Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Groundbreaking Freshness

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Groundbreaking Freshness Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Groundbreaking Freshness - 6/21/2020 9:53:25 AM   
FAA

I think that this is the first Matrix game in a while that is truly groundbreaking. Many are simply newer, prettier versions of classics, which aren’t necessary better - this one is changing the whole world of procedural wargaming in a believable setting. My main problem with advanced tactics was that the world is obviously fake, too fake for a history nut (same reason why I don’t like the Civilisation series), but in this game I can play forever on new, unique settings, and it always feels real - I’m playing as different civilisations stranded somewhere in space.

It’s also the first wargame with believable private economy. Pride of Nations, buggy as it was, could never come close, and still was probably the best example before SE. Sure, I wish that private companies were able to build any Civilian building that the player can, but this is groundbreaking.

The only archaic thing for me is that soldiers always number in their hundreds. Losses of 100 soldiers, rather than 35 or 77 or any more natural number always ruins the immersion a bit but it doesn’t bother me as much as I thought it would.

Keep it up Vic, I hope this game keeps growing with more expansions and DLCs. I think it has the potential to become one of the biggest names in turn-based strategy.

< Message edited by FAA -- 6/21/2020 9:56:24 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Groundbreaking Freshness - 6/21/2020 12:15:58 PM   
zgrssd

As I understand it, this is less of a Matrix Studios game and more of a Victor Reijkersz/Slitherine game.
It is a similar difference as a Paradox game vs Age of Wonders Planetfall.
Matrix/Paradox are more publishers/forum providers then developers.

It can lead to some interesting cross flow of ideas. AoW for example adapted the Sector/Province System and the whole Unit Mod Systems is closer to Stellaris Ship designer then anything else they ever had. Meanwhile Stellaris could stand to learn from the job management System they got in AOW: PF

(in reply to FAA)
Post #: 2
RE: Groundbreaking Freshness - 6/21/2020 1:22:43 PM   
GodwinW

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd
It can lead to some interesting cross flow of ideas. AoW for example adapted the Sector/Province System and the whole Unit Mod Systems is closer to Stellaris Ship designer then anything else they ever had. Meanwhile Stellaris could stand to learn from the job management System they got in AOW: PF

Funnily enough for AoW:PF we had all those ideas in development already before serious talks with Paradox, so it had nothing to do with that really, but, it could have I guess :)

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Groundbreaking Freshness Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI