Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Freighter Mismanagement by AI (Retreat UE + Bacon mod)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Freighter Mismanagement by AI (Retreat UE + Bacon mod) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Freighter Mismanagement by AI (Retreat UE + Bacon mod) - 6/11/2020 9:19:18 AM   
cybermantas

I understand that this is a less understood point and there are no good answers on how to manage logistics. Answers revolve around number of space ports, how fast to expand and how to time your mines alongside the expansion.

My current issue is NOT to do with "stalled construction" at various locations (which I dont have too much of, and which I am comfortable dealing with). The issue is that the AI seems to be ordering shipment of essential cargos from newly formed colonies to other bases/colonies (whether homeworld or other areas). Proof in the attached screenshot. "Ommoy" is newly formed planet with barely 30M population. And AI is shipping 5k units of Hydrogen from "Ommoy" to my "Homeworld". Hydrogen is now 0 at Ommoy.

I have painstakingly used "State freighters" to run manual missions to transport strategic resources to my newly formed 98% quality Colony, and this is what AI does to it. Note, the game is on Full Manual (No Automation).

Also, while I cant say with full confidence, I dont think this behavior was an issue with vanilla. Any suggestions on what to do ?

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Freighter Mismanagement by AI (Retreat UE + Bacon mod) - 6/11/2020 2:05:24 PM   
RogerBacon

In that game, are you using Hydrogen as a fuel source for any of your designs? If Hydrogen is not one of the required resources for planet development (I forget if it is or not) then it may not been needed on the source planet and the AI is just moving it to a space station.
AI resource movement has always been a frustratingly mysterious part of that game. I was the reason I made state freighters and recurring missions.

BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08

(in reply to cybermantas)
Post #: 2
RE: Freighter Mismanagement by AI (Retreat UE + Bacon mod) - 6/11/2020 5:47:19 PM   
cybermantas

Awesome to get a response from RogerBacon himself! Thanks for the response!

Hydrogen was not yet a fuel (hadn't researched the relevant component it as yet). However, Hydrogen is one of the 7 "strategic resources" needed by the colony, without which your colony development slows down. My new colonies (all with pop less than 100M) were growing at <5% growth rate because of this. I was expecting/hoping that some of you with more experience with the RetreatUE + Bacon mod may have had similar experience and suggest an answer. To tell you the state of the game and the impact of this, by year 2128, a colony which had been around for 10+ years reached only 100m pop (from 25m). I had to resort to fix the growth and logistics problem through the following:

1. Repeat missions (using shift) by 11k cargo capacity "state-owned" large freighters to ship essential resources from homeworld to 5 of my largest/best/upcoming colonies (5 separate freighters for this). Will be testing it out, but hopefully shouldnt have lack of strategic resources now
2. Built 4 massive population ships (capacity 32M for migrant pop) and manually populating one given colony so that it reaches a basic size at least (lets say 1bn at least). Will have to repeat this separately for the other 4 best colonies also (unfortunately, no repeat missions possible here)

The overall impact that I am worried about - Research capacity doesnt scale up from what it was 2110 (when homeworld maxed out), so in year 2128, my research seems slow now. Shakturi storyline is still enabled and they will still make an appearance by 2140/2145 or so... and I doubt I will have any other colony up to MAX POP at this rate. Incidentally, does higher research cost (setting this value at game setup to 240k for e.g.) delay the Shakturi ?

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 3
RE: Freighter Mismanagement by AI (Retreat UE + Bacon mod) - 6/12/2020 12:42:26 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: cybermantas

2. Built 4 massive population ships (capacity 32M for migrant pop) and manually populating one given colony so that it reaches a basic size at least (lets say 1bn at least). Will have to repeat this separately for the other 4 best colonies also (unfortunately, no repeat missions possible here)

Repeat missions work for passenger ships too. Just hold down shift when assigning the mission. Be sure to keep an eye on them though (through the new filter option 'repeating missions' in the ship viewer) because they will continue to send people to a planet even after its reached max population.

BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08

(in reply to cybermantas)
Post #: 4
RE: Freighter Mismanagement by AI (Retreat UE + Bacon mod) - 6/12/2020 4:34:00 PM   
cybermantas

Oh great. Didn't realise repeat missions worked for Passenger ships too (I m guessing I tried, but may have messed up). That helps, thanks!

Year is now 2141 (up from 2128), colonies have thankfully grown up and economy is much better now. Strategic resource (7 resources - Steel, Lead, Carbon Fibre, Polymer, Silicon, Hydrogen, Caslon) still continues. Incidentally, I couldn't figure out what role these play (Do they effect pop growth, development or any other aspect of economy - whether while planet is growing, or once it has reached maximum population)

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Freighter Mismanagement by AI (Retreat UE + Bacon mod) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI