Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Spying and Intelligence

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Spying and Intelligence Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Spying and Intelligence - 5/30/2020 7:03:47 PM   
mdsmall

Two questions about this research option:

- Is there any difference in results for a player (say the Central Powers) in having a Level 2 in Spying and Intelligence for the Germans, versus a Level 1 for Spying and Intelligence for two of your major powers e.g. Germany and Austria-Hungary?

- Do different Major Powers have different intelligence sources? Thus, if the Ottomans have a Level 1 in Spying and Intelligence, does that produce different results for the Central Powers player than if the Germans had a Level 1?

Michael

< Message edited by mdsmall -- 5/30/2020 8:04:09 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Spying and Intelligence - 6/1/2020 11:12:04 AM   
BillRunacre

For research purposes, Germany having the highest level in this is probably the best because if Germany surrenders then everything is lost, whereas the Ottomans may surrender in which case Germany would lose out on their boost.

However, each Major's success assists in the spotting of hidden enemy units, so there is a benefit to having the Ottomans research this too.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 2
RE: Spying and Intelligence - 6/1/2020 2:30:49 PM   
mdsmall

Hi Bill - let me rephrase my question. Do different Majors spot different things using spying and intelligence? Or if any of the major powers has a 1 level in this function, it will yield the approximately the same results each turn.

Cheers,

Michael

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 3
RE: Spying and Intelligence - 6/2/2020 10:37:53 AM   
BillRunacre

Yes, they do spot different things, so the more that have it, the more you should see.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 4
RE: Spying and Intelligence - 6/2/2020 3:48:49 PM   
Taxman66

My understanding is that each level gives 1% chance to reveal each enemy unit.
So if GE is at S&I 2, AH is at S&I 1, and Otto at S&I 0 then the CP turn start will check every Entente unit and have a 2% chance followed by a 1% chance to be revealed.

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 5
RE: Spying and Intelligence - 10/16/2020 10:17:11 PM   
Chernobyl

I thought the research bonus applied individually for each country. Is there no research benefit to researching spying for austria/ottomans if Germany already has level 2?

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 6
RE: Spying and Intelligence - 10/18/2020 1:53:57 PM   
dwesolick

In my last game as Central Powers I had Germany, AH and the Ottomans research spying up to level 2 and I definitely saw an increase in intel. The popups also show you from which country (Germany, AH or Ottomans) the intel came.

The intel is fairly random and not always terribly useful (got several reports on a US detachment in Washington while America was still neutral) but others were quite helpful. Like intel in real life, I suppose.

"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur

(in reply to Chernobyl)
Post #: 7
RE: Spying and Intelligence - 10/18/2020 2:18:32 PM   
Taxman66

Research Benefit and Spotting are different functions that both use S&I.

Research Benefit is gained only if your S&I level is greater than all of the opposing powers S&I level. So for defensive purposes (i.e. denying your opponent a benefit) only the power with the highest level on your side counts. Multiple powers investing in it does have the benefit of increasing the chance of 1 of them leaping ahead via a breakthrough.

If an individual power gets a Research Benefit because it's S&I level is higher than all of the opponents, it only applies to the power itself and does NOT provide any benefit for allies.

----
Unit Spotting is directly based on simply having a level greater than 0 for S&I, and is checked for each power on the active (i.e turn taking) side individually. If UK has S&I 2, France S&I 1, Russia S&I 0, Serbia S&I 0, and Italy S&I 0, then there will be 2 checks for each CP unit to be revealed, 1st check is 2% chance and the 2nd check 1% chance.

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to dwesolick)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Spying and Intelligence Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI