Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Multiplayer/PBEM - How does it work.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Multiplayer/PBEM - How does it work. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Multiplayer/PBEM - How does it work. - 7/5/2020 10:42:18 PM   
mroyer

It appears Shadow Empire is not connected to any multiplayer server and the manual is very terse on the subject only implying that multiplayer exists without actually saying how it is done.

So... as near as I can tell,
(1) applying human players to major nations is akin to a hotseat mode - or so it seems, and
(2) choosing PBEM requires you to e-mail the saved scenario file around to opponents.

Is this correct?

It also appears that when PBEM mode is selected, there are no minor nations, just the majors.

Is that also correct?

-Mark R.
Post #: 1
RE: Multiplayer/PBEM - How does it work. - 7/5/2020 11:13:20 PM   
Nachtjager

You are correct about the 'hotseat' nature of PBEM. You play your turn and then pass the save on to the next person.

I've played in a few PBEM matches and there are absolutely minors. Slavers and raiders will give you problems just as happily as in single-player.

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 2
RE: Multiplayer/PBEM - How does it work. - 7/5/2020 11:18:33 PM   
eddieballgame

According to videos there are both Majors & Minors, as well as roaming stuff depending on the Planet Class creation.
The game offers true 'hotseat' & PBEM is done by transferring a very small turn file & playing the turn as if you were in a 'hotseat' game. (email or some other method)
I am open to try a game with anyone.

< Message edited by eddieballgame -- 7/5/2020 11:19:47 PM >

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 3
RE: Multiplayer/PBEM - How does it work. - 7/5/2020 11:46:47 PM   
mroyer

quote:

I've played in a few PBEM matches and there are absolutely minors. Slavers and raiders will give you problems just as happily as in single-player.

quote:

According to videos there are both Majors & Minors, as well as roaming stuff depending on the Planet Class creation.

So, the following map must be a wild happenstance of randomness. That was the scenario I got on the very first time I checked off the PBEM box. Everywhere is unaffiliated. It looks like there might be one minor nation in there!

Based on your comments, I just created another PBEM scenario and got a typical mix of minors and unaffiliated territory. Whew, I was worried that PBEM excluded them for some reason. On the flip side, it's kinda' cool that it can happen that way on an off-chance too.

-Mark R.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to eddieballgame)
Post #: 4
RE: Multiplayer/PBEM - How does it work. - 7/5/2020 11:49:38 PM   
mroyer

quote:

I am open to try a game with anyone.

I'm not sure I'm ready for a pbem game yet - I'm still getting some of the basic game mechanics straight in my head playing solo. Perhaps later, when I'm more comfortable with the game.

-Mark R.

Post #: 5
RE: Multiplayer/PBEM - How does it work. - 7/6/2020 12:05:51 AM   
eddieballgame

I will wait.

btw, I am still in beginner status with some progress made.
My attitude toward multiplayer games is the worst I can do is...not win.

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 6
RE: Multiplayer/PBEM - How does it work. - 7/6/2020 12:18:19 AM   
mroyer

quote:

My attitude toward multiplayer games is the worst I can do is...not win.

I'm more concerned about ruining the opponents' experience from my not knowing basic things yet or talking too long to figure my turn out, and stuff like that...

I'll get there - win/lose is far secondary to making sure everyone enjoys the experience

-Mark R.

Post #: 7
RE: Multiplayer/PBEM - How does it work. - 7/6/2020 12:39:55 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: mroyer

quote:

quote:

So, the following map must be a wild happenstance of randomness. That was the scenario I got on the very first time I checked off the PBEM box. Everywhere is unaffiliated. It looks like there might be one minor nation in there!

Based on your comments, I just created another PBEM scenario and got a typical mix of minors and unaffiliated territory. Whew, I was worried that PBEM excluded them for some reason. On the flip side, it's kinda' cool that it can happen that way on an off-chance too.

-Mark R.

- If the number of zones colonized during "Colonisation" is low enough.
- And enough cities got nuked by their enemies or crashing spaceships
- And the bulk of the surviving cities has to be used for majors.
This could happen, in theory. It has nothing to do with PBEM, however. It is just the luck of the draw.

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 8
RE: Multiplayer/PBEM - How does it work. - 7/12/2020 8:55:35 AM   
GazBot

Im up for my first PBEM if any takers - be fairly slow but steady - 5-7 turns per week. Open to ideas, was thinking along the lines of small to normal planet and was thinking EPIC development speed....Let me know if interested!!!

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 9
RE: Multiplayer/PBEM - How does it work. - 7/12/2020 11:08:57 AM   
eddieballgame

quote:

ORIGINAL: GazBot

Im up for my first PBEM if any takers - be fairly slow but steady - 5-7 turns per week. Open to ideas, was thinking along the lines of small to normal planet and was thinking EPIC development speed....Let me know if interested!!!

I am interested.
I like small maps & basic starts but will try whatever you want.
Time/speed is no issue for me.

(in reply to GazBot)
Post #: 10
RE: Multiplayer/PBEM - How does it work. - 7/12/2020 1:35:33 PM   
mroyer

quote:

ORIGINAL: eddieballgame

quote:

ORIGINAL: GazBot

I am interested.
I like small maps & basic starts but will try whatever you want.
Time/speed is no issue for me.

I'm don't feel "ready", yet, but considering the complexity of the game I probably never will feel ready. So, if you'll have me, I'm interested in joining in too; might as well just jump into the deep end of the pool - worry about whether I can swim after. I think I can keep up with GazBot's pacing.

-Mark R.

< Message edited by mroyer -- 7/12/2020 1:36:33 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: Multiplayer/PBEM - How does it work. - 7/12/2020 6:02:48 PM   
eddieballgame

Sounds good to me.
I will be back later today to see any progress per this.
The key to doing this is, first & foremost is...having fun.

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 12
RE: Multiplayer/PBEM - How does it work. - 7/13/2020 12:10:05 AM   
eheiser

I would like to try multiplayer. Maybe smaller map to start?

Post #: 13
RE: Multiplayer/PBEM - How does it work. - 7/13/2020 8:45:29 AM   
Saros

Hey everyone, I have been running a good number of games via my discord channel, it's easier and flows a lot better than via email.

Feel free to come over and grab an empty channel to play your game in, also helps with recruitment as there is a decent number of players around already.

https://discord.gg/ABTncCN

(in reply to eheiser)
Post #: 14
RE: Multiplayer/PBEM - How does it work. - 7/15/2020 4:10:24 AM   
DesertedFox

Just bought the game. Once I get my head around it I'll also be up for a multiplayer game.

(in reply to Saros)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Multiplayer/PBEM - How does it work. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI