Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[1.04b11] Remove the 200km/Hex Absolute Value

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> [1.04b11] Remove the 200km/Hex Absolute Value Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[1.04b11] Remove the 200km/Hex Absolute Value - 7/12/2020 11:27:12 AM   
Malevolence

I recommend the game remove the 200km/hex absolute value. Simply delete it. Distance is measured in Hexes. The unit of measure is Hexes.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Manual, Section 5.17. Design Compromises (lightly edited for spelling and grammar)

Especially on scale some compromises have been made. Combat and logistics are modeled as if the game Hex scale was lower. Combat with a few thousand men (or even several tens of thousands) would not see front lines as we see them in the game. Some abstraction has been taking place between what probably would have happened and what is happening in the game. Concerning logistics things should have been harder on the player seeing the really huge distances (200km/Hex) on the map.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Malevolence

Verisimilitude...

I've argued in other posts that stating the size of a hex in kilometers was a design mistake. Planets are different relative sizes based on the total number of hexes in each. Distances should be measured only in hexes--leave the rest to the players imagination. The other game elements are not plausible with an absolute value in kilometers. Like faster than light travel/communications, artificial gravity, etc., it should be the readers imagination.

The design compromise is wholly based around a 200km/Hex value, however, nothing in the game refers to kilometers. Eliminate the hex scale in kilometers and there are no more compromises.

No assets, units, models, weapons, etc. (pick your game object noun) uses kilometers as a distance factor. Nothing in the game is measured in kilometers. Kilometers do impact game balance.

Leave the scale to the player's imagination. This is not a historical game based in Europe. A hex scale to properly address historical norms is unnecessary. As quoted, the stated value is completely implausible.

With so little mention of hex size and kilometers in the game, why does deleting it matter?

Hex size should not selectively be used as screening or evaluation criteria for the value of current and future features in the game.

Discussions about game features become selectively mired in plausibility issues surrounding the math of the hex size. Ships' guns--hex size. Aircraft range--hex size. Sensor detection--hex size.

How much effort does this take to patch? Nothing but a written declaration on the forum, because it is never actually used in the game.

Simply eliminate it.

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 7/28/2020 4:01:14 AM >

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.
Post #: 1
RE: [1.04b7] Remove the 200km/Hex Absolute Value - 7/12/2020 12:00:52 PM   
Malevolence

Example:

Lookout/sensor towers/radar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pratapon51

I suppose radar for ground vehicles and units only makes a bit less sense, but I think it'd be nice to have some kind of semi-mobile or immobile asset or unit that I could plop on a mountain somewhere and provides limited recon in a number of hexes surrounding it. The value could increase with tech upgrades.

An imaginative suggestion, potentially being screened out or evaluated in comparison to a 200 kilometer absolute value.

Kilometers should not be a relevant criteria with respect to this game.

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 7/12/2020 12:04:30 PM >

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to Malevolence)
Post #: 2
RE: [1.04b7] Remove the 200km/Hex Absolute Value - 7/12/2020 12:26:59 PM   
Pymous

I agree, if there is no impact on current gameplay, the hex size reference could be removed for better "immersion".
Or on the other side, everything else should be "plausible" with respect to the "200km" hex size reference (which is probably way more complicated :) )

(in reply to Malevolence)
Post #: 3
RE: [1.04b7] Remove the 200km/Hex Absolute Value - 7/28/2020 4:01:28 AM   
Malevolence

Repeat. Version 1.04b11.

(in reply to Pymous)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> [1.04b11] Remove the 200km/Hex Absolute Value Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI