Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

feedback after first extreme difficulty game 1.4 v0

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> feedback after first extreme difficulty game 1.4 v0 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
feedback after first extreme difficulty game 1.4 v0 - 7/4/2020 12:38:39 AM   
chb75

Finally i accepted the challenge and i started an extreme difficulty game

Siwa sweet spot earthlike medium planet
Tech speed EPIC (this was maybe a mistake!), 1 zone start with militia.
All the rest standard

I was searching for an AI mayor empires challenge : not a early game with raiders/slavers challenge.
This can be very tough, even in normal difficulty, in some planets without famers minors.

let's see the 5 mayor AI performance
1 killed very early by minors.
2 always lagging far behind with just 1 city, no hope, just struggling vs minors and free folk: 1,5% pop turn 150, like a minor with tech.

Finally the 2 real competitors:

The Theocracy
They declared war as soon i bordered them, without any delay or request.
Unfortunatly they had slightly worse infantry tech and no armors, so just with just inf 2 brigades i kept them quiet for 100 turns... it would have been a very easy picking, but i was busy because i meet:

The Militaristic empire
Encountered at the same time i meet the theocracy, they too declared war, immediately.
With combat armor and Laser regiments vs my padded and automatic rifles battalions, i was scared.
Nice fight, i also lost a border city and i went in full retreat to create a safe border on the mountains.
But in 20 turns i went on the offensive, combined arms, human vs AI and that's it
They later still outresearched me, with polymer armor (other key tech).
Still i am slowly winning, I am in the 150 turn and the game is going to be won : maybe in 100 turns.. but it will be won, no contest anymore.

feedback
1) 3 AI mayors were completely helpless, even after 150 turns they were put out of the game by minors: maybe for the EPIC tech speed -> stronger minors.
Mayor AI often struggles with minors.. too often... and difficulty level doesnt seem to change it
Next time i will try 1 army start to help them starting.
I think mayors should get some starting bonus vs minors in extreme.
2) Too easy to absorb diplomatically minors, and very, very rewarding This was my main victory reason. BTW is it intended that the absorb card nearly always succed?
3) Mayors do not create new zones, even when really necessary (i have seen huge useless zones).
4) Mayors seem to miss a real huge bonus in resource and IP, as I expected in extreme. I wanted to be submerged by enemies hordes, i was not. But maybe, if the other mayors didnt fail to grow, it could have been like that.
5) resource scavenging is my priority, in my opinion it is very rewarding: i build scavenging points everywhere, AI doesent seem to use as i do.
6) good posture and designs by mayors, better than me!

Even if i made many mistakes a (wrong research order, slow expansion) I won, not a cakewalk, but not even with the expected "extreme" difficulty.

Anyway funny game the tactical retreat and the setback (10/15 turns) was interesting, and panic hit me when i saw lasers vs my padded envirosuits.

keep up the good work!

< Message edited by chb75 -- 7/4/2020 12:41:25 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: feedback after first extreme difficulty game 1.4 v0 - 7/4/2020 1:59:30 AM   
Twotribes

The diplomacy cards are dependent on the type of minor it is and the ability of your director. Last 2 games I could not even play those cards because the difficulty was over 200 and my director only had 100 plus like 83. You just got lucky with the minors you met.

(in reply to chb75)
Post #: 2
RE: feedback after first extreme difficulty game 1.4 v0 - 7/4/2020 2:37:06 AM   
ramnblam

I play epic speed only and can confirm that in some games the minors absolutely wreck the AI majors. I think it's because it takes the AI longer to upgrade troops and that some minors have buggies and improvised tanks which wreck ****.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 3
RE: feedback after first extreme difficulty game 1.4 v0 - 7/4/2020 12:27:13 PM   
Destragon

quote:

ORIGINAL: chb75

2) Too easy to absorb diplomatically minors, and very, very rewarding This was my main victory reason. BTW is it intended that the absorb card nearly always succed?

I think there's two things making it easy.
Based on the one game where I took over the world diplomatically, it looked like minors have too low tradition values. There were a bunch with 0 tradition. Why do religious fanatics have 0 tradition? Felt kinda like a bug.
Unification has this -50 difficulty modifier, which I don't think it really needs. I think this modifier should be moved over to annexation.

(in reply to chb75)
Post #: 4
RE: feedback after first extreme difficulty game 1.4 v0 - 7/4/2020 2:22:15 PM   
MultiPurposeCanine

Wow

Would love to see a video playthrough on extreme difficulty

(in reply to Destragon)
Post #: 5
RE: feedback after first extreme difficulty game 1.4 v0 - 7/4/2020 2:31:18 PM   
GodwinW

quote:

ORIGINAL: ramnblam

I play epic speed only and can confirm that in some games the minors absolutely wreck the AI majors. I think it's because it takes the AI longer to upgrade troops and that some minors have buggies and improvised tanks which wreck ****.

Also happens on Regular. At times.
I like this. Makes us not trivialize minors.

(in reply to ramnblam)
Post #: 6
RE: feedback after first extreme difficulty game 1.4 v0 - 7/10/2020 9:25:00 AM   
Vic

Did you start this game with v1.04 as well?
For some tunings have been made to give the Majors a better start, especially on higher difficulty level.

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to GodwinW)
Post #: 7
RE: feedback after first extreme difficulty game 1.4 v0 - 7/10/2020 9:49:03 AM   
Vic

For beta6 added:
-In higher difficulty levels Minors do not have the AI combat bonus against a Major AI

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 8
RE: feedback after first extreme difficulty game 1.4 v0 - 7/10/2020 10:22:27 AM   
Vhalor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

For beta6 added:
-In higher difficulty levels Minors do not have the AI combat bonus against a Major AI

Interesting change. Might really spice things up a bit on extreme.

"Pull and obtain wisdom. Push and invite ruin." ― Cult of LIS

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 9
RE: feedback after first extreme difficulty game 1.4 v0 - 7/10/2020 1:38:43 PM   
Smidlee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

For beta6 added:

The option to separate players starting zones and armies from AI Majors would be nice. That way you can give the AI mayor an extra zone and/or armies without giving the player the same advantage. The option to set up teams would be nice as well. That way I can set up a game with one AI empire ahead in tech (tech 5) , zones and armies against 2 or 3 starting empire with tech 3.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 10
RE: feedback after first extreme difficulty game 1.4 v0 - 7/10/2020 9:02:01 PM   
chb75

Here we are:

1.4b05 game
small Cerbero world
All standard except:
1 army start
i put again Epic tech :)

2 mayors and bunch of nomads, mutants, slavers and just 6 minors with cities (fanatics and raiders).

This time the mayors were expanding well, still no new cities, but maybe is not even the right strategy :)
Until midgame they were both with 3 cities with slightly higher score than me.
I conquered 1 minor, then founded 2 cities and finally conquered the last minor(just before one AI).
The world is basically divided in 3 with just one minor city standing.

The militaristic is hostile but i managed to keep pace, he was fighting with other AI
The theocratic after 20 turns from contact declared war, but went directly on the defensive.

Same tech, normal fight WWI syle.. but suddendly he started to experience a massive generalized troop starving... (or at least i noticed it suddendly).
I dont know why, as their core land are still completely untouched and i see at least 3 agridome level IV in one zone.
Just the SHQ and few units around his main zone are not starving (i have 12 spies on him :) )
I just declared war to the other Ai to check: also his troops are starving!

So this time they were fighting well vs minors, but something weird happens ... maybe in the supply system ?

i can send the savegame if needed (i dotn know if it is possible ot switch to AI to check what happens!)

(in reply to Smidlee)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> feedback after first extreme difficulty game 1.4 v0 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI