Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Late Fall 1939 to Spring 1940

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> War Room >> Late Fall 1939 to Spring 1940 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Late Fall 1939 to Spring 1940 - 7/8/2020 12:36:21 AM   
scout1

During this period, does the Axis basically sit back and build other than sub ops ?
Post #: 1
RE: Late Fall 1939 to Spring 1940 - 7/8/2020 12:56:40 AM   
sveint

If you want to lose, yes

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 2
RE: Late Fall 1939 to Spring 1940 - 7/8/2020 1:17:34 AM   
scout1

quote:

ORIGINAL: sveint

If you want to lose, yes

OK, you opened this one up …

If I don't want to lose, what else might I be up too ?

(in reply to sveint)
Post #: 3
RE: Late Fall 1939 to Spring 1940 - 7/8/2020 1:48:55 AM   
sveint

quote:

ORIGINAL: scout1

By asking this question you are already halfway there.
In my defense your question was very open-ended so it's impossible to give precise answers.

But in general: The clock is ticking for the Axis. Whatever you need to get done, you only
have until 1942 at best. So what is the situation in Africa? Greece? England? Spain?

Against a human opponent, even if all you do is build up for Barbarossa, you'll want to throw out
a few feints to keep them busy.

Personally I like hitting the UK wherever they are weakest, if odds are favourable.

< Message edited by sveint -- 7/8/2020 1:50:46 AM >

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 4
RE: Late Fall 1939 to Spring 1940 - 7/8/2020 5:03:35 PM   
ncc1701e

quote:

During this period, does the Axis basically sit back and build other than sub ops ?

I would suggest doing a comparison between Europe 1939 and Europe 1940 scenario.
You will see that Germany has more Armored and Mechanized corps to invade France...

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 5
RE: Late Fall 1939 to Spring 1940 - 7/8/2020 10:50:05 PM   
scout1

quote:

ORIGINAL: sveint

quote:

By asking this question you are already halfway there.
In my defense your question was very open-ended so it's impossible to give precise answers.

But in general: The clock is ticking for the Axis. Whatever you need to get done, you only
have until 1942 at best. So what is the situation in Africa? Greece? England? Spain?

Against a human opponent, even if all you do is build up for Barbarossa, you'll want to throw out
a few feints to keep them busy.

Personally I like hitting the UK wherever they are weakest, if odds are favourable.

Mini Sea Lion with poor weather ?
At this point, Italy isn't in the war so African adventure with germans only ?

Not complaining about advice as I want it, but not sure as to possible/valuable activity other than building units for the Spring offensive ....

(in reply to sveint)
Post #: 6
RE: Late Fall 1939 to Spring 1940 - 7/8/2020 11:51:35 PM   
kennonlightfoot

It depends on your over all strategy what you should build and where you should go on the offensive.

Do you plan to knock the UK out of the war for all practical purposes?
Then you are going to have to build the kinds of forces needed for Sea Lion and very quickly.

Do you want to force the UK to use all it's resources building merchants instead of units?
Then a heavy emphasis on U-Boats backed by surface fleets is need. Maybe Naval Air as well.

Do you want to take N. Africa, Middle East, and/or Persia/Iraq?
That means a major commitment of German troops.

Do you want to just keep the UK busy while you mass a overwhelming force against Russia?
Build, build, build.

Most strategies have both pros and cons. To do one thing very well means to do something else poorly.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 7
RE: Late Fall 1939 to Spring 1940 - 7/9/2020 12:26:37 AM   
scout1

quote:

ORIGINAL: kennonlightfoot

It depends on your over all strategy what you should build and where you should go on the offensive.

Then you are going to have to build the kinds of forces needed for Sea Lion and very quickly.

Do you want to force the UK to use all it's resources building merchants instead of units?
Then a heavy emphasis on U-Boats backed by surface fleets is need. Maybe Naval Air as well.

Do you want to just keep the UK busy while you mass a overwhelming force against Russia?
Build, build, build.

Most strategies have both pros and cons. To do one thing very well means to do something else poorly.

Thanks for the insight .... And each has its merits, but all of them seem to boil down to the Axis not doing much between Fall 1939 and Spring 1940 other than building the appropriate forces for the given strategy .... SeitzKreig during this period ...

(in reply to kennonlightfoot)
Post #: 8
RE: Late Fall 1939 to Spring 1940 - 7/9/2020 12:31:10 AM   
sveint

Sorry I misread the question, yes for all practical purposes you'll have to just let your forces rest.
But be prepared to exploit any good weather or other opportunities

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 9
RE: Late Fall 1939 to Spring 1940 - 7/9/2020 1:54:32 PM   
kennonlightfoot

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kennonlightfoot

Build, build, build.

Thanks for the insight .... And each has its merits, but all of them seem to boil down to the Axis not doing much between Fall 1939 and Spring 1940 other than building the appropriate forces for the given strategy .... SeitzKreig during this period ...

Only the build for overwhelming force against Russia means do nothing much militarily.

Although I think you stated your question incorrectly. In 39/40 it's winter. You can't do anything much in Winter unless you want to take heavy loses doing little. Don't you mean 40/41?

The only thing you have time for in 39 is Poland. If you get lucky on weather you might be able to take some of the lower countries ahead of spring. The 39/40 turns are mostly used to build up the kind of force you want to use in 1940 to take France. Depending on your strategy late 1940 will either be major actions against the UK or preparations for Barbarossa.

If you choose Barbarossa (Russia as your main objective) then 1939 through spring of 1941 is spent building the kind of force you think can beat Russia.

However, if you decide that the UK is your main objective, 1940 and possibly 1941 will be spent desperately trying to destroy the UK's ability to fight. This could range from major commitments to take N. Africa, Middle East, and/or Iraq/Persia to full invasion of the England.

Plus you have other choices like invading Spain so you can take Gibraltar and give the Italian navy access to the UK shipping. I have also seen people take Ireland and N. Ireland just to have bases to hit UK shipping.

There are more choices in the game than either side has resources to try. So it ultimately comes down to "What is your strategic Pan?" You build to support that and fight where needed to implement it.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> War Room >> Late Fall 1939 to Spring 1940 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI