Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Steam update path unsuccessful

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> Steam update path unsuccessful Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Steam update path unsuccessful - 6/26/2020 12:13:27 AM   
jsetear

I bought the game on Steam. When I open it on my computer (from Steam) and hit the "Check for Update" button, I get the "Welcome" screen. When I click on "Next," I get the "Download" screen, but it then produces the error: "Unable to determine the installed version. / Could not get the specified value's data." This has happened more than once.
Post #: 1
RE: Steam update path unsuccessful - 6/26/2020 12:15:59 AM   
larryfulkerson

this is another reason I never use Steam. I'm not sure what needs to be done to fix your situation but if it were me
I think I'd enter a trouble ticket with the Matrix Games Help Desk or whatever it's called now. You may need to abandon
the Steam version and just go with the regular download. I'm not sure. Let us know what they say will you?

Pink Floyd - The Best of Pulse *****
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVhYW6e3qc8

(in reply to jsetear)
Post #: 2
RE: Steam update path unsuccessful - 6/26/2020 1:48:34 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: jsetear

I bought the game on Steam. When I open it on my computer (from Steam) and hit the "Check for Update" button, I get the "Welcome" screen. When I click on "Next," I get the "Download" screen, but it then produces the error: "Unable to determine the installed version. / Could not get the specified value's data." This has happened more than once.

Had it on Steam from day one. Never a problem. This is because Steam automatically lets you know there is an update. The Play button will say Update when there is an update. Click that when it says Update. This is one reason I use Steam. It lets you know there is an update without you having to check for one. NEVER use the update on the launcher.

Heck I never used the update on the launcher even before I got a Steam key. It isn't all that reliable. And then when you get the snafu they had it the last update the launcher update is fairly useless.

Bottom line, never update unless the Play button says Update. Don't use the launcher update...ever.

As for people not using Steam trying to tell you what's wrong...lulz.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 6/26/2020 1:54:10 AM >

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

(in reply to jsetear)
Post #: 3
RE: Steam update path unsuccessful - 6/26/2020 8:58:46 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

I bought the game on Steam.

Try to resist the temptation, it only causes problems and reduces the effectiveness of game development

If you can't even update a game yourself, why are you attempting to play complicated historical simulations such as TOAW? That is not an insult directed at the poster, it is a statement of fact everyone should consider, much like buying a specialized bike to run a cross country course when you will never do it anyway. Also, developers need to spend more time on their games, and none of that time should be spent on babysitting a third party company such as steam [it is good for something, just not this thing].

(in reply to jsetear)
Post #: 4
RE: Steam update path unsuccessful - 6/26/2020 11:18:14 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

quote:

I bought the game on Steam.

Try to resist the temptation, it only causes problems and reduces the effectiveness of game development

If you can't even update a game yourself, why are you attempting to play complicated historical simulations such as TOAW? That is not an insult directed at the poster, it is a statement of fact everyone should consider, much like buying a specialized bike to run a cross country course when you will never do it anyway. Also, developers need to spend more time on their games, and none of that time should be spent on babysitting a third party company such as steam [it is good for something, just not this thing].

Not Steam's fault. It's like buying seven cars and driving them all over and then by an eighth car and can't figure out how to turn it key to unlock the door.

So now that this has turned into yet another tiresome Steam bashing thread i'm outta here.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lobster -- 6/26/2020 11:32:48 AM >

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 5
RE: Steam update path unsuccessful - 6/26/2020 8:16:49 PM   
jsetear

In terms of Spazbot 253's "not an insult," I am definitely smart enough to click on a button that says, "Check for Updates," and then hit, "Next." If it doesn't work, I don't see how that is down to me. (Also, not to turn into the Metaphor Police, but I didn't buy a cross-country bike and never use it; I bought a game and DID try to use it.

And as to whether developers should baby-sit Steam, I didn't ask Matrix to put it on Steam; once they do, it should work. If I paid $40 for the game and it wouldn't download, should I give up because it might distract the developers?

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 6
RE: Steam update path unsuccessful - 6/26/2020 8:19:49 PM   
jsetear

Thanks. It is helpful to know that it will tell me when it needs an update.

It would also be helpful if Matrix or Steam would have told me what you told me, since they give you a button on the launch screen to check for updates. My presumption is that buttons are functional.

Or at least, if they give you a button and it is superfluous, it would be better if the error message said, "Game is up to date," rather than "Unable to determine the installed version / Could not get the specified value's data."

Anyway, the two paragraphs above are about Steam's failings and have nothing to do with the fact that you gave me a helpful reply. Thanks!

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 7
RE: Steam update path unsuccessful - 6/26/2020 9:04:46 PM   
Lobster

I'd have to say if Slitherine/Matrix puts a game on Steam that is updated through Steam the update button on the launcher should be disabled at the very least, yes. Or just remove the graphics for it and also disable it, better yet.

(in reply to jsetear)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> Steam update path unsuccessful Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI