Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Difficulty setting

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> The War Room >> Difficulty setting Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Difficulty setting - 6/7/2020 10:44:58 PM   
Unforeseen

How much of a differance do the difficulty setting changes actually make?

If I play on normal difficulty, even though it's been a significant amount of time since playing the AI has absolutely no chance of keeping up with me. Tax manipulation to get max population on my planets is enough on it's own to totally debalance the game in my favor. So I feel like I can't really have a 'fair' game without holding back. So I'm just looking at my options, I normally avoid increasing difficulty because I'm a sandbox player that doesn't try to win. Keeping things balanced is pretty important to me. I'm doubting I can have both though.

Post #: 1
RE: Difficulty setting - 6/7/2020 11:52:51 PM   
Siddham

Have a look here....Roger Bacon's post

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4148121&mpage=1&key=%26%2365533%3B

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 2
RE: Difficulty setting - 6/8/2020 4:32:16 AM   
Unforeseen

Ugh only affects player. That's disappointing. Thanks for the reply.

(in reply to Siddham)
Post #: 3
RE: Difficulty setting - 6/8/2020 5:36:09 AM   
SirHoraceHarkness

You can always edit the racial stats of the ones you typically play against to give them an extra edge. I upped the population growth rate and colony ship building speed of the boskara race to make them a plague you have to stamp out early or they simply swarm the map and choke everyone out of space.

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 4
RE: Difficulty setting - 6/8/2020 7:52:05 AM   
Unforeseen

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness

You can always edit the racial stats of the ones you typically play against to give them an extra edge. I upped the population growth rate and colony ship building speed of the boskara race to make them a plague you have to stamp out early or they simply swarm the map and choke everyone out of space.

That sounds scary af lmao

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 5
RE: Difficulty setting - 6/9/2020 4:10:59 AM   
SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

quote:

That sounds scary af lmao

That's just for a simple custom game to give the ai races a bit more flavor. I made a sub mod off icemania's ai mod specifically focusing on boskara pumping up all their stats and creating custom starting characters with all the best traits maxed out so they are a nightmare to face as an ai empire or a bit of fun to use vs as a player race. Been fleshing it out with a custom map and other tweaks so might one day drop a link to it but for now it's just a bit of overpowered fun for myself.

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 6
RE: Difficulty setting - 6/9/2020 5:03:00 AM   
LordMM

Bacon Mod and the RETREAT UE put together seems to increase the difficulty considerably if you are looking for a challenge..

Post #: 7
RE: Difficulty setting - 6/9/2020 5:37:18 AM   
Unforeseen

quote:

ORIGINAL: LordMM

Bacon Mod and the RETREAT UE put together seems to increase the difficulty considerably if you are looking for a challenge..

I'll give that a try thanks!

quote:

That's just for a simple custom game to give the ai races a bit more flavor. I made a sub mod off icemania's ai mod specifically focusing on boskara pumping up all their stats and creating custom starting characters with all the best traits maxed out so they are a nightmare to face as an ai empire or a bit of fun to use vs as a player race. Been fleshing it out with a custom map and other tweaks so might one day drop a link to it but for now it's just a bit of overpowered fun for myself.

Feel like the Shakturi should have been something more like that instead of what they were.

(in reply to LordMM)
Post #: 8
RE: Difficulty setting - 6/9/2020 12:45:34 PM   
LordMM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen
I'll give that a try thanks!

Dhayuts AI, Pink folks Have like 60,000 military power.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by LordMM -- 6/9/2020 12:46:59 PM >

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 9
RE: Difficulty setting - 6/10/2020 7:57:11 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

Feel like the Shakturi should have been something more like that instead of what they were.

That's my take too. The insect races in dwu feel more like evil humans instead of a relentless hive mind lowish tech but endlessly breeding and expanding menace which will simply overwhelm you if you don't keep them constantly in check. They kinda feel like star trek aliens when insects should be as inhuman as possible. I think the scifi movie district 9 portrayed them rather well in that regard as intelligent but not humans in an insect suit.

That's the feel I'm going for in the boskara with my minimod and it's coming along pretty well so far. Finding that fine balance between impossible to stop and a good long hard slugfest is proving difficult though and will probably require adding a few slightly buffed races to use as the player.

I really hope dw2 is this mod friendly.

< Message edited by SirHoraceHarkness -- 6/10/2020 7:59:23 PM >

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 10
RE: Difficulty setting - 6/11/2020 5:27:08 PM   
LordMM

Bacon with RETREAT UE makes most insect races spread like the plague with 10 times as much ships...

Post #: 11
RE: Difficulty setting - 6/11/2020 8:04:41 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

ORIGINAL: LordMM

Bacon with RETREAT UE makes most insect races spread like the plague with 10 times as much ships...

Yeah its a very nice mod but I prefer the vanilla game and icemania's mod solves most of the core games ai issues. It just needed some tweaks to fit my personal taste.

(in reply to LordMM)
Post #: 12
RE: Difficulty setting - 7/30/2020 3:57:31 AM   
Retreat1970

I just read this and I should explain the RetreatUE mod a little.

RetreatUE is an AI fixer like Icemania's mod but with one difference that being the research build orders (rbo). The rbo streamlines what the AI can build for each race and they do not research useless tech. This is the most dangerous thing about RetreatUE imo. I've played games on expert that on vanilla I could sleep through, but with RetreatUE I struggle badly. It's disheartening to see Atuuk at end tech when I'm not close. That was the whole point though. Challenge. A lower difficulty game plays great but only the masochists play expert.

I haven't beat expert. Maybe someday.

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> The War Room >> Difficulty setting Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI