My latest Harpoon HUCE/CE scenario, based in current operations:
Exercise Dynamic Mongoose 2020. June 29-July 20 2020. Historical Training Scenario.
A Harpoon Commander's Edition scenario for the EC2003 Battle for GIUK Gap Battleset and the HCDB2-170909 (or later) 1980-2025 era Platform Database. This scenario is designed with Advanced Scenario Editor Build 2017.012 and to be run with HCE 2015.008+ or later.
This scenario is designed to be played from the Blue/NATO side or from the Red/Russian side. You should play a few times first the Blue side to avoid spoilers, and only later play the Red side.
Image: The US surface element in Dynamic Mongoose 2002 was the Arleigh Burke-class Flight IIA (54 calibers gun) guided-missile BMD destroyer USS Roosevelt (DDG 80) conducting here a photo exercise with the Santa Maria-class frigate SPS Santa Maria (F 81) Southwest Spain, as Roosevelt transited from its homeport in Rota, to Iceland for NATO Exercise Dynamic Mongoose 2020, June 25, 2020. Roosevelt replaces USS Carney (DDG 64) after five years as part of Forward Deployed Naval Force-Europe (FDNF-E), and as the four previous ships based at Rota, has replaced her aft 20mm Phalanx mount by a SeaRAM missile mount (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Austin G. Collins/Released. Photo took by a service person on duty, and in consequence in public domain).
From the last years constant NATO and partners military exercises are a guarantee to prevent any Russia temptation to resolve with an open war its internal issues, with another military offensive action after the Georgia, Crimea and East Ukraine actions.
From the eventful year of 2014 the World was beginning the so-called Second Cold War, the President of Russia Vladimir Putin (ex-KGB lieutenant colonel) was showing clearly his plan to recover the Russian Empire and later Soviet territories for reinstitute the greatness of his Russia, and to guarantee his passage on the History as saviour of the Rodina.
Dynamic Mongoose 2017 was developed near Iceland first time as is usually executed near Norway, with participation of Icelandic elements, now in the way to be converted in true armed forces. From this 2020 edition, second time in Iceland, it has been decided that the exercises will be held alternately in Iceland and Norway. Iceland will provide facilities in the security area of Keflavik Airport and the Icelandic Coast Guard will participate in the exercises.
Probably part of the exercise, as showed in this scenario, was to control the passage of Russian submarines between Greenland and Iceland, but this is only an informed guess.
At Dynamic Mongoose 2020 NATO historically present forces were:
- Arleigh Burke-class Flight IIA Aegis destroyer USS Roosevelt (DDG80) with a new SeaRAM mount aft and Phalanx forward, probably with 2xMH-60R Seahawk.
- Type 23 Duke-class HMS Kent F78 (with Sea Ceptor from 5 October 2018), embarking a 814 NAS Merlin HM.2.
- Type 23 Duke-class HMS Westminster F237 (with Sea Ceptor from January 2017), embarking a 814 NAS Merlin HM.2.
- Fridtjof Nansen-class Aegis frigate HNoMS Otto Sverdrup F312, probably with a 337 Squadron NH90 NFH(ASW).
- Halifax/City-class frigate HMCS Fredericton FFH337, probably with a 423 Maritime Helicopter Squadron CH-148 Cyclone (Cyclone deployed in Fredericton at least from April 2020).
NATO Base Keflavik Airport, Iceland:
- Two P-8A Poseidon assigned to VP-47 "The Golden Swordsmen" and VP-16 "The War Eagles" from Naval Air Station Sigonella, Sicily (An incredibly lovely place!).
- Two? Atlantique 2 of 21F and/or 23F, from Base Aeronavale Lahn Bihoue.
- Two 120 Squadron Poseidon MRA1 (to be based at RAF Lossiemouth mid-2020, after building new base infrastructures).
- U36 (S-186), German Type 212B-class conventional attack submarine.
- Utsira (S-301), Norwegian Type 210/Ula-class conventional attack submarine.
- HMS Trenchant (S-91), British Trafalgar-class nuclear attack submarine.
- Casabianca (S-603), French Amethyste-class nuclear attack submarine.
- USS Indiana (SSN-789), US Virginia-class Flight III nuclear attack submarine.
For sake of comparison and of the evolving forces, you can play also the previous Dynamic Mongoose 2015 and 2017 scenarios, and see the meagre elements deployed this year of Covid-19.
Of course this is a training exercise and actually shots, torpedoes and missiles aren't fired and nobody is hurt ...
Enrique Mas, 21 July 2020.
Download it at: