Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Unable to access Manual

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Unable to access Manual Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unable to access Manual - 6/14/2020 3:50:23 AM   
LGKMAS

Hi
Just tried to read the manual and get no response. I am running Windows 10. I notice via Google that there are a number of complaints to Adobe that .pdf files have stopped working with Windows 10 in the last few days. Everyone suspects a Windows 10 update.
Anyone else having the same problem? Kind of frustrating when you are told to read the manual and you can't access it. Not Matrix fault, obviously.
Post #: 1
RE: Unable to access Manual - 6/14/2020 3:52:46 AM   
Nomad

My windows 10 updated today and I can open and read the manual fine.

(in reply to LGKMAS)
Post #: 2
RE: Unable to access Manual - 6/14/2020 6:00:57 AM   
BBfanboy

If you are worried about it just go to the Adobe site and download the latest version of Acrobat Reader and install it.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to LGKMAS)
Post #: 3
RE: Unable to access Manual - 6/14/2020 6:28:33 AM   
LGKMAS

I went to the Adobe site, which has a number of recommendations. I followed them to the letter. I downloaded the Adobe Cleaner and ran it, reinstalled Reader, clicked on properties, told it I was running as administrator, and clicked on the recommended compatibility box and still nothing happens.
I will continue to log onto their site to see if anything else is listed. Until then, please do not advise me to read the manual as the answer to any of my questions as I cannot.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Unable to access Manual - 6/14/2020 7:29:51 AM   
Alfred

No mention that you have PDF files to be read by Adobe.

1.  Go to your AE directory.
2.  Open the Manuals sub-directory
3.  Right click on the "Witp-Manual-[EBOOK]" file

4.  It should now state at the top of list "Open with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" - if it doesn't, then
5.  Go down to "open with", click
6.  Select Adobe Acrobat Reader DE from list of selected options

Alfred

(in reply to LGKMAS)
Post #: 5
RE: Unable to access Manual - 6/14/2020 10:27:31 AM   
Trugrit

Here are 9 free readers
https://www.lifewire.com/free-pdf-readers-1356652

(in reply to LGKMAS)
Post #: 6
RE: Unable to access Manual - 6/14/2020 12:18:27 PM   
Yaab

I have been using Foxit Reader for the last 2-3 years for reading PDFs.

https://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf-reader/

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 7
RE: Unable to access Manual - 6/15/2020 8:27:38 AM   
LGKMAS

Hi Alfred,
tried all that and still no action.
But I did notice an option in the "open with" menu of "open with Microsoft edge". Tried that and it opened in the browser.
Now I can read the manual but it still means I can't click on the WITP-AE Screen to get the manual. Annoying but now I have got it to work, I can put up with it.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 8
RE: Unable to access Manual - 6/15/2020 4:11:44 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: LGKMAS

Hi Alfred,
tried all that and still no action.
But I did notice an option in the "open with" menu of "open with Microsoft edge". Tried that and it opened in the browser.
Now I can read the manual but it still means I can't click on the WITP-AE Screen to get the manual. Annoying but now I have got it to work, I can put up with it.

That you can use Edge confirms that the windows update has substituted Edge for Adobe but some (at least) of your PDFs retain their former association.

If you want to open the manual with Adobe, try the following.

1. Go to your AE directory.
2. Open the Manuals sub-directory
3. Right click on the "Witp-Manual-[EBOOK]" file
4. Click on "Properties"
5. In the dialog box click on "Change"
6. Now from the options presented to open PDF files with, replace Edge by selecting "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC". Click on "OK" - you must always confirm your actions (either by clicking on an "OK" or "Apply" box, before changes take effect
7. Upon return to the dialog box which should list "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC "as the software associated with PDF files now click "OK" - because again you need confirmation.

You probably failed to confirm in your previous attempts.

The same procedure is followed if you prefer to install any of the other free programs which have been brought to your attention.

There are other solutions too but they are more complicated.

Alfred

(in reply to LGKMAS)
Post #: 9
RE: Unable to access Manual - 6/15/2020 11:52:22 PM   
LGKMAS

Thanks Alfred.
I am now able to read the file from the directory. Still unable to get it to read from the AE Screen though. Wonders of Microsoft!

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 10
RE: Unable to access Manual - 6/16/2020 1:21:21 AM   
GetAssista

quote:

Thanks Alfred.
I am now able to read the file from the directory. Still unable to get it to read from the AE Screen though. Wonders of Microsoft!

You can open help from inside the game? Where, how? In all my years I never knew that, always used pdf reader and Alt-Tab

(in reply to LGKMAS)
Post #: 11
RE: Unable to access Manual - 6/16/2020 2:04:15 AM   
LGKMAS

I meant when I click on the AE icon on my toolbar(?) at the bottom of the screen to start AE, a screen pops up that has three lines in the centre, I thoink they are
Admirals Edition
Game Manual
Editor
and there are other links down the right hand side.
That was what I was trying to use to open the Manual. Sorry if I got your hopes up.

BTW, I can't tab to another screen as when I tab back to AE, all the writing is in green and only half there. The Graphics are fine but I cannot read any text. I then have to close the game completely and start again.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 12
RE: Unable to access Manual - 6/16/2020 3:18:25 PM   
Kull

quote:

I meant when I click on the AE icon on my toolbar(?) at the bottom of the screen to start AE, a screen pops up that has three lines in the centre, I thoink they are
Admirals Edition
Game Manual
Editor
and there are other links down the right hand side.
That was what I was trying to use to open the Manual. Sorry if I got your hopes up.

BTW, I can't tab to another screen as when I tab back to AE, all the writing is in green and only half there. The Graphics are fine but I cannot read any text. I then have to close the game completely and start again.

You REALLY should be running AE in a window, especially if you routinely access programs outside the game. Continuous alt-tabbing inevitably results in something bad happening, probably due to memory leaks. To use a custom windowed mode where the window occupies most of your screen, see Korvar's thread here (which does require installation of another program) or you could try the "do-it-yourself" method I outline in this post.

(in reply to LGKMAS)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Unable to access Manual Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI