Terraforming would be really cool.
1. Drill to aquifer would be nice.
2. Make mountains to alter rainfall patterns.
3. Hydro-Electric dams would be cool.
4. I think these Major Regimes would eventually unlock the secrets of the GR's terraforming process and it wouldn't be beyond their ability to create a more earth-like atmosphere. I don't think an atmosphere-less planetoid would be terraformed in the games time scope TBH (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no scientist) but, the planet I'm playing on right now has an oxygen and nitrogen mix, the composition is slightly different from earth-like, so we have to wear breather masks, but surely a small change to the atmosphere composition would be do-able. However this would equate to genocide of native animals, humanoids and plant life so.... I don't know. Just throwing a fun concept out there. If that were to be implemented I could see a coalition faction rising up from forces literally facing extinction, it's possible these natives would band together using native xeno-cavalry and captured Major Regime equipment, thus creating a new deadly mid-game or late-game native/Minor Regime threat.
5. Alternatively, this could be used as a weapon to send the whole planet into an environmental freefall, or at least bring desertification to your cold war neighbor.
Raiders/natives are fun but lack..... depth?
1. Raiders/natives should fight each other. In my current game I was surrounded by 3 hostile raider factions (with cities that have 100k-200k+ population compared to my 38k population city), I've spent 120 turns under siege in my mega city ruins, but it can be winnable. The thing that struck me as odd was, these are raiders, why are they not fighting each other and the natives? Sure if my empire was threatening all of their cities at once they might band together. But, spending decades sieging a low-population city, working together in harmony with different raider regimes wouldn't make much sense. I would think by the first decade of siege something would have happened that caused them to... raid each other??? Maybe fight the natives that are closer to their cities than my forces that are 10+ tiles away? This could cure the "cursed RNG start", or at least make it playable without spending 120 turns under siege and then finally meet your first major who is rolling fast towards your borders with way more advanced tech due to their better start position. Not gonna lie though, this playthrough has been seriously fun not knowing if I'm actually gonna survive let alone win the game.
2. After you get Combat Armor and Automatic Rifles, Raiders/Natives are no longer a threat, more of an annoyance (with the exception of planets that generate 100 meter-tall Titans lmao). You would think after 25 years in-game the new generation of raiders would adapt to the new reality of the planet. Captured guns and armor would be worn by heavy infantry, captured artillery and tanks would be easy to operate after trial and error. Maybe a really successful Raider Warband that has captured old GR equipment just like you did? I think aircraft, railguns, and energy weapons would be beyond their ability and industrial capacity to maintain though. I like the idea of Raider regimes banding together if they are close together and being threatened by a Major Regime, maybe after a decade of government building they transform into a military dictatorship Major Regime? Or they could stay as a unique Raider/Freefolk Union Minor Regime?
3. Raiders should be able to capture equipment when they destroy your units. (Maybe a strategem could be implemented specifically for clearing raiders so all equipment can be destroyed on retreat for a negative attack modifier?)
4. We should be able to capture native cavalry and fill them with stimulants and cybernetic enhancements if technology permits. Since they are native they require less supply. However, Raiders will catch onto this and after so much equipment captured they produce these beasts in greater numbers (they have more supply of them) without the cybernetic enhancements. Just imagine a border ranger, mounted on a mad Arachnid with hydraulic jaws, riding into battle. This could create an entirely new class of units that mix your tech upgrades with native lifeform bonuses (jumper cavalry being great at mega-city ruins combat.) I have no idea how this would scale with some of the game's generated creatures, like you would need a swimming pool full of chemicals to subdue one of those huge Titan lifeforms.
5. Native Awakening, if natives are capable of standing on your border and shouting at you until you figure out their language, its entirely possible they steal some radios, talk to other native tribes, and start to create a new parallel society/culture to the humans on planet. Maybe they love genocidal violence as much as some humans, maybe they just want to defend their territory and develop their society, maybe its a mix, leave it to the RNG gods?
6. I haven't seen a single native/raider air unit. Raiders I understand but, maybe they develop dirigibles or recon/battle balloons on planets whose atmosphere permits it? Native flying units would be cool, as either pests that try to eat your units, or native air cavalry, again if atmosphere permits.
It would be really cool if you could see some of the events that occur post-Dissolution War, happen in real time. For example, unmanned spaceship crashes into tile, unstable nuclear reactor goes off in the wild, alien natives embark on a crusade, plague. Very low chance to occur as these things took decades or centuries to happen according to the planet generation screen. Unmanned spaceship crashing opens lots of possibilities by itself, is it really unmanned? Is it alien in origin (Remember aliens were definitely present at the edge of GR space)? Did it carry a bio-weapon? Is this some wanna-be GR successor state trying to annex your planet?
Sorry if these ideas have been all over the place and totally unfeasible. This game really stimulates the imagination.
And as always great job Vic, your creating something really special and unique, thank you so much for making games.
< Message edited by Magura -- 11/30/2021 11:11:04 PM >