Finally i accepted the challenge and i started an extreme difficulty game
Siwa sweet spot earthlike medium planet
Tech speed EPIC (this was maybe a mistake!), 1 zone start with militia.
All the rest standard
I was searching for an AI mayor empires challenge : not a early game with raiders/slavers challenge.
This can be very tough, even in normal difficulty, in some planets without famers minors.
let's see the 5 mayor AI performance
1 killed very early by minors.
2 always lagging far behind with just 1 city, no hope, just struggling vs minors and free folk: 1,5% pop turn 150, like a minor with tech.
Finally the 2 real competitors:
They declared war as soon i bordered them, without any delay or request.
Unfortunatly they had slightly worse infantry tech and no armors, so just with just inf 2 brigades i kept them quiet for 100 turns... it would have been a very easy picking, but i was busy because i meet:
The Militaristic empire
Encountered at the same time i meet the theocracy, they too declared war, immediately.
With combat armor and Laser regiments vs my padded and automatic rifles battalions, i was scared.
Nice fight, i also lost a border city and i went in full retreat to create a safe border on the mountains.
But in 20 turns i went on the offensive, combined arms, human vs AI and that's it
They later still outresearched me, with polymer armor (other key tech).
Still i am slowly winning, I am in the 150 turn and the game is going to be won : maybe in 100 turns.. but it will be won, no contest anymore.
1) 3 AI mayors were completely helpless, even after 150 turns they were put out of the game by minors: maybe for the EPIC tech speed -> stronger minors.
Mayor AI often struggles with minors.. too often... and difficulty level doesnt seem to change it
Next time i will try 1 army start to help them starting.
I think mayors should get some starting bonus vs minors in extreme.
2) Too easy to absorb diplomatically minors, and very, very rewarding This was my main victory reason. BTW is it intended that the absorb card nearly always succed?
3) Mayors do not create new zones, even when really necessary (i have seen huge useless zones).
4) Mayors seem to miss a real huge bonus in resource and IP, as I expected in extreme. I wanted to be submerged by enemies hordes, i was not. But maybe, if the other mayors didnt fail to grow, it could have been like that.
5) resource scavenging is my priority, in my opinion it is very rewarding: i build scavenging points everywhere, AI doesent seem to use as i do.
6) good posture and designs by mayors, better than me!
Even if i made many mistakes a (wrong research order, slow expansion) I won, not a cakewalk, but not even with the expected "extreme" difficulty.
Anyway funny game the tactical retreat and the setback (10/15 turns) was interesting, and panic hit me when i saw lasers vs my padded envirosuits.
keep up the good work!
< Message edited by chb75 -- 7/4/2020 12:41:25 AM >