Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Subs: All or Nothing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Subs: All or Nothing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Subs: All or Nothing - 6/14/2020 2:32:01 AM   
Harrybanana

I am still a novice player, but it seems to me that u-boats, at least for the Germans, are an "All or Nothing" affair. If I understand the Rules correctly, u-boats don't harm the Allies economies at all unless and until they sink enough merchant ships to put the Allies below the number they need for their convoys. But the Allies, particularly the UK, start with a healthy surplus of merchant ships and gain more from each Minor that the Axis conquer. Using just the 3 u-boats that the Germans start with or are in construction, is it possible for the Axis to put the Allies below this threshold before their u-boat losses become non-cost efficient? If not, than is it the case that the Germans should either go All In and build several more u-boats, or not build any at all?
Post #: 1
RE: Subs: All or Nothing - 6/14/2020 2:47:02 AM   
Flaviusx

If you really want to stress the allies you're going to need 6-9 subs. Possibly supplemented by surface raiders.

If you can ever get the Italian navy into the atlantic, the Regia Marina can also do quite a number.

The real crunch for the allies comes in 1941, imo, when the Kriegsmarine can swarm the Lend Lease convoy route to the Soviets. The Allies really have no choice here but to send as much as possible to keep the Soviets in the fight. This is probably the single best reason to take Norway, btw. Although I think Germany can do a good job of it even with their home ports.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Harrybanana)
Post #: 2
RE: Subs: All or Nothing - 6/14/2020 3:09:16 AM   
sveint

I vote nothing

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Subs: All or Nothing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI