Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Destroying isolated units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Destroying isolated units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Destroying isolated units - 6/14/2020 2:52:52 PM   
Carterjon

Playing Barbarossa and successfully pocketing large numbers of Soviets. But they are hard to eliminate. Do they eventually die from lack of supply or are they more likely to surrender?
Post #: 1
RE: Destroying isolated units - 6/14/2020 5:38:34 PM   
sillyflower

Units carry 3 supply points with them, apart from a few exceptions.They use 1 per turn. No supplies left = a very weak unit.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to Carterjon)
Post #: 2
RE: Destroying isolated units - 6/15/2020 4:56:51 AM   
baloo7777

It takes 4 turns to make a cutoff unit weak enough to be destroyed with Inf alone. Or on the 3rd turn, you can attack it with air and Inf and/or Armor if you want to kill it. Usually, more than one cutoff unit at a time is not possible to destroy, so you can expect to spend 5-6 turns (x 2 weeks each or 10/12 weeks time) to kill 3-4 units. I learned that both the AI and PvP will try to open a 1 hex path to resupply and are successful quite often. On the Eastern Front, I've started thinking in terms of how much oil/time will it take to cut off and destroy these units rather than the massive pockets you might want to do.

JRR

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 3
RE: Destroying isolated units - 6/16/2020 2:37:57 AM   
Carterjon

This is my dilemma. One of the great strengths and successes of the game design is precisely that blitzkrieg and pockets are possible, and I’ve probably encircled 20-30 units in Barbarossa in the first three months. I’m not familiar enough with the history to know how long it took the Axis to reduce the very large pockets they created in real life, but 10-12 weeks sounds long. It seems that if a unit is isolated, even if carrying around supplies, that it should be more likely to surrender.

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 4
RE: Destroying isolated units - 6/16/2020 8:19:39 PM   
ncc1701e

quote:

ORIGINAL: Carterjon

Playing Barbarossa and successfully pocketing large numbers of Soviets. But they are hard to eliminate. Do they eventually die from lack of supply or are they more likely to surrender?

Except if there is a supply source within your pocket.

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to Carterjon)
Post #: 5
RE: Destroying isolated units - 6/17/2020 12:01:23 AM   
Harrybanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: Carterjon

My thoughts (perhaps to be implemented in Warplan 2) are:

1. Any City supply source that cannot trace to another City supply source should have its supply reduced to 5.
2. Units with 0 supply should lose 30% of their effectiveness every turn. So a unit that starts with 80% effectiveness would go to 56% than 39% than 27%. Of course, if it is bombed or attacked it will lose effectiveness even quicker.

(in reply to Carterjon)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Destroying isolated units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI