Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Unable to declare war

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Unable to declare war Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unable to declare war - 7/23/2020 4:50:29 PM   
wobbleguts

Hi. I'm playing as Japan. Before the game I turned off Pearl Harbor/US nuke development etc. When I reached my build limit I switched to soft build. I also paid max MPPs to keep the USA out of the war.

This means it it not a very history based game. But why can't I declare war on Ireland after I occupy the UK? No declaration of war option and can't move any units in. Same for other territories like Madagasor.

Can someone explain?

Post #: 1
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/23/2020 5:38:49 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

I have no clue. What the heck you trying to do, solve an Algebra III problem with multiple unknown variables? Let the Irish be in peace

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 2
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/23/2020 6:38:13 PM   
amandkm

God bless Ireland. So far from heaven, so close to England. Or was that Wales?

To answer the question, it may be that you are unable to DoW if you are not at war with a 'parent' of the land you are trying to attack (e.g. France, if you are after Madagascar)

< Message edited by amandkm -- 7/23/2020 6:41:38 PM >

(in reply to ElvisJJonesRambo)
Post #: 3
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/23/2020 6:41:03 PM   
Xsillione

Japan has a bit of limitations in countries to do diplomacy, most importantly, they cannot influence spain. Porbably ireland also not on the list, so they cannot DOW, but you can dow as germany, and in most case it will make the war state for all three axis nations madagascar is a trickier, since it should be on the japan list, but maybe not, try as germany too, or you migth already be war with them if vichy is joined the war, or they are part of france if france reunited. Or, if germany did the greater france surrender, it is actually german territory.

Post #: 4
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/23/2020 9:48:17 PM   
Platoonist

I believe in an earlier post about this particular game he stated that Germany and Italy had already been defeated. So, the option to declare war on Ireland by any other Axis power might be gone. I wonder if as Japan you could liberate a defeated Germany or Italy and then get them to declare war on Ireland?

That does seem like a lot of work to acquire Ireland unless you really like the Guinness and the redheads.

(in reply to Xsillione)
Post #: 5
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/24/2020 3:33:58 AM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Hey, his nickname is Wobbleguts, anything possible for strategy. Will make a note in my opponents player's profile card of this guy. Dangerous.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 6
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/24/2020 8:59:54 AM   
BillRunacre

Japan cannot declare war on Ireland via the diplomacy screen, but it should be able to via the War Maps button at the top of the screen.

If you can give this a go in your game and confirm that would be great.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

Post #: 7
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/24/2020 10:54:26 AM   
wobbleguts

I've got nothing against Ireland. Just thought that as my forces were nearby I might as well invade the place and get some Atlantic ports.

Dublin has the Irish flag displayed and is 11% pro axis (which is probably historically correct). Soviet ships are now docked in the ports the UK occupied earlier in the game.

The comments about Madagascar make sense because I am not at war with France. However, earlier in the game when I invaded UK territories I didn't have to declare on the UK itself - just the territory. AU and NZ then declared war on me, but not the UK. I don't think that happened until I carved up India.

Platoonist is right - this is the same game he mentioned. It's a bit silly now (no basis in reality) and I thought about quitting a few times but I want to try and defeat the USA. My attempts have not gone well so far.

I have a question though. In my game Italy and Germany have been defeated and occupied long ago. Yet they still appear in the top left hand corner of the main game screen and they have MPPs. Germany has 1529 and Italy 768. Both are also at 100% morale. How is this possible? Is there an eagles nest somewhere?

As for my forum nickname, Ii is Wobbleguts. I could have used Elvis but it would mean the same thing. Not sure why my nickname makes me an algebra freak and strategy maniac.

Post #: 8
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/24/2020 11:03:24 AM   
wobbleguts

Hi,

Just checked this out and YES, there is a DOW option for both Ireland and Madagascar on the war map. Not in a position to do either at the moment but will do so soon. If it works (think it will), why can you do this via the map but not through diplomacy?

Thanks

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 9
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/24/2020 11:56:05 AM   
amandkm

Wobble,

Diplomacy can be used to sway countries to your side via chits, as well as declaring war. Countries that aren't on that screen are not suscpetible to your ambassadorial efforts.

Good to know you can DoW via the map, though. I Learned something today!

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 10
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/24/2020 12:58:47 PM   
wobbleguts

Hi,

To confirm, declaring war via the war maps works. I am now controlling the entire worlds supply of Guinness and Leprechauns. I haven't invaded Madagascar yet, but when I do I will ship all the Leprechauns there.

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 11
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/24/2020 2:28:13 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: wobbleguts

I haven't invaded Madagascar yet, but when I do I will ship all the Leprechauns there.

Which is where they and their sugary Lucky Charms belong.

So, what is the Soviet Union doing in this unique game of yours? Sitting happily on a defeated Germany? Making any threatening moves?

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 12
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/24/2020 10:35:36 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

@wobblenuts --- maybe we need a battle, you can invade Northern Ireland, or do what you do. I'll do what I do. See how it turns out. Head over to the PBEM/Online button, setup a game & send me the password.

quote:

I've got nothing against Ireland. Just thought that as my forces were nearby I might as well invade the place and get some Atlantic ports.

Dublin has the Irish flag displayed and is 11% pro axis (which is probably historically correct). Soviet ships are now docked in the ports the UK occupied earlier in the game.

The comments about Madagascar make sense because I am not at war with France. However, earlier in the game when I invaded UK territories I didn't have to declare on the UK itself - just the territory. AU and NZ then declared war on me, but not the UK. I don't think that happened until I carved up India.

Platoonist is right - this is the same game he mentioned. It's a bit silly now (no basis in reality) and I thought about quitting a few times but I want to try and defeat the USA. My attempts have not gone well so far.

I have a question though. In my game Italy and Germany have been defeated and occupied long ago. Yet they still appear in the top left hand corner of the main game screen and they have MPPs. Germany has 1529 and Italy 768. Both are also at 100% morale. How is this possible? Is there an eagles nest somewhere?

As for my forum nickname, Ii is Wobbleguts. I could have used Elvis but it would mean the same thing. Not sure why my nickname makes me an algebra freak and strategy maniac.

And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 13
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/25/2020 10:27:10 AM   
wobbleguts

Russia has occupied most of Europe, including Spain and Italy The western allies are still independent, but there are RU units all over France. In the East, they have occupied Finland and pretty much everywhere else. The exceptions are Bulgaria, Romania, Yugoslavia and Albania.

Despite their strong position they have been very quiet v Japan. Earlier in the game I did park some naval units in the red zone off Vladivostok. They attacked me so I withdrew. This was a local dispute and didn't lead to war, which I think is realistic. Since then, no hostilities. Have to beat USA quickly because if Russia does declare war I am stuffed.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 14
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/25/2020 11:08:45 AM   
wobbleguts

Hey, this is the 1st game of strategic command I've ever played. I'm still not sure what the rules are. The manual goes up to 10.6 in part 1, 5.2 in part 2. I am up to 6.1 in part 1. So I still have a long way to go.

Haven't read anything about PBEM yet so I can't respond to your challenge.

I still don't know why my nickname annoys you. You need to chill out. Try sitting on the dunny chewing a hamburger. That will help.

Post #: 15
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/25/2020 11:55:51 AM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Not sure what you're talking about. English must not be your native language.

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 16
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/25/2020 12:15:23 PM   
wobbleguts

Go away

Post #: 17
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/25/2020 12:31:36 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi Wobbleguts,

Welcome aboard and I hope you enjoy the games

Feel free to continue to ask any questions, we are here to help, and maybe EJJR can respectfully dial it back a bit here in the meantime?

Hubert

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 18
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/25/2020 1:16:58 PM   
wobbleguts

Thanks for that post. Much appreciated.

I still have the question about defeated axis powers though.....In my game Italy and Germany have been defeated and occupied long ago. Yet they still appear in the top left hand corner of the main game screen and they have MPPs. Germany has 1529 and Italy 768. Both are also at 100% morale. How is this possible? Is there an eagles nest somewhere?

Thanks

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 19
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/25/2020 2:07:31 PM   
Hubert Cater

I think I'll have to take a look at a saved turn to get a better idea, could you send me one to support@furysoftware.com?

Saved game files are typically found here:

\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Strategic Command WWII - World at War\Save

If the file is too big for email, you can send it via WeTransfer:

https://wetransfer.com

Just select 'No Thanks' and the 'Get Link' option and it is free and straightforward after that.
Hubert

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 20
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/25/2020 5:16:00 PM   
wobbleguts

Sent the file(s) so you can take a look. They are on the google cloud.

Do I get an award for the calendar date in the game?

Post #: 21
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/26/2020 11:35:29 AM   
Hubert Cater

Thanks for the files and typically the reason why any Major flag will still appear on the left hand side is if that major still has an active minor in game. In this case Germany still has Spanish Guinea in game and Italy still has Italian East Africa. This means those countries can still purchase units and so on.

The mobilization shows as 100% just meaning those nations are still fully active in the war in the sense if they are liberated they will return to the game, however I can see how that is a bit misleading as well. I did double check their National Morale and that is correctly showing as 0% at the moment.

For the calendar date, I had to do a double take, wow, that is impressive and definitely award worthy!

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 22
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/26/2020 2:29:42 PM   
wobbleguts

Many thanks. I checked the map and I can see Italian East Africa. I am occupying it but it is a slightly different colour. I checked the war map and can declare war (so I can steal their MPPs). Where is Spanish Guinea exactly - can't find it on the map.

I thought the 100% was morale, but now know it is mobilization.

My invasion of the USA is going well, so my calander date will increase!

+

Post #: 23
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/26/2020 2:47:34 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

Where is Spanish Guinea exactly - can't find it on the map.

It's in the Gulf of Guinea off the coast of Africa. It's the island of Fernando Po, Sao Tome and the coastal enclave in Africa itself. I think it's called Equatorial Guinea on a modern map.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Platoonist -- 7/26/2020 2:52:18 PM >

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 24
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/26/2020 2:50:32 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

My invasion of the USA is going well, so my calander date will increase!

So, what is the calendar date? Has this war reached the swinging 1960s yet?

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 25
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/27/2020 11:54:00 AM   
wobbleguts

Thanks for the Spanish Guinea location. I looked all over the map but couldn't find it.

Have now conquered the USA!

It's taken a long time to get to this stage.

I turned off pearl Harbour, Nukes, end date and as many events that would inevitably lead to war with the allies as I could. This meant I could plan for the long term.

I like the way the game reports cultural events like 'gone with the wind' released etc. That stopped ages ago. The Beatles were not mentioned. David Bowie is ignored.

My date stamp is .....drum roll....1971!

next target Russia.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 26
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/27/2020 2:34:15 PM   
Bo Rearguard

quote:

My date stamp is .....drum roll....1971!

Amazing! That's quite a feat.

The best part is that in this version of world history, disco will be dead before it even gets started.

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 27
RE: Unable to declare war - 7/27/2020 3:54:58 PM   
wobbleguts

Indeed. Plus I haven't heard any news about space hoppers and flares, so my jappanese influence is helping humanity.

Boy Rusia is big. I think I will be into the punk/new wave ere before I have a strtegy.

(in reply to Bo Rearguard)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Unable to declare war Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI