Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Everything old is new - outdated Earth tech Shadow Empires can use

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Everything old is new - outdated Earth tech Shadow Empires can use Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Everything old is new - outdated Earth tech Shadow Empi... - 6/17/2020 4:03:19 PM   
zgrssd

There is a lot of tech that we developed on earth, but are no longer using. Something about them just did not work out. However, often a reason it did not work out was the times it became avalible or relative abundance of another resources. The Abundance of fossil fuels being propably the biggest killer of ideas by far!
However those same Resources may well be very scarce on any Shadow Empire Planets.
So all those technologies we dropped? They can be very valuable for Shadow Empires.

This is a thread for gathering examples of such technologies. Ideally you should mention:
- name of the technology
- when and how it was developed (ideally use a Wikipedia Link to history)
- why it was dropped (aka, "what killed it?")
- the gameplay effect such a technology could have
Post #: 1
RE: Everything old is new - outdated Earth tech Shadow ... - 6/17/2020 4:18:37 PM   
zgrssd

My first two examples are a bit of a cheat, because they are already there - just on a way to high tech level from my point of view!

Electrical Motors
Currently that tech is in Propulsion, 4 whole groups away from the starter techs.
History: The thing is, we had electrical Motors and batteries done by 1800 to lastet 1900.
What killed it: Fossil Fuels. Simply put, refining and putting Gasoline into engines prooved to be way more convenient. As a result, battery technology more or less stalled. The reason Electrical Motors are not as good on earth, is because they were 100-200 years behind Fossil Fuel Burners.
And especially during colonisation of moons, using Electrical Moters makes a whole lot more sense then Fossil fuel burners. Planets that have open air farming can propably get by using Biofuel Plants, but everyone else really has no reason to even restart with that.
Gameplay effect: Electrical Motors become avalible at way lower tech - propably with fuel burners. However, the early ones may not be very efficient. Both "Fuel" capacity and consumption may be very unfavorable. Additional techs would improove that, until we get to current day tech around Advanced Chemistry or Propulsion.

Gas Powered Small Arms
Currently that tech is in Advanced Engineering, 3 Groups from starter Techs and 2 from Automatic Rifles. Again, way to deep..
History: Originally I thought the idea of using Air Rifles as miltiary gear was not sensible. But turns out, it is very sensible.
What killed it: The Air Reservoirs. With the technology back then they were very hard to manufacture, very fragile and refilling them was a (literal) chore.
With pumping and manufacturing tech somewhat more this century it should not be an issue. We put gasses into tanks all the time!
Gameplay effect: It would stay a low ammo-consumption gun. It would just come before Automatic Rifles, rather then after.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 2
RE: Everything old is new - outdated Earth tech Shadow ... - 6/17/2020 4:37:09 PM   
zgrssd

Bicycle Generator:
Take a bicycle. Remove the aft wheel put a dynamo there instead. You got a way to generate power.
History: The Dynamo part is a 1832 thing.
The bicycle is a bit hardert quantify. 1817 is the earliest thing that could apply. But I guess the invention of the chain drive is the leap we need, wich was 1880.
What killed it: It is not really dead. Still in use in 3rd world countries and emergency cases to this day. However generally every other form of power generation is better.
Gameplay effect: This would be a worker intenstive way of converting food (all those extra callories people are burning) into energy.

Stirling engine:
The Stirling e ngine is a way to generate work from a heat differential.
History: It is a contemporary of the Steam Engine, 1817.
What kileld it: The availibility of Steam Engines and the low overall work the engine can do. However they have been making a comeback in the 20th century: They are used in Submarines and even heat-concetration solar power. They are like a steam engine, except you do not need water or pressure bodies.
Gameplay effect: Generate heat wherever there is a temperature differential. Particulary with Volcanos on a Ice Planet.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
RE: Everything old is new - outdated Earth tech Shadow ... - 6/17/2020 4:43:42 PM   
Malevolence

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd
Gas Powered Small Arms
Currently that tech is in Advanced Engineering, 3 Groups from starter Techs and 2 from Automatic Rifles. Again, way to deep..
History: Originally I thought the idea of using Air Rifles as miltiary gear was not sensible. But turns out, it is very sensible.
What killed it: The Air Reservoirs. With the technology back then they were very hard to manufacture, very fragile and refilling them was a (literal) chore.
With pumping and manufacturing tech somewhat more this century it should not be an issue. We put gasses into tanks all the time!
Gameplay effect: It would stay a low ammo-consumption gun. It would just come before Automatic Rifles, rather then after.

As a note, the issue is not capability, but feasibility. Snuffy already has a lot of tasks on their plate. Gas Powered handheld weapons separate two sustainment issues: (1) projectile and (2) propellant. With respect to killing machines, the KISS principle is in full effect.

You are much more likely to see the end of the ammunition's metallic case with a sealed magazine that holds all rounds. That improvement both reduces weight and eliminates another Snuffy task (i.e. loading magazines).

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 6/17/2020 4:57:17 PM >

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 4
RE: Everything old is new - outdated Earth tech Shadow ... - 6/17/2020 5:19:43 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Malevolence

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd
Gas Powered Small Arms

As a note, the issue is not capability, but feasibility. Snuffy already has a lot of tasks on their plate. Gas Powered handheld weapons separate two sustainment issues: (1) projectile and (2) propellant. With respect to killing machines, the KISS principle is in full effect.

The original worked with 18th century tech. It was particulary usefull in poor supply situations, as all you need is something to shoot and someone to pump - no Blackpowder.

And it is already in the game. It just comes after Automatic Rifles, rather then after Carbines. It's specialty is using particualry little ammo, for a 75 Firepower.

(in reply to Malevolence)
Post #: 5
RE: Everything old is new - outdated Earth tech Shadow ... - 6/17/2020 6:50:07 PM   
Malevolence

I was just noting Gas Powered Small Arms as incongruous as designed.

It was not a criticism of your suggestion.

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 6
RE: Everything old is new - outdated Earth tech Shadow ... - 6/17/2020 10:04:25 PM   
GodwinW

Minefields: anti-tank mines and anti-personnel mines both.

I think it would be a very nice strategical addition. Should also add minesweeper vehicles as well then.

"His border is undefended! Let's go!
... oh."

(Should be a third row tier tech. Later than RPG's and before Lasers. Imo.)

(in reply to Malevolence)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Everything old is new - outdated Earth tech Shadow Empires can use Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI