Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Upgrading to paved road follows dirtroad to precisely

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Tech Support >> Upgrading to paved road follows dirtroad to precisely Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Upgrading to paved road follows dirtroad to precisely - 6/25/2020 6:30:19 PM   
zgrssd

When "Upgrading" a road to paved roads, the planning seems to slavishly follow any existing road. Even if there is a path that is significantly easier.

In my example the dirt road went over 6 tiles of Glaciers, costing 18k to upgrade to paved road.
I could cut that down to 1 Tile, just with a small redirect:
South, 2 South-west, South, South-west until you hit the dirt road down there.

We now have the option to remove any leftover dirt-road pieces for almost nothing. It would really help if we could do that.

Dirt road Image:

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Upgrading to paved road follows dirtroad to precisely - 6/25/2020 6:32:33 PM   
zgrssd

My ideal case would have looked like this (using dirt roads, as I lack IP for a full paved one):

Attachment (1)

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 2
RE: Upgrading to paved road follows dirtroad to precisely - 6/25/2020 6:38:24 PM   
zgrssd

It would be really helpfull if road upgrades would not follow dirt roads throuh terribly expensive terrain. After all, those roads may have been placed for free (map generation, AI) and so were not placed properly.
If a general rule would be a problem, this could be hidden behind a Modifier Key (Shift, Alt, Ctrl)

It would also be nice if the map generation and AI free Roadbuilding could at least try to avoid glaciers and other hard to build terrain.
Maybe get a "direct" and a "cost efficient" route, and pick the cost efficient one if it crosses roughly the same amount of hexes? Not more the +10% maybe.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
RE: Upgrading to paved road follows dirtroad to precisely - 6/26/2020 4:49:43 AM   
ramnblam

It would make sense for it to hug the dirt road if you got a discount for paving an established road. I've just been removing dirt roads if they annoy me or look like a weird racetrack.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 4
RE: Upgrading to paved road follows dirtroad to precisely - 6/26/2020 6:40:16 AM   
Culthrasa

Agree ramnblam... a new road is as expensive as upgrading a route... feels off...:)

(in reply to ramnblam)
Post #: 5
RE: Upgrading to paved road follows dirtroad to precisely - 6/26/2020 8:26:42 AM   
Vic

This will remain like this for the upcoming v1.04.

However after that I am planning to severely decrease the cost for constructing one road type over another. Which will need it to stay like this.

Best wishes,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to Culthrasa)
Post #: 6
RE: Upgrading to paved road follows dirtroad to precisely - 6/26/2020 11:15:42 AM   
GodwinW

I like that!

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 7
RE: Upgrading to paved road follows dirtroad to precisely - 6/26/2020 11:35:03 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

This will remain like this for the upcoming v1.04.

However after that I am planning to severely decrease the cost for constructing one road type over another. Which will need it to stay like this.

Best wishes,
Vic

The simplest way would be to add a fixed Trailblazer penalty to each terrain type, that you pay no mater wich road/rail you are putting there first.
For upgrades, following the existing road would be inherently the cheapest way - no additional trailblazer penalty.
If it stays at a percentile modifier, chances are really good that going the originally cheaper way would be cheaper even with the Upgrade.

And I still think the original path-drawing should at least consider the cheapest route before going for the direct one. With Morac there were two cases where the cheapest and most direct route were the same amount of Hexes overall, or +1 Hex over 15 in total.
So the road would have looked a lot more sensible overall.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 6/26/2020 11:36:06 AM >

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 8
RE: Upgrading to paved road follows dirtroad to precisely - 6/26/2020 3:36:23 PM   
Destragon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

Nice, I was hoping for that.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 9
RE: Upgrading to paved road follows dirtroad to precisely - 6/26/2020 4:26:56 PM   
TheSquid

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

The simplest way would be to add a fixed Trailblazer penalty to each terrain type, that you pay no mater wich road/rail you are putting there first.
For upgrades, following the existing road would be inherently the cheapest way - no additional trailblazer penalty.
If it stays at a percentile modifier, chances are really good that going the originally cheaper way would be cheaper even with the Upgrade.

This makes the most sense to me, since to build any kind of road or rail through terrain the first time should naturally account for modifying the terrain if required (e.g. building bridges, tunnels, etc.). It would mostly make sense for this initial "trailblazer" fee to be mostly waived for future roads.

However, I say "mostly" because IMO there should still be some terrain modifier applying in less-than-ideal terrain - e.g. there might already be a dirt road with a bridge there, but one would expect a paved road to be larger and any bridge it traverses to be much sturdier (e.g. to handle heavier loads, not wear out as fast, etc. since paved roads allow more more Logistics points, therefore it's implied there's more traffic).

But in general, the largest fee should be for the first road through difficult terrain - IMO it's a fair tradeoff of realism vs. gameplay/QOL and potentially reduces/eliminates issues with automatic road creation.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Tech Support >> Upgrading to paved road follows dirtroad to precisely Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI