. I need to redo in case I am missing somethings.. Thank you all so much...

(in reply to BrianinMinnie)
Post #: 5
RE: Noob question. I知 confused - 7/29/2020 8:11:47 PM   
Gunner98

quote:

Unfortunately neither IFF (as in real life)

This can be replicated by the scenario designer by checking the 'Auto-ID Civilians' in the Side Setup box. It was added a while ago and often overlooked.

Also a lot of designers want to challenge the player a bit more and replicate real life by making sure that physical ID occurs before missiles start flying.

Great explanations btw

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to UncertainlyCertain)
Post #: 6
RE: Noob question. I知 confused - 7/29/2020 9:34:49 PM   
UncertainlyCertain

To Gunner98

You are right on this one, this is indeed a nice addition tough is often overlooked just like computer side WRA and doctrine.

I do believe however that in this particular scenario this "fog of war" is beneficial for the learning player: it kinda breaks the "military knows everything/anytime" stereotype and shows that not everything is as crystal clear as you would like it to be, sometimes you just have to make assumptions/deductions and hope you are right by sending a strike package down the correct target or ignoring a contact.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Noob question. I知 confused Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI