Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Options for Hex Quantity vs Planet Size

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Options for Hex Quantity vs Planet Size Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Options for Hex Quantity vs Planet Size - 6/28/2020 3:58:31 PM   
Remington427

After successfully beating one game, I can safely say this is among the best 4x games I have ever played, it truly is a diamond in the rough. Unfortunately, when I play on a map with a large number of hexes, computational time can become excessively long. This is essentially my one major gripe with the game. The turn times become unbearable at normal or large planets. I feel that this problem could become somewhat remedied if one could have more control over planet generation for small planets. If you want to have a map with a relatively short turn time, then you must go for planets that are within the 0.15 to 0.35g range. The problem with this though is that planet choice essentially limits the biosphere, atmosphere and general setting for the game. If the user was allowed to have small maps that possessed the physical characteristics of larger maps, albeit with less hexes, then the game could be significantly improved.

Essentially what I am asking for is an option to disconnect the number of hexes from the actual size of the planet for computational time's sake. If this was the case, one could have the characteristics of a planet in the 0.75G to 1.25G range, while still having the number of hexes seen on a planet in the 0.25G to 0.4G range. Presumably, this could reduce computational load s well.
Post #: 1
RE: Options for Hex Quantity vs Planet Size - 6/28/2020 5:10:35 PM   
Atros

quote:

ORIGINAL: Remington427

After successfully beating one game, I can safely say this is among the best 4x games I have ever played, it truly is a diamond in the rough. Unfortunately, when I play on a map with a large number of hexes, computational time can become excessively long. This is essentially my one major gripe with the game. The turn times become unbearable at normal or large planets. I feel that this problem could become somewhat remedied if one could have more control over planet generation for small planets. If you want to have a map with a relatively short turn time, then you must go for planets that are within the 0.15 to 0.35g range. The problem with this though is that planet choice essentially limits the biosphere, atmosphere and general setting for the game. If the user was allowed to have small maps that possessed the physical characteristics of larger maps, albeit with less hexes, then the game could be significantly improved.

Essentially what I am asking for is an option to disconnect the number of hexes from the actual size of the planet for computational time's sake. If this was the case, one could have the characteristics of a planet in the 0.75G to 1.25G range, while still having the number of hexes seen on a planet in the 0.25G to 0.4G range. Presumably, this could reduce computational load s well.

I also made already request for all the traits that have effect in the planet generation to be made enforceable before generation, as I think that currently making a specific kind of planet you want to play takes absolutely too much time.

Why are you by the way comparing planets by their surface gravity (g)? Mercury and Mars have quite different sizes and masses, but Mercury has still higher surface gravity thanks for its much higher density. As far as I know, total mass of the planet and tectonic activity are the deciding factor for most of their other traits like atmospheric density and habitability (if positioned on the systems life-zone).

(in reply to Remington427)
Post #: 2
RE: Options for Hex Quantity vs Planet Size - 6/28/2020 6:08:08 PM   
Remington427

I compare them by their surface gravity because that appears to be the most salient metric in the game for the creation of the biosphere. For certain kinds of planets, it seems as though the N2 and O2 thresholds begin to appear at around 0.5G to 0.6G. I'm sure this has a basis in reality, I just wish there was a way to get the same features on a small map.

(in reply to Atros)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Options for Hex Quantity vs Planet Size Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI