Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Game ended

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> AAR >> RE: Game ended Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Game ended - 9/20/2020 6:11:12 PM   
Flaviusx

Also, France looks pretty easy to me what with the new African garrison requirements for the French. If the British go all in on France, they risk losing the ME or possibly even the UK itself, as you have just shown in your recent game. I don't think it is a good idea for the British to pile into France just to buy an extra turn or two there. It is going to fall in July at the very latest no matter what.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 91
RE: Game ended - 9/20/2020 6:12:03 PM   
Flaviusx

When is the next patch due? If it's not too long I can wait a bit.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 92
RE: Game ended - 9/20/2020 6:25:08 PM   
AlvaroSousa

I read through this as I am taking notes for balance. Maybe making a strategy video guide. Not sure yet. I kind of lean no because I don't want to take the discovery of strategy away from players.

Couple constructive criticisms.

#1 Germany needs more airforce. I build roughly 15 air units = 300 air points. I split between air sups and ground attack. Late in the war I start building more air sups. You seemed to only have ~200. Not only does the air sups maul the enemy planes but the bombers are like roaming + X ground factors in attack or defense.

#2 Why take North Africa if you aren't taking Gibraltar? Maybe I missed it but you didn't take it from what I can see.

#3 Subs.... MM posted he didn't see any. I have 9-11 on the map by 1941 surpassing history. It does slow down the Allies. You sacrifice X production to kill a multiple of X production that slows the Allies down.

#4 In the USSR you retreated too far back that one post. You should be retreating 1 hex at a time. Infantry have 5 opts.
Retreating 1 hex costs them 3 opts just to love in and they have 2 left and you gave up 1 hex.
Retreating 3 hexes costs them 5 opts and they can't attack. BUT you gave up triple the territory.
WarPlan is about time as well as units. Attacking still costs production and favors the attacker. As is they might get some attacks off but it will cost them to do so. Retreating too far back too fast just lets that juggernaught build more and more units. Retreating slowing buys you enough time. All you have to do is hold moral hex and have VPs to win the game.

I have had several games with Hadros and we discuss what we did right and wrong. We both concluded that basically the Axis should look for a mathematical advantage in taking territory and production as long as possible with a more balanced force and knowing when the enemy has been beat up enough that they can't recover if we start going defensive. Then we look to slowly retreat to win the game on VPs.

I will be looking at other AARs here and seeing what players are doing, where the flaws are, and if the leaning on Allied advantage is true or is a matter of play. IMO playing the Axis is harder than playing the Allies. You can screw up 50 ways from Sunday as the Allies and still win. As the Axis you need meticulous planning and resource management. This isn't purposely build into the game but just a matter of history. Any game like this requires a pretty good Axis player to be competitive.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to MagicMissile)
Post #: 93
RE: Game ended - 9/20/2020 6:47:03 PM   
Flaviusx

I screwed up the AF builds. No question about it.

But once that mistake was made a deliberate and gradual retreat in Russia was not going to work. So I ran. He had complete air superiority from the very first 43 clear turn. The Red Air Force massively outnumbered the Luftwaffe 2-1 and a gradual retreat would have resulted in large encirclements given the mass of Soviet armor in the northern sector. This was all path dependent and I had to take the lumps I did.

I'm going to try subs for real next time around.

I invaded NA because I wanted to take out Vichy France early on and not just hand over NA for free. I think ignoring Vichy France is a mistake because the allies can simply take Portugal, build up there and take out Spain in one turn and then make a beeline for France proper. Getting Vichy out of the way early makes this Iberian option less attractive for the Allies -- Germany can immediately flood Spain. Parenthetically, you might want to do something about the Spanish. They are too easily knocked out from Portugal.

And as it turned out MM was dissuaded from Iberia and got caught up in a very rough Italian campaign that nearly blew up on him. I'm more than happy with my Italian defense. I almost shut down the Allies hard. It could have gone the other way. Literally 1 more German mech unit in the theater might have swung the result.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 9/20/2020 7:05:59 PM >

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 94
RE: Game ended - 9/20/2020 7:19:08 PM   
MagicMissile

I think it was its supposed to come this week. But I dont think there were any major changes so we can start when you want.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 95
RE: Game ended - 9/20/2020 7:29:17 PM   
MagicMissile

I am too keen to follow history sometimes and Italy have been so easy to take out in earlier games. I also wanted to try to attack such a strongly prepared defense head on to see what I could accomplish.

Yes Italy was very difficult. Now with 2 ops when invading Sicily will be hard when it is so packed with units. Only thing I was thinking maybe you let me into Italy a bit too easy thinking that the strait of Messina on the tip must be fairly defensible.

Taking Gibraltar without Spain is not easy. I always build 6 AA as the UK either for Malta or Gibraltar and usually I settle for a 20 point corps but the UK shouldn´t have too much of a problem setting up a 30 point corps there.

Also I ask the question again if anyone knows how many VP hexes and for how long you need to hold them to actually get a Axis win if you survive to the end of the game.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 96
RE: Game ended - 9/20/2020 7:33:03 PM   
Flaviusx

I let you in to the boot deliberately. I was hoping to suck you into a grind where you could not easily resupply your troops; the logistics down there are pretty crap. But in retrospect I needed to put more armor down there to make this work.

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 97
RE: Game ended - 9/20/2020 8:15:01 PM   
MagicMissile

Devious plan and yes it is but the land units didnt get that tired but airunits were at the end. Tried to circle them out a bit to Malta and North Africa and Sardinia and of course I spent a lot of supply trucks I am a bit of a supply truck junkie also having some air in Greece helped out a bit too so wasnt completely wasteful to invade there.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 98
RE: Game ended - 9/20/2020 10:25:44 PM   
MorningDew

An Allied Portugal/Spain strategy feels very ahistorical to me. That's where I struggle with these games sometimes. There is no political penalty, whereas in the real war, there would have been a big penalty for the Allies doing that.

No idea what can be done about it, but just doesn't feel right. Perhaps a big VP penalty is an option?

Post #: 99
RE: Game ended - 9/21/2020 12:20:59 AM   
Flaviusx

An Iberian allied strategy was possible. I don't have any objections to this, really. My only problem is I think Spain is a bit too easy to knock out as things stand. It needs to be toughened up some.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to MorningDew)
Post #: 100
RE: Game ended - 9/21/2020 12:26:41 AM   
Flaviusx

Modest proposal: activate Vichy France as an Axis minor if the Allies invade Spain. Plus do a partial mobilization of Spain if the allies invade Portugal to beef it up.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 101
RE: Game ended - 9/21/2020 12:57:12 AM   
MagicMissile

I agree Spain could have happened under the right cirumstances. Also these games if there is no variation they are less fun, But some price to pay or a bit stronger Spain might not be a bad thing.

/MM

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 102
RE: Game ended - 9/21/2020 2:08:11 PM   
malkarma

And being honest. When the USA have joined the war, what kind of political consequences have the allies to worry about?
The only reason why Spain didn´t joined WWII is because Franco was enough smart to placate Hitler regarding his "neutrality" as well as the allies.
This said...It´s too easy to invade Spain.

Post #: 103
RE: Game ended - 9/23/2020 7:28:06 PM   
AlvaroSousa

I do have plans in place to call up reserves for Spain if Portugal is invaded so they aren't taken out in 1 shot. I'll do a little research on this situation.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to malkarma)
Post #: 104
RE: Game ended - 9/23/2020 7:49:31 PM   
ncc1701e

Thanks, that would be cool.

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 105
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> AAR >> RE: Game ended Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI