Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[B1147.4] Runway access points, no effect on takeoffs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [B1147.4] Runway access points, no effect on takeoffs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[B1147.4] Runway access points, no effect on takeoffs - 6/30/2020 5:30:54 PM   
AndrewJ

Hello,

Here's a test scenario in B1147.4, of an airbase which has had all of its runway access points set to 99% damage, which should render them unusable.

However, aircraft can still cycle through the access points at their normal speed and take off normally.

Test scenario attached.

(Perhaps this is semi-WAD, to represent towing planes around craters, across the grass, etc., and starting them up on the runway itself? This would presumably have a major time penalty, however, and that does not seem to be the case here.)

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: [B1147.4] Runway access points, no effect on takeoffs - 7/1/2020 6:29:59 AM   
KnightHawk75

The % doesn't matter if the actual component isn't flagged as damaged.
If you set the % manually but do not actually go in and change the damage to heavy etc on the components manually you'll get this result. Pretty sure that's WAD.

For instance I renamed these all so they have numbers and looked at RAP 8, south most arrow in pic 1.

{ flood = 'NoFlooding', dp = 10, fires = 'NoFire', startdp = '1000' }
{ comp_type = 'AirFacility', comp_name = 'Runway Access Point (1x Very Large Aircraft (26.1-75m Long))', comp_guid = '3hix3t-0hlub9mver03q', comp_status = 'Operational', comp_dbid = 47 }

vs. when you go in and actually tell the component it's damaged manually in addition to the overall unit being 99% damaged, looks same\similar btw if you actually bomb the crap out of it only difference is fires usually.

{ flood = 'NoFlooding', dp = 10, fires = 'NoFire', startdp = '1000' }
{ comp_type = 'AirFacility', comp_name = 'Runway Access Point (1x Very Large Aircraft (26.1-75m Long))', comp_guid = '3hix3t-0hlub9mver04a', comp_statusR = 'None', comp_status = 'Damaged', comp_damage = 'Heavy', comp_dbid = 47 }

Similar if I properly flag all your RAP's manually as properly damaged (attached updated scene), you can see in attached Lion #12 is ordered to take off but can't (loops waiting for taxiway). Similarly Lion #1 Even though he can technically land (I added a parking spot for him shelter#12 next to RAP#1) on the runway, he can't get to his shelter because all the RAPS are now disabled as they would be if actually hit to their breaking point. As soon as you repair a RAP or one\mark it operational (minus his delay time for constantly checking), he'll move there and then to the new shelter. Go ahead and RTB him and watch for 1-2min after landing as he gets stuck there, then repair RAP #1 (Mark it operational not damaged) for instance and watch him move (give it 1-2 minutes or so), and then alternatively watch lion #12 use the RAP after that and launch (again give it 1-2 minutes for his cycle).

I don't think there is a problem here, unless you just want the editor gui to flag things based on % damage, idk though, I sort of like it the way it is not disabling things automatically, leaving it to the author to determine what components are actually damaged and if they are operational or not. This is a case of a unit with only one real component, but when dealing with others there can be dozens and it's usually easier to go in and flag the ones you want damaged vs. having to undo ones you don't if the editor had decided to 'do it for me'.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by KnightHawk75 -- 7/1/2020 8:01:44 AM >

(in reply to AndrewJ)
Post #: 2
RE: [B1147.4] Runway access points, no effect on takeoffs - 7/1/2020 1:20:40 PM   
AndrewJ

That's odd, because in some cases you can get a warning message explicitly saying the performance depends on damage, not status. This is what you see when you set the access point's Damage Status to "Operational".

When I manually change the Status to 'Damaged (Light)', or anything worse, then the access point stops working, even if the percentile damage is zero. Alternatively, so long as I leave the Status as 'Operational', then the access point works. Percentile damage has no effect on the performance of the access point, which is the opposite of what the warning message says.

It looks like runways work the other way around. Status has no effect on a runway's behaviour, and they work purely on damage. Once a runway passes 75% damage it no longer functions.

So it looks like the access points and runways are working different ways from each other.

< Message edited by AndrewJ -- 7/1/2020 1:21:41 PM >

(in reply to KnightHawk75)
Post #: 3
RE: [B1147.4] Runway access points, no effect on takeoffs - 7/1/2020 1:31:41 PM   
AndrewJ

(So I guess the lesson here is, send your BAP100s to hit the access points, where even a scratch might render the access point useless, but don't waste your time hitting the runways where your 4 points of damage aren't going to accomplish anything...)

< Message edited by AndrewJ -- 7/1/2020 1:43:37 PM >

(in reply to AndrewJ)
Post #: 4
RE: [B1147.4] Runway access points, no effect on takeoffs - 7/1/2020 4:58:41 PM   
KnightHawk75

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndrewJ

(So I guess the lesson here is, send your BAP100s to hit the access points, where even a scratch might render the access point useless, but don't waste your time hitting the runways where your 4 points of damage aren't going to accomplish anything...)

Yup. Why do you think everyone is always commenting about focusing on hitting access points.
There definitely are times though that RAPS so outnumber runways that runways are still the better choice but on average, yeah... hit the RAPs first.

quote:

That's odd, because in some cases you can get a warning message explicitly saying the performance depends on damage, not status. This is what you see when you set the access point's Damage Status to "Operational".

Yeah I don't know, that message seems relatively newish, until lately (CMO) I don't remember it being there but maybe it's just bad memory. I think it's meant to alert people to know what they're doing when messing with the settings when dealing with certain platforms with more than one sub-component and settings (su-ports\su-airbases\ships\etc). Keep in mind with some unit have a whole list of sub-components some with dps so the % is usually calculated\updated in game based off the whole list from my experiences. I find it's best when it doubt not to screw with the % setting manually unless you're trying to do something really specific, like with individual units with only 1 real component like your case with a runway.

(in reply to AndrewJ)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [B1147.4] Runway access points, no effect on takeoffs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI