Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Allow easier changing of formation type

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Allow easier changing of formation type Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Allow easier changing of formation type - 6/11/2020 10:51:47 AM   
zgrssd

Currently to turn a Light Infantry Brigade into a unit of Motorized Light Infantry Brigade, Mg Infantry brigade or Siege Infantry Brigade (adding some trucks, Mg's or Artillery respectively) I have to:

1. Disband the unit
2. Go foward a turn so the soldiers are send back to the SHQ
3. Form the new Brigade using SHQ Troops for the Infantry part of the new unit
4. Wait a turn for the unit to become moveable
5. Move the whole unit back to where the original was disbanded

So at least 3 turns just to add some Artillery, MG's or Trucks to a unit. Something that with Turns taking half a season, should really not be taking that long. Something that lets a frontline undefended for at least 3 turns.
That seems excessive, for "adding some Trucks" to drive around infantry.

One option would be allow us to change formations within the same size and base type. Just change it from "Light Infantry Brigade" to "MG Infantry brigade" and have the MG's be delivered by normal reinforcements and some Infantry send back to SHQ (propably the least experienced for each batallion).

Another option would be a rework of the whole OOB system:
You got a handfull of "base unit types" wich have options that you can toggle on/off.
The base type would be "Light Infantry"
One toggleable option would be "Light MG's", wich replaces 1k Infatry with 1k Machine Guns
Another would be "Artillery", wich replaces 1k Infantry with 50 Artillery
And a third would be "Motorized", wich adds enough trucks to move all those people quickly
Most options would be combineable (like the later Grenadier versions, wich have something of everything)
Some options would exclude one another (can not be light and heavy MG at the same time). My best advise would be to have "slots" or "groups" on the options:
There is only one "MG" Group/Slot. Both heavy and light MG options fill it. Only one that fills it can be enabeled. Both Mechanized, Motorized and Bycicles would fill the "mounted Infantry" or "mobile infantry"* slot. Indeed you could even add a "Biological Mounts" option, for horses or analogues.

Of course the whole thing should not be too trivial. A Readiness reduction is the least it should cost, so it is not done without care at any time.
And as readiness also acts as a cap on movement, just adding and removing trucks on a whim is not really that helpfull (nevermind the supply drain of having to add and take back those units and their fuel all the time).

*Mobile Infantry is easily confused with Motorized infantery, a specific form of Mobile Infantry.
Post #: 1
RE: Allow easier changing of formation type - 6/11/2020 11:28:57 AM   
GodwinW

You can shuffle troops between units. Check the righthand tab for units, the bottom option ('transfer').
Only problem with that is that it needs a 3rd empty unit in order to shuffle things around. If both units are full you cannot do it. Which imo should be changed. Something like a temporary over-limit-allow just as long as everything is in order points-wise (within limits I mean) when you finish the transfer (click OK).

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 2
RE: Allow easier changing of formation type - 6/11/2020 12:02:55 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: GodwinW

You can shuffle troops between units. Check the righthand tab for units, the bottom option ('transfer').
Only problem with that is that it needs a 3rd empty unit in order to shuffle things around. If both units are full you cannot do it. Which imo should be changed. Something like a temporary over-limit-allow just as long as everything is in order points-wise (within limits I mean) when you finish the transfer (click OK).

If I understand you right, you mean:
1. Get 1000 MG's in 1-2 independant units
2. Swap 200 MG and 200 Infantry between this unit and each of the Infantery Brigades.

But will that actually "take"? Won't the reinforcement system try to restore the original 1000 Infantery/Brigade?
What about reinforcements for the MGs if they die?
What about adding trucks? There is no independant Truck unit I could find...

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 6/11/2020 12:04:56 PM >

(in reply to GodwinW)
Post #: 3
RE: Allow easier changing of formation type - 6/11/2020 1:45:08 PM   
Soar_Slitherine

Can't you just select the unit's OHQ, go into Unit Admin in the right-side panel and select Upgrade/Downgrade? I can downgrade my MG Infantry Brigade into a Light Infantry Brigade, so I assume it's possible to upgrade into the other direction as well.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 4
RE: Allow easier changing of formation type - 6/11/2020 2:04:40 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Soar_Slitherine

Can't you just select the unit's OHQ, go into Unit Admin in the right-side panel and select Upgrade/Downgrade? I can downgrade my MG Infantry Brigade into a Light Infantry Brigade, so I assume it's possible to upgrade into the other direction as well.

Dangit, I had asumed that was only about change between the Format size classes (Brigade/Corp/Army).

I did not realize I could downgrade to Light Infantry, then specialize it with upgrade.
However oddly, I can not return to being a MG Formation type. Hope that is only the same turn, as I can freely swap between motorized backwards and forwards.

(in reply to Soar_Slitherine)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Allow easier changing of formation type Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI