TFs created under the Automatic Convoy system have always, subject to certain conditions, been capable of returning back to San Francisco, Colombo or Osaka, with raw materials. This state of affairs has always been obvious from:
(a) s.15.5 of the manual
(b) posts dated 19 July 2009 and 8 August 2010 from Don Bowen
(c) post dated 2 January 2011 from michaelm75au
(d) patch #6, code change fix #71
(e) January 2011 explanation from michaem75au in various posts regarding the circumstances which led to (d) above
(f) players posting their Operations Reports which list specific TFs loading resources
Up to a point, I can understand players who aren't interested in using the Auto Convoy system not doing any of the above homework but where is the excuse for those actually interested in the system to not do their research. There is no compelling reason why I should do their work, especially when zero facts have been provided to support the assertion that raw materials are not carried on the return trip.
For the benefit of those who have tried to be helpful in this thread, I will point out the following pertinent conditions.
1. The Auto Convoy system is entirely operated by the computer. The only human input is in selecting the participating bases and providing the ships.
2. Based on demand, processed goods (supplies/fuel) are carried on the outward trip to participating bases. For the return trip from that base, the same TF may load raw materials (resources/oil) under certain circumstances.
3. Only those raw materials surplus to local requirements are potentially available to be loaded for the return trip. Before you ask, no I won't state how the surplus is determined. The devs have had many opportunities to disclose that threshold if they were inclined to do so.
4. Loading of any return cargo is dependent on the TF being actually docked. As the system is operated by the computer the standard rules for auto docking apply, the player cannot manually force docking.
5. Originally whether a return cargo was taken on board was dependent solely on checks at that base. The patch #6 change introduced a further check to take into account the raw material stocks held at the originating base (that is San Francisco, Colombo or Osaka) as appropriate. If a bug has been introduced, you can thank the Allied players who convinced michaelm75au that San Francisco did not need the delivery of raw materials.
6. Irrespective of whether a base has surplus raw materials, or the TF can dock at the port, not all bases qualify to provide a return cargo. Qualification is dependent on regional location. Again, before you ask, no I won't state how the qualification is determined. The devs have had many opportunities to disclose the regional boundaries if they were inclined to do so.
7. Finally there is the obvious point that the returning TF must contain ships possessing appropriate cargo holds which can carry the surplus raw materials.
With zero facts provided, I see absolutely no bug being in play. Merely the appropriate conditions not being met.
Edit: oops, corrected an important typo in point 2 above re what constitutes raw mat4rials.
< Message edited by Alfred -- 6/27/2020 1:17:57 AM >