Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Install

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> New Install Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Install - 6/17/2020 9:02:49 PM   
76mm

My computer died yesterday :-( Bought a new one today :-)

So, I want to re-install TOAW the "right way". I followed along on the previous thread on this topic, but was rather confused, and now can't find it.

I don't use Steam and would like for all the game files to be with the game, rather than under "My Documents". Possible? If so, how?
Post #: 1
RE: New Install - 6/17/2020 10:26:34 PM   
larryfulkerson

If memory serves, first you install 4.1.0.20 and then the patch 0.21 and then the latest patch 0.40 to bring the game engine up to currency. Please somebody double check me. I'm 70 and I have senior moments from time to time.

A new theory says that whenever someone discovers what the universe means that the universe instantly changes to something even more mysterious. There is another new theory that says that this has already happened.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 2
RE: New Install - 6/17/2020 11:24:44 PM   
76mm

OK, I've got all of those, so I guess that works...but is that the process that will avoid all of the weird problems that people were having? Also, is there any way to avoid putting all of the game files under MyDocuments? I hate that!

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 3
RE: New Install - 6/17/2020 11:34:01 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Also, is there any way to avoid putting all of the game files under MyDocuments? I hate that!

If I recall correctly, that's a Micro$oft thing. Didn't Shad come up with some way to get around that? And I believe if you make a scenario it will be put into the Documents folder anyway.

Edit: I've just not even bothered with changing anything. I use the Matrix install for testing so I just go with whatever the default is. Kinda got used to it by now.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 6/17/2020 11:35:11 PM >

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 4
RE: New Install - 6/18/2020 1:21:41 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster
If I recall correctly, that's a Micro$oft thing. Didn't Shad come up with some way to get around that?

Yes, that's what I keep hearing, and yet many games don't do this. I just bought Shadow Empires, and guess what--everything neatly goes under the Shadow Empires directory, not scattering stuff all over--I hate going to MyDocuments.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 5
RE: New Install - 6/18/2020 7:33:56 AM   
cathar1244

I installed .20 (don't run it), and then upgraded to .40

Installation of .21 was not necessary.

The "my documents" location is still there, though.

Cheers

< Message edited by cathar1244 -- 6/18/2020 7:34:48 AM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 6
RE: New Install - 6/18/2020 11:08:28 AM   
Lobster

quote:

quote:

If I recall correctly, that's a Micro$oft thing. Didn't Shad come up with some way to get around that?

Yes, that's what I keep hearing, and yet many games don't do this. I just bought Shadow Empires, and guess what--everything neatly goes under the Shadow Empires directory, not scattering stuff all over--I hate going to MyDocuments.

Where does it put the save game files?

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 7
RE: New Install - 6/18/2020 1:05:27 PM   
76mm

quote:

D:/Games/Shadow Empires/savedgames

Just like it should be.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 8
RE: New Install - 6/18/2020 1:18:56 PM   
Lobster

quote:

quote:

D:/Games/Shadow Empires/savedgames

Just like it should be.

I've never been privy to the mystic underworld of Micro$oft Window$. I have some games that store save files in documents and some that don't. I guess if a game developer is of the proper Micro$oft level of mysticism they can put files anywhere they please.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 9
RE: New Install - 6/18/2020 2:51:11 PM   
76mm

It is the same in Empire in Arms and several other Matrix games that I have... I really don't think that it is rocket science, maybe Matrix should give all the devs the secret handshake to allow them to do this.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 10
RE: New Install - 6/19/2020 8:00:00 PM   
76mm

I had never understood until now how goofy this whole file set up is. All of the existing scenario files are under the game directory (D:/Games/TOAW/Scenarios). Under MyDocuments, there is a Scenarios directory, but all of the folders are empty.

And yet, when you select a scenario file in the game, if you try to navigate to the scenario folder under the game directory (where all of the scenario files are actually located), the game doesn't see any scenarios, and it makes it appear that all of the scenarios are under MyDocuments (where the scenario directories are in fact empty).

What a bizarre, convoluted, and confusing way to do a simple thing like selecting scenario files!

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> New Install Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI