Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Major Regime Border Gore

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Major Regime Border Gore Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Major Regime Border Gore - 6/19/2020 7:54:28 AM   
Tomn

So one of the things that kinda bugs me specifically is what happens when you take a city from a major regime - namely, the zone borders imploding, as they probably had been doing since you started advancing into the zone. You usually end up with your poor border zone suffering enormous administrative strain, while the zone of the newly conquered city is usually kind of a hot mess of barely functioning assets due to mass worker emigration so they can't take up their old assets immediately without worsening the worker situation. This is made doubly bad if the the AI had for whatever reason relied on a supercity with one single gigantic zone stretching from pole to pole, which means that you couldn't give them all their old assets without bogging them down with admin strain anyways (makes you wonder how the AI was managing - I don't think the AI bonus specifically includes dealing with admin strain, does it? Does the AI ever colonize?).

Is anyone else bothered by this? I mean, yeah, I could probably get by through aggressive use of zone rebordering and asset shutdowns but it's still kind of a tedious pain, especially if you conquered a massive new zone before getting to the city and have a lot of borders to redraw. Also gets kinda weird when the city in question was the regime's last city and you instantly lose all recon on their territory because now they don't have a zone to send spies TO.
Post #: 1
RE: Major Regime Border Gore - 6/19/2020 8:16:22 AM   
diamondspider

I usually have half a dozen commercial zone and several zoos saved up by then and so that, and making sure I have about 10 strong counters on the city for a while seems to make it pretty easy. If you don't do these things the, yes, it can be a royal pain.

(in reply to Tomn)
Post #: 2
RE: Major Regime Border Gore - 6/19/2020 9:17:13 AM   
devoncop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tomn

So one of the things that kinda bugs me specifically is what happens when you take a city from a major regime - namely, the zone borders imploding, as they probably had been doing since you started advancing into the zone. You usually end up with your poor border zone suffering enormous administrative strain, while the zone of the newly conquered city is usually kind of a hot mess of barely functioning assets due to mass worker emigration so they can't take up their old assets immediately without worsening the worker situation. This is made doubly bad if the the AI had for whatever reason relied on a supercity with one single gigantic zone stretching from pole to pole, which means that you couldn't give them all their old assets without bogging them down with admin strain anyways (makes you wonder how the AI was managing - I don't think the AI bonus specifically includes dealing with admin strain, does it? Does the AI ever colonize?).

Is anyone else bothered by this? I mean, yeah, I could probably get by through aggressive use of zone rebordering and asset shutdowns but it's still kind of a tedious pain, especially if you conquered a massive new zone before getting to the city and have a lot of borders to redraw. Also gets kinda weird when the city in question was the regime's last city and you instantly lose all recon on their territory because now they don't have a zone to send spies TO.

Not sure where you are from Tomn but I can guarantee that the productive capacity of any UK city on behalf of the new occupiers that had been militarily conquered by a foreign power would be derisory. It may be inconvenient but it is both realistic and well designed.

History also shows huge movements of refugee populations ahead of a city being conquered. Syria today exhibits the same trend.

You simply cannot expect to take over a fully productive city with a ready workforce.

< Message edited by devoncop -- 6/19/2020 9:22:44 AM >

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

(in reply to Tomn)
Post #: 3
RE: Major Regime Border Gore - 6/19/2020 10:43:04 AM   
Tomn

quote:

ORIGINAL: devoncop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tomn

Not sure where you are from Tomn but I can guarantee that the productive capacity of any UK city on behalf of the new occupiers that had been militarily conquered by a foreign power would be derisory. It may be inconvenient but it is both realistic and well designed.

History also shows huge movements of refugee populations ahead of a city being conquered. Syria today exhibits the same trend.

You simply cannot expect to take over a fully productive city with a ready workforce.

Oh, you misunderstand. I don't really mind the cities being less productive for a while, or needing to station a garrison there and maybe deal with the odd rebellion. Price of doing business.

What I DO mind is the bureaucratic tedium of rezoning vast swathes of conquered territory to adjust to new conquests because the zoning of the new conquests are a fraction of their former size (presumably to make assets not shut down completely in the face of a reduced workforce). It's an irritating bit of busywork when I've got a war to fight and populations to suppress.

Edit: The suffering of a conquered population is nothing to the carpal tunnel syndrome I get from signing documents, damnit!

< Message edited by Tomn -- 6/19/2020 10:49:03 AM >

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 4
RE: Major Regime Border Gore - 6/19/2020 5:57:59 PM   
Jdane

I would agree that having some sort of coarse setting for the zone border tool could end up being handy.
For instance, set the radius to six, click on the city, and then you'd have a better basis to work upon.
That would reduce the tedium somewhat. But I'm getting in feature suggestion territory here...

< Message edited by Jdane -- 6/19/2020 5:59:15 PM >

(in reply to Tomn)
Post #: 5
RE: Major Regime Border Gore - 6/19/2020 7:54:17 PM   
DTurtle

This works for taking over the cities of minor regimes. I don't see why it shouldn't work for cities of major regimes too.

I think you should report this as a bug.

(in reply to Jdane)
Post #: 6
RE: Major Regime Border Gore - 6/19/2020 8:50:17 PM   
Malevolence

Major Regimes don't surrender (for me at least). If you take a Major's city the whole zone does not capitulate. This is true even if the Major only controlled one zone.

This causes a mess of zone fungus as OP describes.

Up to the point you take the city, you have been pushing your zone boundaries with each occupied hex.

When you take the city, the game reorganizes the conquered zone by splitting it up. Depending on how you cut the pie to defeat the Major Regime this can cause multiple unknown zones to be generated. It also destroys any spies you had working against the Major Regime.

I don't think it's a bug by or in itself. I think it's a consequence of the game design.

There is no easy fix so long as unit movement and occupation changes the hex's zone.

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 6/19/2020 8:52:37 PM >

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to DTurtle)
Post #: 7
RE: Major Regime Border Gore - 6/20/2020 11:38:34 PM   
EuchreJack

Hm, if a Major or Player is left with a zone(s) without any cities, can they build a new city? If so, then it all makes sense and they should build/establish a new city ASAP. Considering that a city is just a zone asset where the zone population live, it might even be a shift rather than a rebuild. Remaining loyal population re-establishes itself in the mine to the north, or whatever.

...but if not, then its a waste of time their not capitulating. The Major/Player should die, and the rest revert to either the conquer, a minor rebel faction, or non-aligned.

(in reply to Malevolence)
Post #: 8
RE: Major Regime Border Gore - 6/25/2020 12:33:13 PM   
mek42

How does the zone border drawing work? Once I've typed Z, exactly how do I move the border?

(in reply to EuchreJack)
Post #: 9
RE: Major Regime Border Gore - 6/25/2020 12:40:06 PM   
mek42

quote:

ORIGINAL: mek42

How does the zone border drawing work? Once I've typed Z, exactly how do I move the border?

One last read of the manual and randomly clicking and I figured it out.

First, be in an order mode other than z (I try to be in inspect mode whenever I'm not doing something). Then left click the zone you want to expand the border of. Then left click hexes outside of the border to get them to change.

(in reply to mek42)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Major Regime Border Gore Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI