Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How long is a turn?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> How long is a turn? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How long is a turn? - 7/13/2020 9:28:17 PM   
mdsmall

Bill - I have been trying to figure this out for while, so I thought I would ask. Can you explain how many turns fall in each month? Some months in the winter skip by without a turn for one side or the other, while other months seem to always have two turns (like June). Sometimes a month like July or August can have three turns. How exactly does the passage of time work in the game? And how many turns are there in each of the campaign games?

Michael
Post #: 1
RE: How long is a turn? - 7/13/2020 10:06:35 PM   
gwgardner

5.13 in the manual has info on turn length by season.

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 2
RE: How long is a turn? - 7/13/2020 10:28:37 PM   
Xsillione

By default it is 2 weeks per side, so 4 weeks for a full turn, but the summer turns are shorter and the winter ones are longer, so you still have 12-13 full turns per year, you only have 3-4 winter ones, and 5-6 summer ones, spring and fall usually fit into the 4 per season range.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 3
RE: How long is a turn? - 7/13/2020 11:22:52 PM   
mdsmall

Why is the answer to this simple question so slippery? I have read the relevant section in the manual three times and it still makes no sense to me. The turns are two weeks long - except when they are not. I manually wrote down the dates of each turn in the last year of my last campaign and came up with fourteen for the year. But is that always the case? What are the fixed time parameters and what are the variable ones? For any specific date, it is not unreasonable to want to know how many turns there are left in a campaign.

< Message edited by mdsmall -- 7/14/2020 2:09:55 AM >

(in reply to Xsillione)
Post #: 4
RE: How long is a turn? - 7/14/2020 3:05:47 AM   
gwgardner

looking at the default campaign scenario in the editor:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 5
RE: How long is a turn? - 7/14/2020 2:27:50 PM   
Hubert Cater

You can also open the campaign in the Editor and then use the 'Export Dates' function (File->Export Dates) which will create a list of all the dates in game (and per side) in your USER folder for your game which you can then reference as desired.

Typically the file will be found here after you export:

C:\Users\Hubert Cater\Documents\My Games\Strategic Command WWI

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 6
RE: How long is a turn? - 7/14/2020 2:46:12 PM   
mdsmall

I appreciate both of the above replies. Seeing the settings in the game editor makes clear precisely how the turn lengths differ by season and how the turn lengths are constructed. I would suggest including this explanation in a future revision to the Manual. Before starting my next campaign, I will download the dates as recommended by Hubert.

Michael

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 7
RE: How long is a turn? - 10/5/2020 7:44:32 PM   
dwesolick

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

looking at the default campaign scenario in the editor:

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I've never modded/edited a game before. So is it possible to make the game play out in, say, one week turns? SC games always feel a bit rushed to me. Would changing the timespan of turns mess up the game? Anyone tried this yet?

"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 8
RE: How long is a turn? - 10/6/2020 10:24:21 AM   
BillRunacre

quote:

ORIGINAL: dwesolick

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I've never modded/edited a game before. So is it possible to make the game play out in, say, one week turns? SC games always feel a bit rushed to me. Would changing the timespan of turns mess up the game? Anyone tried this yet?

It is certainly possible to change it to one week turns, but changing this can affect the whole tempo and balance so requires some experimentation to get right.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to dwesolick)
Post #: 9
RE: How long is a turn? - 10/12/2020 3:09:06 PM   
dwesolick

Making turns simultaneous would basically double the number of turns in a campaign, or do I have that wrong?

"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 10
RE: How long is a turn? - 10/12/2020 7:26:55 PM   
Hubert Cater

I believe that is correct

(in reply to dwesolick)
Post #: 11
RE: How long is a turn? - 10/12/2020 11:46:38 PM   
Elessar2

quote:

Making turns simultaneous would basically double the number of turns in a campaign, or do I have that wrong?

It also gives both sides the same weather during the simo turns. This however does give an edge to the player moving first, since they will know what the weather will be like on their opponent's turn, and prepare accordingly.

(in reply to dwesolick)
Post #: 12
RE: How long is a turn? - 10/13/2020 5:19:00 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elessar2

quote:

It also gives both sides the same weather during the simo turns. This however does give an edge to the player moving first, since they will know what the weather will be like on their opponent's turn, and prepare accordingly.

Yes, like storms at sea: huge advantage for U-boat captains.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> How long is a turn? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI