Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wish List 2.0

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Wish List 2.0 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wish List 2.0 - 6/12/2020 4:13:21 PM   
Elessar2

No preliminaries this time.

1. Give toggles for the following units when attacking both a resource and a unit: Medium Bombers, Strategic Bombers, all warships from light cruisers on up to fleet carriers. I should decide if I am attacking the installation, or the unit, not some random device.

2. Have a unit cut off and in dire straits? Supply drops by medium & strategic bombers. Note WitE a few years ago overdid it a bit and gave rise to an exploit, but in moderation see no reason why this couldn't work.

3. Implement oil & manpower as (optional) rules. Yeah, AI would either need to be coded or given lots of extras here. But it would eliminate a lot of gamey naval moves as well as nerf the bottomless well of manpower syndrome that can become an issue on the Russian Front later in the game.

4. An even bigger map for the modders to go to town on. Someone said they managed to get a map larger than 512 x 256, not sure how they did that. I just dream of a division-scale scenario...

5. Customization of generals-each gets a special ability, such as the following:

* Attack bonus
* Defense bonus
* Supply bonus
* Tank/infantry/air specialization
* Movement bonus for attached troops

6. Add in admirals already! They can start as land units, can be attached to a ship, which in turn can command 5-8 other ships (depending on the C&C level). Land-based they can act as normal HQ's. W/ their own specializations, such as naval air, battleships, subs, anti-sub...

7. In conjunction with oil rules, have fleet oilers & milch cows.

8. Allow breakdown/formation of bigger/smaller land units, divisions/corps/armies.

9. Have fog of war apply to the graphs screens, as a recent thread has discussed. I shouldn't know as the Axis player exactly how much MPPs Russia got the previous turn, what their convoy income was, if they spent on tech, etc.

* The following can be modded now, so hope at least the modders are listening:

1. Tech changed to 3/3/3/2/2 [for levels 1-5], with either 2 or 3 chits max [so 3+3=6% or 3+3+3=9%; 4% & 6% later in the game, so we don't have jets by early 1943.]. Price subject to negotiation (I am currently trying chits @ 65% of their original cost). I often get frustrated when I can't afford the full cost for one of the one chit techs, but also don't want it to just sit there idle for 6 months or so not progressing at all. Testing this I can now more easily time a tech to top out right before a major operation, vs. "being surprised" and it doing so right in the middle of an offensive. The first chit can thus be seen as the research process "gearing up." Next test I will likely try 75%.

2. Adjust ship speeds to ship class, DD's & CL's fastest, then CV's & CA's & BC's, followed by BB's then subs. [I currently use for the World Map 18/17/16/16/16/15/14 for those units respectively] Not sure what to do with transports-yes, some were ocean liners, but most were regular merchantmen. AI issues are always a consideration of course...

3. At least one higher infantry tech level for all infantry, so as to better stand up to late war tanks.

4. This may be the most controversial, but I'm currently trying [on Euro] all tanks and mech units moving at a base 8 [+1 or even 2 levels of Motorization]. All I know is that I look at the WitE AAR's and their tanks/mechs can run circles around SC's. I am currently getting a lot of insanely fun encirclements going on the Eastern Front-this would also reward a mobile reserve to counterattack the spearheads, which hey is what they did in the real war. On the default settings things tended to be a face-to-face slugging match (as most recent SC AARs can attest to).

Yeah, the AI would be hapless, as I'm finding out in the Summer of '42: at one point I had 24 Russian units surrounded. Of course this would need a human vs. human playtest...

Post #: 1
RE: Wish List 2.0 - 6/13/2020 4:54:41 AM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

1) HQ's --- Yes! Specialize their skills. Patton gets +1 on Attack; +1 Movement. Want some music & quotes when clicking leaders.
2) Island fighting needs some changes. More ground causalities, more supply for both sides. Island Battles need more than "just swarm & bounce AV". Attacker should be allowed to "land" right on top, and lock-up a juicy land battle since the Islands are 1-hex in many cases.
3) Kamikazes should be able to Intercept (defensively), when ships sail by. Currently, US Ships just "ping & run" or wait for Air Cover. Kamikazes rarely get to do something.
3) Supply Counters --> Units can "buy supply" for better battles on Philippines, Singapore
4) New Terrain --> Inherent Air Field Hex(es), gives Planes better skill bonus when using compared to landed wherever. Also, one by Stalingrad. Allow to build Air Strips in Pacific.
5) New Terrain --> Beach hexes. Not all landing areas should be treated equally.
6) New Terrain --> Major Bridges are needed for the Rhine, Russia, River Kwai.
7) New Colored Country Counters --> SS units for the Germans, British Commando piece, US Big Red One, Indian Gurkas, Jap Cave pieces.
8) New Counter --> Decoy Units. Each Major country gets some "fake" units.
9) Scored Earth command for retreating units, costs them extra moment points.
10) Weather patterns need mixed up and some variety.
11) Add some weak Partisans counters (strength 1, 2, or 3) that can only "hold or disrupt" the hex they exist in. AND only a portion of the destruction. So it's more of a disturbance. Needs to be more random than known. So when an Operand occurs, takes little damage.
12) Are there enough Forest Hexes on the Map and do they reflect proper combat behavior?
13) Green Troops --> Some troops should not be able to be upgraded
14) Spying & Intelligence is to accurate and deadly. Instead use the '?' or area information.
15) Units don't always follow orders to a tee based on morale. Dudes surrender. Command & Control, units 'buckle' or ain't moving.

< Message edited by ElvisJJonesRambo -- 6/13/2020 5:01:45 AM >

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 2
RE: Wish List 2.0 - 6/13/2020 3:54:00 PM   
pjg100

WRT HQs, I would settle for the ability to designate the HQ that distributes supply and the HQ that receives a boost. The current system, in which the engine handles it with no user input, sometimes yields unexpected (and sub-optimal) results.

(in reply to ElvisJJonesRambo)
Post #: 3
RE: Wish List 2.0 - 6/14/2020 3:44:36 PM   
Numdydar

A bigger map :)

(in reply to pjg100)
Post #: 4
RE: Wish List 2.0 - 6/14/2020 4:16:41 PM   
Bo Rearguard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

I'd concur with that one. More hexagons to work with. I know Britain gets pretty cramped during Overlord between staging units for the invasion, bringing on UK reinforcements and finding room for the bomber wings to bomb Germany. Even if air units could simply stack in the same hex as ground units it would certainly help.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 5
RE: Wish List 2.0 - 6/22/2020 1:16:26 AM   
ThunderLizard2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elessar2

No preliminaries this time.

1. Give toggles for the following units when attacking both a resource and a unit: Medium Bombers, Strategic Bombers, all warships from light cruisers on up to fleet carriers. I should decide if I am attacking the installation, or the unit, not some random device.

* Good idea

2. Have a unit cut off and in dire straits? Supply drops by medium & strategic bombers. Note WitE a few years ago overdid it a bit and gave rise to an exploit, but in moderation see no reason why this couldn't work.

* Low on my list - just don't get cut off

3. Implement oil & manpower as (optional) rules. Yeah, AI would either need to be coded or given lots of extras here. But it would eliminate a lot of gamey naval moves as well as nerf the bottomless well of manpower syndrome that can become an issue on the Russian Front later in the game.

* Could be interesting but seems like a big ask to make it balanced for SP and MP*

4. An even bigger map for the modders to go to town on. Someone said they managed to get a map larger than 512 x 256, not sure how they did that. I just dream of a division-scale scenario...

* Sure - I could see 20-30% bigger

5. Customization of generals-each gets a special ability, such as the following:

* Attack bonus
* Defense bonus
* Supply bonus
* Tank/infantry/air specialization
* Movement bonus for attached troops

* Could be interesting

6. Add in admirals already! They can start as land units, can be attached to a ship, which in turn can command 5-8 other ships (depending on the C&C level). Land-based they can act as normal HQ's. W/ their own specializations, such as naval air, battleships, subs, anti-sub...

* Like this one

7. In conjunction with oil rules, have fleet oilers & milch cows.

* Again - AI would need a lot of work and game balance could be affected

8. Allow breakdown/formation of bigger/smaller land units, divisions/corps/armies.

* The have this in WarPLan - not sure it adds enough to justify work

9. Have fog of war apply to the graphs screens, as a recent thread has discussed. I shouldn't know as the Axis player exactly how much MPPs Russia got the previous turn, what their convoy income was, if they spent on tech, etc.

* Nah - I like the stats

* The following can be modded now, so hope at least the modders are listening:

1. Tech changed to 3/3/3/2/2 [for levels 1-5], with either 2 or 3 chits max [so 3+3=6% or 3+3+3=9%; 4% & 6% later in the game, so we don't have jets by early 1943.]. Price subject to negotiation (I am currently trying chits @ 65% of their original cost). I often get frustrated when I can't afford the full cost for one of the one chit techs, but also don't want it to just sit there idle for 6 months or so not progressing at all. Testing this I can now more easily time a tech to top out right before a major operation, vs. "being surprised" and it doing so right in the middle of an offensive. The first chit can thus be seen as the research process "gearing up." Next test I will likely try 75%.

2. Adjust ship speeds to ship class, DD's & CL's fastest, then CV's & CA's & BC's, followed by BB's then subs. [I currently use for the World Map 18/17/16/16/16/15/14 for those units respectively] Not sure what to do with transports-yes, some were ocean liners, but most were regular merchantmen. AI issues are always a consideration of course...

3. At least one higher infantry tech level for all infantry, so as to better stand up to late war tanks.

4. This may be the most controversial, but I'm currently trying [on Euro] all tanks and mech units moving at a base 8 [+1 or even 2 levels of Motorization]. All I know is that I look at the WitE AAR's and their tanks/mechs can run circles around SC's. I am currently getting a lot of insanely fun encirclements going on the Eastern Front-this would also reward a mobile reserve to counterattack the spearheads, which hey is what they did in the real war. On the default settings things tended to be a face-to-face slugging match (as most recent SC AARs can attest to).

Yeah, the AI would be hapless, as I'm finding out in the Summer of '42: at one point I had 24 Russian units surrounded. Of course this would need a human vs. human playtest...

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 6
RE: Wish List 2.0 - 6/23/2020 3:31:47 AM   
countrboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bo Rearguard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

I'd concur with that one. More hexagons to work with. I know Britain gets pretty cramped during Overlord between staging units for the invasion, bringing on UK reinforcements and finding room for the bomber wings to bomb Germany. Even if air units could simply stack in the same hex as ground units it would certainly help.

+1 for a (much) bigger map

(in reply to Bo Rearguard)
Post #: 7
RE: Wish List 2.0 - 6/25/2020 8:57:07 PM   
James Taylor

No doubt about it. The prime directive is a bigger map and I would go so far as to say I would be willing to pay for it as a DLC.

SeaMonkey

(in reply to countrboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Wish List 2.0 - 6/26/2020 10:18:09 AM   
countrboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Taylor

No doubt about it. The prime directive is a bigger map and I would go so far as to say I would be willing to pay for it as a DLC.

Me too. A larger map would be a game changer (larger meaning more hexes of smaller distance)

(in reply to James Taylor)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Wish List 2.0 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI