Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: amusing things your spouse or relatives tell you...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: amusing things your spouse or relatives tell you... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: amusing things your spouse or relatives tell yo... - 6/6/2020 9:19:59 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: CV10

quote:

quote:

My Dad is a teacher. When my brother and I were kids and we had snow days, my mom (a banker) would leave a colossal list of chores for us to do by the time she got home from work. My dad would read the list, have us quickly do the 2 things that would be noticed, and then chuck the list in the trash. Then we'd go out for breakfast.

My mom took it in good humor and by the time we were in high school it was a family joke.

Sounds nice.

But I got to ask; you make snow days sound like a regular occurrence, and that makes me wonder how bad the winters were where you grew up?

Our winters were pretty hit-or-miss: warm and easy one year and terrible the next. Our school district had a lot of students who walked (either to schools or bus stops) so a lot of our 'snow days' were due to extreme cold rather than snowed-in streets.

They weren't too regular, but our routine was always the same

We missed a whole week when I was in middle school because 3 days of subzero temperature got followed by a blizzard that shut down the streets.

To someone from Sweden, our winters would probably be considerably mild and we'd all be seen as wimps!

No, not at all.

Although I probably would have thought that when I went to school. I used to walk most days to school for the first 12 years. It went from a 5 min walk for the first years, to a 30 min walk, one way, for the final years. And the rain was far worse than the cold and the snow. And I do not recall ever having a snow day. Blizzards made you struggle to get to school, but almost everyone did. I wonder if we somehow challenged each other. It was just understood that it was your responsibility to get there.

But as I got older I realized that it only comes down to how prepared you and the society is. And here we are less prepared now than we were back then. I suppose it is, in part, a money issue. Being prepared costs. Anyway. The more common snow and cold is the more prepared you generally are. So no, you are not wimps, you just do not have it cold enough to feel the need to prepare more (and pay for it). You rather take snow days.

In Canada and the Northern USA the issue is often school buses in rural areas. When the temperature is below -20ºC and the wind is drifting snow about, getting a school bus full of children stuck can be a disaster. In some rural areas cell phone service is spotty or non-existent. Rather than take a chance with children's lives, a snow day is declared so they can stay home. First item on the news on winter mornings is often the list of districts with school closures.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 31
RE: OT: amusing things your spouse or relatives tell yo... - 6/6/2020 11:04:14 PM   
rockmedic109

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

My Dad is a teacher. When my brother and I were kids and we had snow days, my mom (a banker) would leave a colossal list of chores for us to do by the time she got home from work. My dad would read the list, have us quickly do the 2 things that would be noticed, and then chuck the list in the trash. Then we'd go out for breakfast.

My mom took it in good humor and by the time we were in high school it was a family joke.

Sounds nice.

But I got to ask; you make snow days sound like a regular occurrence, and that makes me wonder how bad the winters were where you grew up?

Our winters were pretty hit-or-miss: warm and easy one year and terrible the next. Our school district had a lot of students who walked (either to schools or bus stops) so a lot of our 'snow days' were due to extreme cold rather than snowed-in streets.

We missed a whole week when I was in middle school because 3 days of subzero temperature got followed by a blizzard that shut down the streets.

To someone from Sweden, our winters would probably be considerably mild and we'd all be seen as wimps!

No, not at all.

Although I probably would have thought that when I went to school. I used to walk most days to school for the first 12 years. It went from a 5 min walk for the first years, to a 30 min walk, one way, for the final years. And the rain was far worse than the cold and the snow. And I do not recall ever having a snow day. Blizzards made you struggle to get to school, but almost everyone did. I wonder if we somehow challenged each other. It was just understood that it was your responsibility to get there.

But as I got older I realized that it only comes down to how prepared you and the society is. And here we are less prepared now than we were back then. I suppose it is, in part, a money issue. Being prepared costs. Anyway. The more common snow and cold is the more prepared you generally are. So no, you are not wimps, you just do not have it cold enough to feel the need to prepare more (and pay for it). You rather take snow days.

In Canada and the Northern USA the issue is often school buses in rural areas. When the temperature is below -20ºC and the wind is drifting snow about, getting a school bus full of children stuck can be a disaster. In some rural areas cell phone service is spotty or non-existent. Rather than take a chance with children's lives, a snow day is declared so they can stay home. First item on the news on winter mornings is often the list of districts with school closures.

You young'ens are all spoilt. Back in mah day, we walked miles to school in the snow and it was always uphill!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 32
RE: OT: amusing things your spouse or relatives tell yo... - 6/6/2020 11:37:56 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sounds nice.

No, not at all.

You young'ens are all spoilt. Back in mah day, we walked miles to school in the snow and it was always uphill!

You think you had it tough? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 33
RE: OT: amusing things your spouse or relatives tell yo... - 6/7/2020 12:25:16 AM   
fcooke

you forgot the barefoot part......

Post #: 34
RE: OT: amusing things your spouse or relatives tell yo... - 6/7/2020 1:23:19 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

You forgot, it was always up hill both ways.

Currently fighting for the Emperor against AW1Steve. As of 9/20 it is 2/45.

Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: amusing things your spouse or relatives tell you... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI