Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Feedback and suggestions after about 200hours of play

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Feedback and suggestions after about 200hours of play Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Feedback and suggestions after about 200hours of play - 6/22/2020 10:28:08 AM   
Culthrasa

Hey Vic,

First of all, you made a great game! I'm approaching 200hours and still enjoying every minute of it.
Over my playthroughs I came away with some points i'd like to share. Some feedback, some suggestions. Hopefully there is something here you can use! Some have been on the list longer, tried to exclude them. So hopefully no suggestions you already implemented! :)

Units:
-Is it intentional that rocket launchers only have enough ammo for one shot?

Unit Design:
-Could you introduce a “back” button in the design screen? Now one has to cancel the design process and start anew.
-Could it be made clearer that underpowering an engine increases fuel cost? This seems to be true, right?
-Under Management/Model, could you introduce a compare/select feature? With all the models being listed it is hard to compare between classes (say buggy/light tank/medium tank).
-Alternatively/additionally, could you make a toggle for “obsolete” under Management/model?
-Alternatively/additionally, could you make it so one can sort with the headers (soft att, hard att, etc)?
-Could the classification Soft/Hard unit be made more clear when creating a model? For example state that INF counts as a soft unit?
-Even with the change to fuel use, there seems to be no need for light/med/hvy armor. Their armor isn’t all that great (even with polymer) compared to say buggy and the operating cost is just way too high for only the added movement they give compared to anti tank/RPG/inf/artillery/Walker. Personally I feel that the size modifier has a too great of an negative impact in their usefulness.

Raising formations:
-Could you make a motorized anti tank option like there is for artillery?
-Could all motorized get a mechanized option too? (for example with Independent units) Perhaps with a toggle?
-I’ve never seen OOB’s with Anti tank, jetpack, buggy or bikes. Could that be implemented. Now these don’t see much use, only as independent units.
-Could anti-tank gun and artillery be made interchangeable? So same OOB able to use either or both? (again with some sort of toggle option)? Or RPG and Anti Tank Gun?
-Could jetpack be made an infantry variant so they can replace the normal infantry in the late game?
-The amount of formations is quite bloated. Perhaps have Normal and Heavy unlock at the same time as well as motorized and mechanized? Perhaps with a toggle option for unit type used (ties in with above suggestions)
-The “storm” formation uses tanks for its normal type but RPG for its Heavy type. This is the only formation where this differs within the formation type. Doesn’t feel logical.

Buildings:
-Volcanic Energy tapping feels very underwhelming. For a high tier tech which isn’t better than other plants/techs and needs a mountain hex (expensive road tile) it just doesn’t have a niche/reason to build it.

Tech:
-The Robot industrialization techs (and food etc) are a bit misleading. Could the description be changed to “increased output” instead of “less workers needed”?
-Could Linear tech be made more distinct from other techs in the UI? When choosing a tech for example it isn’t mentioned.
-Could the "prereq needed" for tech be made explicit? Like you need polymer for heavy combat armor?

Misc:
-Could you limit the buying of ammo up to the maximum that can be stored (minus already owned of course)
-Game start. There is a big difference between city state start and two zones start. Besides the obvious second city you start out with an entire zone of hexes whereas with one city you start out with 7 hexes. Could you make an “in between” where you start with one zone but a “real” zone, not just 7 hexes?
-The difficulty jump between normal and difficult seems quite steep. Not only starting near (at least one) Major who is more aggressive but also more aggressive minors who declare war on turn one. Perhaps an “in between” setting where the Majors are better but the Minors stay the same? Perhaps more difficulty settings overall with “half steps”?
-The difficult starts are not as much fun as normal/easy starts. The fact that the player is (mostly) surrounded by Major AI regimes reduces the “exploration” phase of the game and drives the (early) game to only conquest. It thereby differs greatly from the normal start. Could Difficult and up still use the same rules as normal starts (so a chance to spawn next to a Major, but not a given that you spawn next to almost all) and just give the AI bigger bonuses so when the player encounters them they are technologically and economically superior? Being boxed in greatly reduces the fun (at least for me)
-The free roads benefit the AI too greatly with a city state start since the player is never able to build (as many) roads early game whereas the AI can, meaning continues expansion for the AI. This is especially true in difficult terrain (forests etc).
-Currently the only terrain type that is a hard/save border against the AI is water (and the edge of the map of course). Could High Mountain ranges be made more impregnatable for the AI so more terrain features actually give a strategic option? No free roads and more difficult supply through mountains, and for the regimes that don’t use supply source more aversion to go through mountains?
-I’d love to see more “water maps”, so with a higher amount of water (>30% for example). I understand that all land must be connected, but it would still be nice...
-I’d love to see more “empty” land between regimes, for example great mountain ranges being unclaimed cause no one should be able to go there easily, and more “free” land overall, especially in city state starts (kinda weird that Majors start smaller then Minors in this setting).

Post #: 1
RE: Feedback and suggestions after about 200hours of play - 6/22/2020 6:29:14 PM   
Clux

I agree with most of your suggestions, I hope than Vic is able to implement some of them after he feels ok with the polished state of the game.

(in reply to Culthrasa)
Post #: 2
RE: Feedback and suggestions after about 200hours of play - 6/25/2020 6:09:47 PM   
Culthrasa

One more to add on behalf of a friend (he plays with multiple monitors).

-Could the game be (also) made borderless full screen window?

(in reply to Clux)
Post #: 3
RE: Feedback and suggestions after about 200hours of play - 6/25/2020 7:21:20 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Culthrasa

One more to add on behalf of a friend (he plays with multiple monitors).

-Could the game be (also) made borderless full screen window?

Pretty sure it already has that mode. That is what the "mouse lock" option is there for.

(in reply to Culthrasa)
Post #: 4
RE: Feedback and suggestions after about 200hours of play - 6/25/2020 8:35:13 PM   
Culthrasa

Cheers zgrssd, he didn't know the option existed! he found it now :)

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 5
RE: Feedback and suggestions after about 200hours of play - 6/25/2020 10:15:48 PM   
Elver

quote:

-Game start. There is a big difference between city state start and two zones start. Besides the obvious second city you start out with an entire zone of hexes whereas with one city you start out with 7 hexes. Could you make an “in between” where you start with one zone but a “real” zone, not just 7 hexes?

If you start with one zone but more than basic tech, you can have your first zone be more than 7 hexes. At least, I think that's the criteria distinguishing between 7-hex starting zones and normal starting zones.

(in reply to Culthrasa)
Post #: 6
RE: Feedback and suggestions after about 200hours of play - 6/25/2020 11:47:52 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elver

quote:

If you start with one zone but more than basic tech, you can have your first zone be more than 7 hexes. At least, I think that's the criteria distinguishing between 7-hex starting zones and normal starting zones.

Yes, Tech Level 4 starts tend to be more around "we own a zone" rather then "this is what our soldiers have in their ZoCs".

(in reply to Elver)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Feedback and suggestions after about 200hours of play Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI