Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Decision with one choice?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Decision with one choice? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Decision with one choice? - 6/12/2020 11:40:33 AM   
76mm

I've got a decision that has two choices, but one of them is disabled with no explanation, leaving one choice (ie, no choice). In the screenshot below, Choice A is disabled. Why?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 76mm -- 6/12/2020 11:41:25 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Decision with one choice? - 6/12/2020 11:46:05 AM   
GodwinW

Maybe you do not have 1 FP? Or even PP though that seems very unlikely.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 2
RE: Decision with one choice? - 6/12/2020 11:56:28 AM   
76mm

Good catch, that's it, although I don't recall having a decision that required a fate point before. I don't like a mechanism where I'm presented with decisions that I can't actually make for no obvious reason.

If the reason is that I don't have the crystal to give, I should have a choice to say "Sorry, we'd love to give you the crystal if we had it, but we don't." Instead I get one choice--to insult another major regime.

(in reply to GodwinW)
Post #: 3
RE: Decision with one choice? - 6/12/2020 1:19:20 PM   
Jdane

The randomness, and sometimes unfairness, of the Decisions is a quintessential part of Shadow Empire, methinks, but you're still making a rather fair point.
Maybe increase the penalty of the outrageous answer and add the option you proposed with a reduced penalty. (Because being punished for not having kept FPs in the bank in case of emergencies hurts, but it's part of the game.) And if one wants to use this opportunity to provoke a rival or a despised leader, the option is on the table.

< Message edited by Jdane -- 6/12/2020 1:20:01 PM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 4
RE: Decision with one choice? - 6/12/2020 1:53:18 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Good catch, that's it, although I don't recall having a decision that required a fate point before. I don't like a mechanism where I'm presented with decisions that I can't actually make for no obvious reason.

If the reason is that I don't have the crystal to give, I should have a choice to say "Sorry, we'd love to give you the crystal if we had it, but we don't." Instead I get one choice--to insult another major regime.

Could be worse. It could be that no decision was availible:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4827986&mpage=1&key=�
At that point, it is basically up to your Secretary and their profile.

Plus you could always play a Fate Generation card, if you really wanted that option. For 1 FP, it should be a "of the charts" relation increase.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 6/12/2020 1:55:55 PM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 5
RE: Decision with one choice? - 6/12/2020 3:23:53 PM   
AttuWatcher

In this case it's very good that the game is telling you that you have a decision available for 1 FP, despite not being able to play it.
It's giving an opportunity to play some strategems and generate an FP if it's really important enough to you. It's great that decisions can be looked at and put away and come back to at a later time after getting all your strategems in order.
Plenty of times where I thought that I couldn't win a roll or pick some decision option only to find out later that I actually could have done it if I had played my cards right....literally.

< Message edited by AttuWatcher -- 6/12/2020 3:26:04 PM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 6
RE: Decision with one choice? - 6/12/2020 4:50:55 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: AttuWatcher
It's giving an opportunity to play some strategems and generate an FP if it's really important enough to you. It's great that decisions can be looked at and put away and come back to at a later time after getting all your strategems in order.

Yeah, I don't know if I have any fate-adding stratagem cards, that might have helped...

But my general point is that I'd like for my choices to be driven by their potential consequences, not by my inability to make a choice because some magic manna is missing.

In general I'm not a big fan of card-driven systems, so I am still getting used to this one.

(in reply to AttuWatcher)
Post #: 7
RE: Decision with one choice? - 6/12/2020 5:00:58 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: AttuWatcher

Yeah, I don't know if I have any fate-adding stratagem cards, that might have helped...

But my general point is that I'd like for my choices to be driven by their potential consequences, not by my inability to make a choice because some magic manna is missing.

In general I'm not a big fan of card-driven systems, so I am still getting used to this one.

If you got to few PP, it is because of a choice you made: The SC budget. The National Budget. Not upgrading the commander Bunker.
If you got no more FP, it is because of your choice to spend them on something else.

So, your requirements were met before you even posted about it

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 6/12/2020 5:01:39 PM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 8
RE: Decision with one choice? - 6/12/2020 9:28:32 PM   
VoodooDog

i think such mechanics are great, it forces you to not spend all your fate points unless absolutly necessary, or, if your are a bold one, you just dont give a f and keep spending them.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Decision with one choice? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI