From: Winnipeg, MB
IJN opponent's orders are in. My USN orders have been sent to opponent. Suspense as opponent is on a weekend holiday.
I have a 1AF base with PBYs that has been a focus of mutual activity for a week. USN have a defending inf regiment and control the base and airfield. IJN has landed some SNLF units. Current no more naval air or IJN surface ships due to threats of enemy next move; each player being both bold, conservative, and/or unpredictable. Already have seen IJN naval bombardments, USN SS attacks vs same, USN CV air strikes vs same, IJN SS puts a torpedo into an US CV, several ASW actions, surface naval battle, etc.
Last turn long range B17s evaded IJN 8xA6M2 CAP over US Base to strike the SNLF. Then the Zeros engaged 21xP39s seeking to strafe the SNLF after an air battle at 100 feet. P39s have a relatively good day, losing 7 [saving some pilots from damaged/totaled planes] but taking out 3 Zeros with much better pilots.
Your Prediction for Today?
A squadron of Kittyhawk Is replace the PBYs, and will be flying CAP at altitude XX. Long range B17s will be inbound to continue to ground attack the SNLF at altitude XX. Should the IJN fly LR CAP over the USN base, what will happen?
1) Will the Kittyhawks flying CAP fight and air battle vs the IJN LR CAP prior, during or after the B17 flight? If so, which side is the defender? KH's are OK vs Zeros as the defender, but generally fare poorly as the attacker.
2) Will the Kittyhawks instead be treated as possible escort for the B17s, should the latter actually arrive?
3) Will the B17s if they arrive go it alone?
3) Will the Kittyhawks and B17s be separate uncoordinated air shows, each may or may not enraged any IJN CAP?
4) Playing vs human opponent is a guessing game of wits. Both players constantly changing tactics, trying to setup ambushes, etc; then lots of suspense. Whatever works one day usually does not work the next. Then there are all the combat formula random numbers which provide a spectrum of possible results. Much like Vizzini's battle of wits in the Princess Bride.
5) Given 4, no Zeros may appear at all, or if they do may not be engaged.
*) Regardless, the planning for the subsequent turn will present a new challenge.
I will be in suspense over the weekend given the possibilities. I will give a summary when action is resolved after the weekend. Suspense, unpredictably & adaptability of a human opponent is why I play PBEM. Playing vs AI is not really playing the game, or at best the same game.
I predict that if you poison both cups, you will end Vizzini's battle of wits ...
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth