Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[1.04b11] Make Unit Types More Generic In OOB's

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> [1.04b11] Make Unit Types More Generic In OOB's Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[1.04b11] Make Unit Types More Generic In OOB's - 6/22/2020 4:32:55 AM   
Malevolence

Clearly my suggestion to modify OOB's was not a hit.

Eliminate or modify the Assault Infantry Formation

The new suggestion: make the model requirements for OOB's less restrictive of model types.

Examples...

Infantry can be Infantry, MG Infantry, RPG Infantry

Transport can be Truck, APC, IFV

Artillery can be towed-artillery, self-propelled artillery

Tanks can be Light, Medium, Heavy, etc.

etc.

With respect to OOB's, I keep thinking all the different model types (i.e. dimensions) are causing unnecessary complexity. It's a combinatorial explosion. Each model type adds an exponential increase of possible OOB's. As the potential for new models becomes a reality, I think it's important to consider the implications.

In the current WW2 models, we had a certain amount of history as a guide. With science fiction, we have historical, post-apocalyptic, modern, post-modern, and future models to consider and perhaps suggest.

Since we can already pick multiple models in the Raise Formation dialog window, allow players to choose any model in keeping with it's super-type.

With the current OOB design pattern, the players are left to negotiate and lobby for their method to be included as a hard coded design. This change, however, puts the responsibility on the player and not the OOB design. If you want a specific model equipped in a formation, the onus is on the player to provide the technology and the resources. If someone else wants something different, the onus is on them to provide it.

This also allows the game developers to retain their control and vision for the strengths and weakness of each super-type and type. MG Infantry are good in the defense, etc.

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 7/28/2020 4:09:22 AM >

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.
Post #: 1
RE: Make Unit Types More Generic In Formation OOB's - 6/22/2020 6:20:25 AM   
MatthewVilter

Seconded. This all makes total sense.

There is of course the possibility of whatever extra complexities seem appropriate. E.g. some formations might call for "transports" while others still specify trucks or APCs.

In an ideal world I would like to see a whole system for tweaking/evolving/designing OOBs over time on top of this but in the meantime/reality this seems like a pretty straightforward way to solve a lot of problems.

In any case it does still seems like "motorized" should just be a checkbox (basically just telling the commander of a unit or formation to requisition enough trucks to get around) to me especially if the truck-manpower issue gets resolved.

(in reply to Malevolence)
Post #: 2
RE: Make Unit Types More Generic In Formation OOB's - 7/8/2020 10:45:29 PM   
Malevolence

Repeat. 1.04b5.

For reference...

* I dislike the OOB's and the whole approach to unit composition

* Unit types for the various OOBs

EDIT: Made sure to distinguish between "OOB" and "Formation" to avoid confusion. For example, when discussing other abstractions like classes and objects, sometimes people don't implicitly understand the connection, similarities, and differences.

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 7/8/2020 11:34:05 PM >

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to MatthewVilter)
Post #: 3
RE: Make Unit Types More Generic In Formation OOB's - 7/8/2020 11:34:41 PM   
zgrssd

Absolutely, this needs a rework. For the sake of both the players and Vics sanity:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4838731

(in reply to Malevolence)
Post #: 4
RE: Make Unit Types More Generic In Formation OOB's - 7/9/2020 4:59:35 AM   
Pymous

You have also my vote
I won't repeat what others said already in details.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 5
RE: Make Unit Types More Generic In Formation OOB's - 7/28/2020 4:09:38 AM   
Malevolence

Repeat. Version 1.04b11.

(in reply to Pymous)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> [1.04b11] Make Unit Types More Generic In OOB's Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI