Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Atlantic wall coastal guns

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Atlantic wall coastal guns Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Atlantic wall coastal guns - 7/20/2020 4:21:56 PM   
taffjones

At the moment I think there needs to be a change to the settings for the Atlantic Wall coastal guns.

In a PBEM game my opponent has just sailed what appears to be 1/2 the RN up next to one of the gun emplacements. Shelled it and sailed off, ship by ship. Reducing its morale and readiness.

I know they will intercept transport ships, but only being able to engage warships if they end their turn next to it (No Allied player will make that mistake twice).

Even if they are attacked they don't return fire? OK some will argue that battleships may be out of range, but not light cruisers and destroyers, if ships attack cities/towns on the coast with no defences they run the risk of some damage.

So it doesn't feel right that ships can shell these units with no risk.

Maybe it could be set that there is a % chance of the guns returning fire based on the number of shells they have.

ie 3 shells = 80% chance of return fire
2 shells = 60%
1 shell = 40%
0 shells = 20%

What does everyone else think or suggest?
Post #: 1
RE: Atlantic wall coastal guns - 7/22/2020 9:47:26 AM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Historically, not sure what really happened. Anyone know? Would figure the accuracy would be tough with the technology in 1944. The cost of shipping and production Ammo to England would make the value expensive. Could make the supply of a ship drop x2, instead of x1. Also, force the ship to stop moving after the attack. Then again, if the hit is only 10% morale, why do it at all?

From the flip side. It probably was impossible for Gerry to hit a ship. Cost of Ammo, Accuracy, and return in investment wasn't there. To destroy a ship, you need a fat 500# Dive Bomber or Torpedo at close range. Some 150mm shell isn't going to hurt a ship from couple miles offshore. Tank battles had shells bouncing off advanced T-34, JU-tanks in Russia. I really don't know the tech side.

Guns of Navarone, now I've seen that flick with Gregory Peck. Those weren't your standard 150mm artillery. Also, when the Yanks landed, most them emplacements by Gerry were empty, weren't they? Fake guns.

In the Pacific, the US Navy would shell for a week, and would do nothing significant in physical damage, so maybe the morale drop is the answer. Looking back and playing armchair quarterback, I've always questioned the Island Hopping strategy. Those islands like Tarawa, Guam, Wake, etc, cost alot of lives. Use the Navy, and spray chemicals might have been a better strategy. How do you feed 5000 troops on an island for an extended time, there's only so many coconuts on Gilligan's Island.

< Message edited by ElvisJJonesRambo -- 7/22/2020 9:51:43 AM >

(in reply to taffjones)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Atlantic wall coastal guns Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI