Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ship in ports being land attacked

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Ship in ports being land attacked Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ship in ports being land attacked - 6/19/2020 10:12:09 PM   
Christolos

I can understand how a ship in port (Memel in this case) can be attacked by adjacent enemy land units in the hexes and directions depicted with arrows in the image below, but why from the Konigsberg Defenses across the Curonian Lagoon?

In a PBEM game I am playing, I purposely docked the sub in question in Memel to see if it could be attacked, because I knew my opponent would do so if it could be. I was hoping it couldn't because of the geography of the land. Sure enough it happened and the sub was blown to smithereens.

Is this WAD?

C

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Christolos -- 6/19/2020 10:18:21 PM >

“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-
Post #: 1
RE: Ship in ports being land attacked - 6/19/2020 10:19:55 PM   
Christolos

Looking at a real map of the area, I can see that there is a small stretch of land jutting out close to Memel called the Curonian split:

Is this why the sub could be attacked?

I have seen other examples in SC-WaW that led me to question why ships could be attacked in port by land units when it seemed that they should not be based on geography. Is it simply any land hex that is adjacent that counts regardless of any intervening body of water?

C

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Christolos -- 6/19/2020 10:23:51 PM >

“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 2
RE: Ship in ports being land attacked - 6/20/2020 2:22:25 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi Christolos,

Generally speaking, the game does not take into account where the port is located within the hex, just so long as the coastlines are attached, e.g. the coastline is attached from where the German Corps is located relative to the where the port is located, then the unit can attack.

Granted for aesthetic reasons we sometimes try and align the port in a certain facing or angle within a coastal hex, as is the case in your example above, but in game terms that entire hex is a port hex etc. This is the same for other resources as well located within a hex, e.g. towns, cities, mines and so on.

Hubert

< Message edited by Hubert Cater -- 6/20/2020 2:23:09 PM >

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 3
RE: Ship in ports being land attacked - 6/21/2020 4:23:51 PM   
Christolos

Thanks Hubert.

Cheers,

C

-Aristotle-

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Ship in ports being land attacked Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI