Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[1.04b6] Spin seems to have inverted effect on windspeed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Tech Support >> [1.04b6] Spin seems to have inverted effect on windspeed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[1.04b6] Spin seems to have inverted effect on windspeed - 7/10/2020 11:46:07 PM   
demiare

Previously I'd tried to get high windspeed by hunting for a planets with small spin period and suspected it isn't working correctly but only now I find a good example of it:

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: [1.04b6] Spin seems to have inverted effect on wind... - 7/10/2020 11:53:57 PM   
demiare

Will not create a separate topic but - if you'd disabled autosaves you ALSO disabled a turn0 save after planetary generation. In same time you can't enable autosaves in main menu, so you're forced to load/start a game or will lose ability to restart game on last planet. A bit annoying feature.

(in reply to demiare)
Post #: 2
RE: [1.04b6] Spin seems to have inverted effect on wind... - 7/11/2020 9:39:58 AM   
GodwinW

Slow spin is strong wind and long spin is slow wind.

I don't know if that's not as intended.

(in reply to demiare)
Post #: 3
RE: [1.04b6] Spin seems to have inverted effect on wind... - 7/11/2020 10:15:27 AM   
Falke

quote:

ORIGINAL: GodwinW

I don't know if that's not as intended.

That actually makes sense. Wind is generated by temperature differences. Slow spin will have longer heat/cool cycles and therefore a greater temp difference that drives higher windspeed.

(in reply to GodwinW)
Post #: 4
RE: [1.04b6] Spin seems to have inverted effect on wind... - 7/11/2020 10:21:34 AM   
demiare

quote:

ORIGINAL: GodwinW

quote:

The quicker the Planet spins the higher the Wind Speeds will be.

Game manual, page 150.

So someone is clearly wrong here : either manual or game

(in reply to Falke)
Post #: 5
RE: [1.04b6] Spin seems to have inverted effect on wind... - 7/11/2020 10:31:14 AM   
Culthrasa

Thought it was off.... in a previous game i tried to get as windy as possible, and was following the manual... thought i just reached the max possible... :)

(in reply to demiare)
Post #: 6
RE: [1.04b6] Spin seems to have inverted effect on wind... - 7/11/2020 11:21:09 AM   
Vic

gravity and air pressure play a big part as well for wind speed determination.

higher gravity is more wind speed

higher air pressure is less wind speed

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to Culthrasa)
Post #: 7
RE: [1.04b6] Spin seems to have inverted effect on wind... - 7/11/2020 11:40:38 AM   
demiare

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

gravity and air pressure play a big part as well for wind speed determination.

It's explaining what I'd get as this planet have 1237 mbar atmosphere. Seems atmosphere density is a main factor outweighing all others a lot (as planet have ~1.07 earth's density in addition to very fast spin).

Nice info, thank you. Even if this seems to oppose reality as usually dense atmospheres have faster wind, hehe.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 8
RE: [1.04b6] Spin seems to have inverted effect on wind... - 7/12/2020 8:02:46 AM   
Vic

Formula might well need fine tuning. The idea was that low air pressure would result in larger temperature differences and hence more wind.

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to demiare)
Post #: 9
RE: [1.04b6] Spin seems to have inverted effect on wind... - 7/12/2020 9:17:49 AM   
demiare

Well I'm not into astrophysics but a quick google show me this (https://mars.nasa.gov/news/1854/the-fact-and-fiction-of-martian-dust-storms/): on Mars strongest detected windstroms on surface were a mere 60 miles per hour so less then half as powerful as on Earth. Plus don't forget about atmospheric density as in your game windspeed is mostly about spreading rainfall around but it's quite hard to do in thin atmosphere - while winds maybe fast they also carry very little kinetic energy.
To compare - Venus have an higher average windspeeds then Earth with a ~same gravity and really dense atmosphere.
So seems your current formula cutting "dense" (in quotas as 1.2-1.5 earth one isn't really dense) atmosphere windspeeds to much.
P.S.Temperature difference mostly unaffected by atmosphere (aside from greenhouse effect), orbit & distance & star luminescence & planet surface albedo is more important here.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 10
RE: [1.04b6] Spin seems to have inverted effect on wind... - 7/12/2020 11:25:42 AM   
Vic

Hi,

I made a note to go over that Wind Speed calcs. It doesn't have super high priority, but i'll give it a check-up in the coming weeks.

Best wishes,
Vic

(in reply to demiare)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Tech Support >> [1.04b6] Spin seems to have inverted effect on windspeed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI