Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[WAD] Sentinel image loses definition after unzooming

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [WAD] Sentinel image loses definition after unzooming Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[WAD] Sentinel image loses definition after unzooming - 7/20/2020 10:43:08 PM   
cmanouser1

Picture 1 shows the sentinel image I get at 170k meters height. Notice it's blurry

Picture 2 shows a much better definition sentinel image, again at 170k meters. I obtained this one by zooming in, then zooming back to 170k meters. After a couple seconds, the game reverts to the blurry image

Could we get the high definition picture to either appear in the first place, or at least not disappear after it's loaded by zooming, instead of the blurry one?

< Message edited by apache85 -- 9/9/2020 12:51:21 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: [Logged] Sentinel image loses definition after unzo... - 7/21/2020 8:56:07 AM   
Rory Noonan

Logged for investigation.

(in reply to cmanouser1)
Post #: 2
RE: [Logged] Sentinel image loses definition after unzo... - 9/8/2020 5:02:02 PM   
Dimitris

I think this issue was forwarded to MG support and answered through there.

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 3
RE: [Logged] Sentinel image loses definition after unzo... - 9/8/2020 7:01:23 PM   
cmanouser1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dimitris

I think this issue was forwarded to MG support and answered through there.

Not sure what you're talking about, I haven't sent anything to matrix support nor discussed with them.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 4
RE: [Logged] Sentinel image loses definition after unzo... - 9/8/2020 8:50:40 PM   
Dimitris

Okay, in that case I'll repeat here what I said to the person who contacted us through support. The user was kind enough to record what was seeing (twice!) and upload it, making our investigation a lot more effective:

quote:

"Thanks for the recording, this makes it clearer. What you are observing actually appears to be normal (ie. working as designed). 

When you are at a certain zoom level, and you zoom-in further than it, initially you get the same tile you were previously looking at, except now it is stretched and therefore blurrier. This lasts a few seconds while the closer-zoom tiles are being fetched, either from the local cache or from the remote server. Once the tiles are at hand, they replace the original tile.

Now, if you zoom-out back again, initially you are still viewing the same higher-resolution tiles, except they are now shrunk and therefore extremely crisp-looking. This is the same thing that GPUs do automatically when they apply antialiasing on a scene (ie. render the entire scene at a much higher resolution and then scale it down to the target screen resolution in order to produce a very sharp-looking image). However, this is undesirable for the map engine as it is inefficient/wasteful (at that moment we are using 4 tiles at the same screen space where one single tile, stretched normally, would suffice. So, very shortly, the 4 higher-zoom tiles are again replaced by one lower-zoom tile. The tile is of course less crisp than the previous 4 ones. This is what you are observing, and it is in fact working as designed.

Thanks again for taking the time to produce and share your recording, otherwise it would have been extremely difficult to understand what you are seeing."

(in reply to cmanouser1)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [WAD] Sentinel image loses definition after unzooming Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI