Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What does radiation poisoning do?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> What does radiation poisoning do? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What does radiation poisoning do? - 6/8/2020 5:19:55 PM   
diamondspider

I noticed that after spending some time in very heavy radiation I had a few parked units first showing 1 and then 2 under "rad" in their readiness area. But this never increased over 2 after about 15 more turns (radiation level was about 150).

I see a building that takes rads away, but I can't see any harm in getting them, and they seem to stop accumulating. I also noticed that being in buggies and such seems to make the unit immune.

Does anyone know how this works? My current map is about 50% heavy radiation.
Post #: 1
RE: What does radiation poisoning do? - 6/8/2020 5:32:23 PM   
jazzyblur

Don't have first-hand experience as I haven't had a radiated planet yet, but from the manual:

quote:

Radiation is a real danger for your Populace. For each Radiation Level they’ll suffer a Happiness Point loss and above level 3 your Populace will suffer casualties due to radiation sickness and burns

It's unclear in the manual if the soldiers are also um... unhappy in the radiation (morale negative?) but it seems the burns only happen after level 3? Wonder if it's working as intended by not going over level 2 after hanging out in the radiated wastes for so long :p

(in reply to diamondspider)
Post #: 2
RE: What does radiation poisoning do? - 6/8/2020 5:38:04 PM   
Soar_Slitherine

You can read all about it in manual section 5.2.3. I don't think exposure builds up over multiple turns. The short version is that troops & population start taking penalties in 50 rads and start dying if they're in 400. Various factors subtract from this - for the most common, envirosuits are -100 rads, vehicles -500 and maintained, undamaged buildings -400.

(in reply to jazzyblur)
Post #: 3
RE: What does radiation poisoning do? - 6/8/2020 11:21:06 PM   
diamondspider

Thanks. I did read that section but it is not clear how it works relative to my testing, and it is quite important if one is planning on expanding on a world with lots of radioactivity. In fact this is critically important on such a planet.

Here are the facts of my test:

1) These are Militia troops so, as far as I can see, I cannot check their gear to see what they are wearing.
2) They sat on a 193 Rads hex for about 20 turns.
3) They fairly quickly went from 0 to 2 Rads (which by the chart should be 193 rads rather than 2), but never went past that.
4) They do indeed now seem to be stuck at 80 readiness and morale as the chart says.

So it looks like radiation doesn't build up, 2 Rads showing on readiness display means 20% reduction, and Militia have no protective gear and cannot receive it.

< Message edited by diamondspider -- 6/8/2020 11:23:10 PM >

(in reply to Soar_Slitherine)
Post #: 4
RE: What does radiation poisoning do? - 6/8/2020 11:35:20 PM   
Laiders

quote:

ORIGINAL: diamondspider

Thanks. I did read that section but it is not clear how it works relative to my testing, and it is quite important if one is planning on expanding on a world with lots of radioactivity. In fact this is critically important on such a planet.

Here are the facts of my test:

1) These are Militia troops so, as far as I can see, I cannot check their gear to see what they are wearing.
2) They sat on a 193 Rads hex for about 20 turns.
3) They fairly quickly went from 0 to 2 Rads (which by the chart should be 193 rads rather than 2), but never went past that.
4) They do indeed now seem to be stuck at 80 readiness and morale as the chart says.

So it looks like radiation doesn't build up, 2 Rads showing on readiness display means 20% reduction, and Militia have no protective gear and cannot receive it.

So rad effects are simplified. When the game says they are at rad 2 it means they are at rad level 2. Rad level 2 is defined in the manual as rad exposure between 100 and 200 rads. At 193 rads, you are right on the limit of tipping into rad level 3 but luckily the thresholds are absolute. Rad level 2 limits readiness and morale to 80% of their maximum. Your morale cannot go above 80% of your base morale so positive modifiers do not help unless they increase your base morale and your readiness cannot be above 80.

This is all set out in the manual. You can easily check all the details yourself, including the full table of exposure thresholds and effects, by searching for 'radiation' or 'exposure' in the manual.

Post #: 5
RE: What does radiation poisoning do? - 6/8/2020 11:52:07 PM   
diamondspider

Manual did not say the following:

1) Radiation doesn't build up as it does in reality.
2) Militia have no rad gear although there is no way to check this (or it could be they sometimes do depending, but I doubt it)
3) It still is not clear what, if anything, can cure radiation poisoning. It seems it is permanent.
4) It is not clear why vehicles seem to make the troops immune, or if this is always the case. I drove early buggies around in high rad and they seem unharmed but may need more testing.

All of this is quite important on a world that is over 50% irradiated as how practical working in radioactive areas is is everything.

Edit: Correction, it does say 500 rad protection for vehicles, so that is answered. I'll assume this includes motorcycles.

< Message edited by diamondspider -- 6/9/2020 12:06:50 AM >

(in reply to Laiders)
Post #: 6
RE: What does radiation poisoning do? - 6/9/2020 12:14:44 AM   
Soar_Slitherine

quote:

2) Militia have no rad gear although there is no way to check this (or it could be they sometimes do depending, but I doubt it)

They'll have envirosuits (-100 rads) if those are required for survival in the planet's enviroment. You can check by clicking their image when you have the unit selected and the unit tab open in the bottom panel.

Post #: 7
RE: What does radiation poisoning do? - 6/9/2020 12:24:52 AM   
diamondspider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Soar_Slitherine

quote:

They'll have envirosuits (-100 rads) if those are required for survival in the planet's enviroment. You can check by clicking their image when you have the unit selected and the unit tab open in the bottom panel.

Not according to my test. They have only been to 193 rads and yet have level 2 radiation.

(in reply to Soar_Slitherine)
Post #: 8
RE: What does radiation poisoning do? - 6/9/2020 12:45:03 AM   
Jdane

If there is no deadly bio hazard on your planet, militia won't be equipped with envirosuits and thus won't have any radiation protection, I think.

Militia seems to be only guaranteed to have the minimum equipment to operate outside, such as if it's just like Earth, they'll have plain clothes, if the air is mildly toxic, they'll have filters, if it's unbreathable or if the xenofauna is very toxic or deadly, they'll have envirosuits. Basically the same protective gear as your starting infantry models, unless I'm mistaken.

Admittedly that's just my guess and I have no hard evidence to back it up. But should your regular troop models not be equipped with envirosuits by default, that would explain why your test showed militia on your planet has no radiation protection whatsoever. As if the game would only take atmospheric and biological hazards and not how much the land is irradiated when it comes to deciding what the ground pounders should be equipped with.

< Message edited by Jdane -- 6/9/2020 12:49:05 AM >

Post #: 9
RE: What does radiation poisoning do? - 6/9/2020 5:14:24 AM   
Kamelpov

You want worse militia, start on earth like planet as they only have filters.

(in reply to Jdane)
Post #: 10
RE: What does radiation poisoning do? - 6/9/2020 8:06:32 AM   
KingHalford

Radiation severely affects your unit's Readiness after a certain point: heavy radiation will also kill your troops. The manual describes the various thresholds. Remember that the heavier armour your infantry have, the better shielding they have from the effects of radiation: once you've got Combat Armour they seem to be able to happily stroll through 200 (Level 2) with no effects.

Ben "BATTLEMODE"
eXplorminate.co

(in reply to Kamelpov)
Post #: 11
RE: What does radiation poisoning do? - 6/9/2020 8:18:28 AM   
diamondspider

As I said, I read that section and there are still more questions that are essentially important for dealing with a world that is over 50% radioactive. I love where the game is trying to go on this, but I need more details and would guess the system could be brushed up a bit e.g. ways to get rid of some levels of poisoning, buildup, etc.. Also, the militia in my world seem to have no protection from it, and no way to get it, which seems odd at best.

(in reply to KingHalford)
Post #: 12
RE: What does radiation poisoning do? - 6/9/2020 8:20:40 AM   
KingHalford

There could definitely be more exposition on some of these more obscure mechanics, I hear you there.

Ben "BATTLEMODE"
eXplorminate.co

Post #: 13
RE: What does radiation poisoning do? - 6/9/2020 3:21:06 PM   
Jdane

diamondspider, I recognize the validity of your line of criticism. But I'd like to mention that according to the manual, over time (granted a significant amount of) militia of a major regime can gain access to the same protective equipment as your regular troop models:

From the manual:
quote:

5.10.1.3. Militia
[...]
Major Regime Militia will be able to produce (licensing and second-hand
sales) their own versions of Models older than 5 Earth Years (30 Rounds)
of the Regular Military. The Militias always tend to stay with the lower
versions of Regular equipment... Any Protectorates or Vassals you have do
also gain access to these older Models due to this rule.

(in reply to KingHalford)
Post #: 14
RE: What does radiation poisoning do? - 6/9/2020 11:49:28 PM   
diamondspider

Where can I see if a given Militia unit has what level of protective gear... this being critical to nearly every battle on my planet.

(in reply to Jdane)
Post #: 15
RE: What does radiation poisoning do? - 6/10/2020 12:01:19 AM   
Jdane

Can't you just click on a militia subformation and read it in the screen that opens then?
(By subformation I mean e.g. the 600x Rifle Militia riflement box. For example in my current game I can read: « Equiped (sic) with improvised environmental suits. » Mind you, I'm playing on a Medusa planet where indigenous microfauna is deadly and therefore envirosuits are mandatory to go outside the city.)

< Message edited by Jdane -- 6/10/2020 12:04:27 AM >

Post #: 16
RE: What does radiation poisoning do? - 6/10/2020 12:11:01 AM   
diamondspider

Does it show exactly what equipment they have? I looked for about 10 minutes and couldn't find loadout info for any Militia. All of my troops, of course, have it in great detail.

(in reply to Jdane)
Post #: 17
RE: What does radiation poisoning do? - 6/10/2020 12:44:57 AM   
Jdane

As far as armament goes, and to my limited knowledge, it will always be something along the lines of « a makeshift assortment of small arms » for a rifle group for example.

At least until you've played long enough for militia to start upgrading to your earliest regular troop models, which I've yet have to do.

The next best thing to having accurate data on militia equipment is, in my opinion, the stats that are in plain sight. (Such as Hitpoints, Soft Attack either in offense or defense, Hard Attack ditto, etc.)

< Message edited by Jdane -- 6/10/2020 12:47:06 AM >

Post #: 18
RE: What does radiation poisoning do? - 6/10/2020 5:18:54 AM   
diamondspider

Easy fix is to display the current rad protection under the Readiness info panel. Then I don't really care what other equipment they have. For now, I keep them out of the radiation as they all so far seem to have none and it screws them up badly.

(in reply to Jdane)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> What does radiation poisoning do? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI