Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Italy amphibiously invades Greece - how?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Italy amphibiously invades Greece - how? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Italy amphibiously invades Greece - how? - 6/6/2020 1:01:38 AM   
Carterjon

So I read on another thread that Italy should amphibiously invade Greece. In my first game as Axis I carefully built 3 Marines and enough landing craft. I declared war on Greece and to my horror discovered its a 5 strength corps defending Athens. I assumed it would be a nominal defense. How realistically does Italy take that out?

Edit: realized this should go under War Room but cant figure out how to move.

Thanks

< Message edited by Carterjon -- 6/6/2020 1:54:02 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Italy amphibiously invades Greece - how? - 6/6/2020 5:06:27 AM   
sveint

It's hard for Italy. Use mountain corps, normal corps and air units. Need to surround Athens as soon as possible,
and watch your supply lines.

If the UK shows up... time to beg Germany for assistance.

PS: The people complaining that it's unhistorical are wrong. It will be really hard going for Italy
even under a competent commander (you).

(in reply to Carterjon)
Post #: 2
RE: Italy amphibiously invades Greece - how? - 6/6/2020 7:21:14 AM   
Harrybanana

CarterJon, build enough naval landing points (is that what they are called) to allow you to invade with at least 3 corps. Some people also build airborne units and air transport points. The key is to capture the open port in the Peloponnese (a few hexes SW of Athens). This will allow your units to be in supply. Meanwhile also attack from Albania. the Greeks will be hard pressed to defend on all fronts. But as Sveint says it is not a cakewalk, especially if the British show up in force. You will probably need German help. But the reward is well worth it. Capturing Greece before March 41 means that Yugoslavia will join the Axis. So invading Greece is the right move; but it is not as easy as I mistakenly previously posted that I thought it would be. FYI, if you see me post one thing and Flavius post an opposing view, the smart money is on Flavius.

Sveint, imho, it is unhistorical. Not because historically Italy did not invade the Peloponnese; I mean the whole point of a game like this is to use strategies different from the ones that were used historically. No it is unhistorical because Italy did not have the logistical ability to have invaded Greece in 1940. The logistics of the D-Day landings required the greatest armada the world has ever seen and only 6 divisions were landed on the first day. Admittedly, each turn in Warplan is 2 weeks, but still it was beyond Italy's ability to do something like this. Having said that, I have no problem with them being able to do this in this game; after all it is only a game and a fun one at that.

(in reply to sveint)
Post #: 3
RE: Italy amphibiously invades Greece - how? - 6/6/2020 8:18:36 AM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: Carterjon
realized this should go under War Room but cant figure out how to move.

/quote]

Don't worry - hardly anything goes into the war room on any Matrix forums I look at, and even bug reports are mainly on this thread too

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to Carterjon)
Post #: 4
RE: Italy amphibiously invades Greece - how? - 6/6/2020 8:59:58 AM   
MVokt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harrybanana
Sveint, imho, it is unhistorical. Not because historically Italy did not invade the Peloponnese; I mean the whole point of a game like this is to use strategies different from the ones that were used historically. No it is unhistorical because Italy did not have the logistical ability to have invaded Greece in 1940. The logistics of the D-Day landings required the greatest armada the world has ever seen and only 6 divisions were landed on the first day. Admittedly, each turn in Warplan is 2 weeks, but still it was beyond Italy's ability to do something like this. Having said that, I have no problem with them being able to do this in this game; after all it is only a game and a fun one at that.

A game should be fun not for being able to do unrealistic things but for keeping the balance and interest. There's also the military history learning thing: people without knowledge of WW2, may think that Italians would have been able to launch such an amphibious operation.

(in reply to Harrybanana)
Post #: 5
RE: Italy amphibiously invades Greece - how? - 6/6/2020 7:53:44 PM   
sveint

Not to create a whole discussion but my point is, in the game Italy can start planning/producing differently from September 1939. So landings are "what if", not "historical".

(in reply to MVokt)
Post #: 6
RE: Italy amphibiously invades Greece - how? - 6/7/2020 10:27:42 AM   
MVokt

Also we have to consider terrain. Compare the plains of Normandy beaches to the highly mountainous terrain of Greece.

(in reply to sveint)
Post #: 7
RE: Italy amphibiously invades Greece - how? - 6/7/2020 2:12:57 PM   
AlvaroSousa

A properly prepared UK should be able to block that port with it's fleet and make an invasion miserable for the Italians.

Games worked on

Designer of the Strategic Command 2 products
- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

Designer of the Strategic Command 3 products
- Map Image Importer

(in reply to MVokt)
Post #: 8
RE: Italy amphibiously invades Greece - how? - 6/7/2020 3:06:15 PM   
kennonlightfoot

I usually take on Greece with a combined arms strategy. Build two Italian Marine units with transports. Very cheap and very versatile for later. Use one to take the undefended port. The other to block the western coastal road to Athens so the Greek troops can fall back to defend it. The German's need to contribute at least one mountain unit and their airborne. Use the airborne to cut off the eastern road back to Athens. The mountain troops keep the Greek army occupied. With the taking of the port use it to transport in the large combat units needed to take Athens. This should leave Athens surround with strong units able to take it all accomplished in a single turn. Add some air power and Greece should fall on turn two.

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Italy amphibiously invades Greece - how? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI