Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Anatomy of a Unit Counter

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> War Room >> Anatomy of a Unit Counter Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anatomy of a Unit Counter - 6/15/2020 1:05:52 AM   
Malevolence

Anatomy of a Unit Counter

(per manual section 3.4.4, Units)

(1) action points that remain; each block signifies 10 AP; if the unit has not moved yet the blocks will be green, otherwise they will be white

(2) serial number of the type created by the Raise Unit command; letter shows “M” for Militia units

(3) supply state; green the unit received all supplies; yellow, blue or red it has increasingly lower supply state; if black the unit received no supply

(4) NATO symbol for echelon and type (example is echelon Battalion, type Armor)

(5) number of troops; one point signifies either 100 infantry or 10 tanks/vehicles or guns.

(6) bar shows the unit's integrity; a filled bar means the unit has all troops authorized by TO&E and its integrity is at 100%; color of the bar signifies the readiness; if green the readiness is high; yellow, blue or red it has increasingly lower readiness

Note: you can have up to 16 units in a hex

Per the next image, white "G" characters are noted on unit counters when in Guard Mode.

Per the next image, NATO counters display the same information, but without the unit type sprite. Players can toggle NATO counters in the game's Preferences > Map tab.

I made a suggestion something like this should be inside the game in the help section. I am posting this here in the interim.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 7/11/2020 6:15:49 PM >

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.
Post #: 1
RE: Anatomy of a Unit Counter - 6/15/2020 1:23:53 AM   
Soar_Slitherine

1 indicates remaining action points. No idea about 3. 5 is number of subunits. 6 seems to be colored based on the unit's readiness, green > yellow > blue > red, and the bar will decrease if the unit is understrength in terms of subunits compared to its unit template.

(in reply to Malevolence)
Post #: 2
RE: Anatomy of a Unit Counter - 6/15/2020 1:34:47 AM   
Malevolence

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 6/15/2020 11:10:55 PM >

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

Post #: 3
RE: Anatomy of a Unit Counter - 6/15/2020 1:39:07 AM   
WeaverofBrokenThreads

5 is subunits, 6 is readiness.

EDIT: My bad, I am sleepy. I mean 'fighting readiness'. I think the game calls it integrity, so let's go with that. It means how many subunits the unit has. If the bar becomes emptier, it means it needs to replenish troops.

EDIT2: Ninja'd

< Message edited by WeaverofBrokenThreads -- 6/15/2020 1:46:48 AM >

Post #: 4
RE: Anatomy of a Unit Counter - 6/15/2020 1:48:15 AM   
Malevolence

Thanks but i tend to do a bunch of updates before im done. ipad isnt helping speed.

(in reply to WeaverofBrokenThreads)
Post #: 5
RE: Anatomy of a Unit Counter - 6/16/2020 7:58:34 PM   
W8taminute

Thank you Malevolence for initiating this project. This is exactly the kind of information I would also like to see in the manual because it is so useful.

Post #: 6
RE: Anatomy of a Unit Counter - 6/17/2020 8:15:32 AM   
Tchey

Thanks, your short help topics are all usefull

(in reply to W8taminute)
Post #: 7
RE: Anatomy of a Unit Counter - 7/11/2020 6:13:05 PM   
Malevolence

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daza99

Okay thanks guys :)

Will update the image..

Nice image. Stealing it.

Keep in mind, that 8th is not tied to the unit name. If you change unit name, the 8 remains on the counter.

Also, that is a Battalion not a Brigade... per the NATO counter's echelon. (fixed)

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 7/11/2020 9:53:29 PM >

(in reply to Tchey)
Post #: 8
RE: Anatomy of a Unit Counter - 7/11/2020 10:09:06 PM   
Daza99

Thanks for your info Malevolence, i did not know this post existed until now. I will visit the War Room more often now.

As for the Nato icons is this page accurate to use as a guide? https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/NATO_Military_Map_Symbols

Would be nice if the game had a help window with tabs for different topics and visual references like for all the Nato icons the game uses with image and text and similar images as the unit info image. There is a Help buried in the Report menu but is not extensive. I think his Barbarossa game has a pop up guide in that game. So SE could have that too with like key topic information (or lite manual) and page reference to the manual for more break down detail.

Perhaps Vic could share a image with all his Nato icons that might be in one image (if he has that) and we can make a little reference image from that? Could lay some ground work for a Steam guide later on too.

Post #: 9
RE: Anatomy of a Unit Counter - 7/11/2020 10:17:44 PM   
Jdane

All them symbols are just next door.

Bear in mind NATO symbology purists might would outright refuse even trying the game if they ever saw that. There are even NATOish symbols for xenofauna in Shadow Empire.

< Message edited by Jdane -- 7/11/2020 10:19:01 PM >

(in reply to Daza99)
Post #: 10
RE: Anatomy of a Unit Counter - 7/11/2020 10:23:40 PM   
Malevolence

The wiki you linked uses the correct echelon symbols (i.e. Unit Size Indicators). Keep in mind, there are symbols for everything--units, specific equipment, facilities, events, etc.

Very few games use the correct frames. The friendly ground unit's rectangle in the ubiquitous standard for games.

You can use this site to experiment and export:

https://www.map.army/symbol

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 7/12/2020 10:07:24 AM >

(in reply to Daza99)
Post #: 11
RE: Anatomy of a Unit Counter - 7/11/2020 10:30:42 PM   
Malevolence

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jdane

All them symbols are just next door.

Bear in mind NATO symbology purists might would outright refuse even trying the game if they ever saw that. There are even NATOish symbols for xenofauna in Shadow Empire.

An invaluable post that should be in the game imo--regardless of ones feelings about the system in general.

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 7/11/2020 10:31:08 PM >

(in reply to Jdane)
Post #: 12
RE: Anatomy of a Unit Counter - 7/12/2020 2:31:11 AM   
Daza99

Thanks for that Nato symbol website link Malevolence.

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> War Room >> Anatomy of a Unit Counter Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI