Air Supply - Fuel, REDUCES MP???!?!?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

CJM

Air Supply - Fuel, REDUCES MP???!?!?

Post by CJM »

I have checked [16.3.4. AIR TRANSPORT OF SUPPLIES AND FUEL] and searched the rule book to no avail. I have a question as this has happened to me several times when supplying my motorized spearheads by air.

Each time I have supplied a unit with fuel by air, its MP allowance DROPS. Is that a normal part of the game?
The Wehrmacht that set out to conquer Russia in 1941 was a poor army with strictly limited resources.
- Supplying War (1977)
eskuche

RE: Air Supply - Fuel, REDUCES MP???!?!?

Post by eskuche »

I’m 100% it’s documented that it reduces by 1/7 of the maximum MP allowance. Maybe not in that section.
CJM

Post by CJM »

Thank you, so I'm not crazy.

Now I have to find that passage in the rule book or I won't be able to sleep tonight.
The Wehrmacht that set out to conquer Russia in 1941 was a poor army with strictly limited resources.
- Supplying War (1977)
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Shupov

Post by Shupov »

Yep, be careful not to use Air Supply with units that are nearly surrounded and need to escape. The reduced MP can mean the difference between life and death!
STALINADE

The real RED soda!
CJM

Post by CJM »

Thank you all! It makes sense as the unit in question would likely need to halt, protect the planes dropping supplies, then unload etc. the fuel. So that should take a day or so of standing still.

For anyone looking here in the future, as stated already on this thread (h/t Denniss) the ruling is in the updated manual, section 16.3.5.1 -- Air Transport of Supply, page 151. It states in part:

"The act of receiving any airdropped cargo reduces the target units movement points and strategic movement points by 1/7 of default allowance (rounding up). Note that units can still receive airdropped cargo even if they have zero movement points."

That latter point may be interesting. So I would recommend supplying air drop fuel to your units AFTER they have completed their movement fir the turn. This will not work if the computer is 'on to you' and reduces the NEXT turn's MP by 1/7.
- Supplying War (1977)
Vifee

Post by Vifee »

I’ve noticed that isolated units don’t seem to lose MP when getting airdropped supplies. You can supply an isolated unit until it goes up to airhead supply and then use it for the breakout attempt. And MP “lost” from receiving a fuel drop definitely doesn’t carry over to the next turn, air supplying mot divs is how the German can keep an offensive going even at the very edge of the supply range.

Return to “The War Room”