I know that this has been discussed before, but having seen some more playing of the early axis invasion of Russia, the developers of this game need to move to fix this imbalance in game strategy ASAP! Here are some of the issues:
1. Most even average players can take France by May of 1940. The better players can take it in March or April. This is against even a strong defense of France by the allies where some axis losses are inflicted.
2. After taking France the most difficutl problem for the axis is the logistics of getting forces back east to invade Russia. This can be messed up, but even if it is, the axis still have 2 YEARS TO CRUSH RUSSIA BEFORE THEY GET SIGNIFICANT RESEARCH TO HELP THEM.
3. If the axis player gets lucky and has level 2 infantry by the fall of 1940 the Russians get destroyed even faster, as even at a fast clip the Russians don’t get level 2 infantry till the late summer of 1941. It is too late by then.
4. The increase in US mobilization does not do enough to correct the imbalance of the early Russian invasion. The increase doesn’t take place until December or so of 1940, then the US mobilization stays flat for most of 1941. This is not enough of a penalty to deter axis early Russia strategy. The axis will knock the Russians out fhe war before the US can bring any significant forces to France or Europe in general.
5. Even if the Russians are able to muster enough forces with research by 1942, by then, their natiional morale is so low that the axis still keep rolling. (In general, this national morale issue for Russia is too much of a penalty for them.).
6. Yes, the allies could go for some other level of the victory conditions, but from the looks of it, early Russia is for sure at least an axis tactical victory.
I would like to hear some thoughts from the developers.