Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Change requested to political profile demands (1.03 beta 11)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Change requested to political profile demands (1.03 beta 11) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Change requested to political profile demands (1.03 bet... - 6/25/2020 1:47:37 PM   
GodwinW

I've been struggling with political 'raise profile' demands since the game came out. It just still doesn't work for me.

To make it clear, I mean those where they say: "X demands that we raise Democracy from the current 43 to 53".

It just hardly ever works. I have spent my last games denying those requests and keeping track of whether it would have been possible. In at least 80% of the time it wasn't possible indeed.

So, if you WANT such a profile to increase AND you get the demand, you have to DENY the demand in order to be set back 'just' 5 points instead of the 10? or more if you fail.
It makes zero sense:
Yes I agree we need to raise democracy that's why I deny your demand to raise democracy since that has the net result of keeping Democracy the highest, with 80+% certainty, and you who also wanted to raise democracy should know by now to never demand it of me or we'll lower our democracy which you don't want.

I want something that I can count on to raise it. I don't care if it costs money or something I can accumulate before the demand timer runs out, but I want to be able to DO something instead of being at the mercy of RNG.
That, or I'd wish Vic could design other demands to replace these with so these never occur anymore.

They are never fun. Even if I want Autocracy to lower and they demand me to raise Autocracy I will deny it because otherwise my word score will go down a lot. So only when I know all the odds and chances and can manipulate the rng (increase unrest with a fate-giving stratagem for example) to have a decent (say 80+%) chance of making it I will agree.

For me, how I am, I will deny them 100% of the time as I still don't have enough of a grasp on the rng to make better-informed calls.

So that means there's zero difference in my response whether I agree with the demand or not.

Suggestion for change:

* Add 'invest in political profile' option to the game: Cost in credits and PP, increases the profile. Costs 5 turns, results gets modified by a throw of a fitting Cabinet member after those 5 turns.

- OR - (I'd prefer this second one)

* Change demands to 'choose the option that maximally increases this particular profile every single time in the next 10 turns when you have a chance to choose it'. This means that if such a chance never occurs you don't get penalized, you can choose to break your word if the '++ democracy' choice would upset a lot of people, and you actually raise the profile in the end.
You will agree to this demand if you also want to raise this profile and deny it when you don't, restoring common sense :p

< Message edited by GodwinW -- 6/25/2020 1:49:50 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Change requested to political profile demands (1.03... - 6/25/2020 2:05:27 PM   
zgrssd

The suggestion to get cards to buff a profile (for a high cost of course) came up before.
Profiles need a reiable way to push them, or those quests become impossible.

Also if you could do a relative success it would be nice. If I only failed by 1 point, that still is most of the points there.

(in reply to GodwinW)
Post #: 2
RE: Change requested to political profile demands (1.03... - 6/25/2020 2:14:24 PM   
76mm

I've had this same problem and now routinely turn down all "raise profile" demands. Your suggestions seem like a good idea to me.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
RE: Change requested to political profile demands (1.03... - 6/25/2020 2:26:31 PM   
ramnblam

It's not a realist expectation to be able to deliver every factions demands nor should it be. Certain cults and related events can help you boost profiles that can be difficult otherwise.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 4
RE: Change requested to political profile demands (1.03... - 6/25/2020 4:40:02 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: ramnblam

It's not a realist expectation to be able to deliver every factions demands nor should it be. Certain cults and related events can help you boost profiles that can be difficult otherwise.

Rejecting a demand costs you 5 Word score.

So the demand does not work work for anything but forcing word score down. That seems unintentional, given that all other demands are actively archievable.

(in reply to ramnblam)
Post #: 5
RE: Change requested to political profile demands (1.03... - 6/25/2020 7:52:40 PM   
GodwinW

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: ramnblam

Rejecting a demand costs you 5 Word score.

So the demand does not work work for anything but forcing word score down. That seems unintentional, given that all other demands are actively archievable.

5 Word score AND 5 points in the profile that they request you raise. The 5 Word score is not the problem for me.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 6
RE: Change requested to political profile demands (1.03... - 6/25/2020 8:11:55 PM   
LordAldrich

The word score really makes no sense either - there's already another feedback thread dedicated to that. Saying "no" clearly and upfront shouldn't damage your reputation for following through on your word. You're doing exactly what you said, which was "no".

(in reply to GodwinW)
Post #: 7
RE: Change requested to political profile demands (1.03... - 6/25/2020 9:56:10 PM   
GodwinW

Agreed.

However, I'm willing to ignore that, as one could say that never committing to anything makes you be perceived as weak and your indecisiveness or lack of communicating a clear purpose or w/e could be that Word penalty. Not so much lying, but just never taking a firm stance on things.

(in reply to LordAldrich)
Post #: 8
RE: Change requested to political profile demands (1.03... - 6/25/2020 11:44:30 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: LordAldrich

The word score really makes no sense either - there's already another feedback thread dedicated to that. Saying "no" clearly and upfront shouldn't damage your reputation for following through on your word. You're doing exactly what you said, which was "no".

It took them considerable political resources to make that demand. Of course it should cos you soemthing to just ignore it!
This is not some "I wanna". This is around "we actualy got a resolution in the Senate passed, so you are by law required to do this now."

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 6/25/2020 11:45:33 PM >

(in reply to LordAldrich)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Change requested to political profile demands (1.03 beta 11) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI