Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Axis Strategy In Barbarossa

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> Axis Strategy In Barbarossa Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Axis Strategy In Barbarossa - 5/28/2020 2:28:12 AM   
forestrouse

Hi. I just finished my first games in Barbarossa - one on Axis one on Allied against Intermediate AI. I wanted to start at that level of AI just to get a feeling for the game mechanics. Let me say first, this is the WWII simulation game I have been looking for years for.

Is there any possible Barbarossa strategy that has a hope in heck of winning on the Axis side? Even though I made a ton of mistakes as the Allied player, the war in Russia more or less played out as in real life - A salient forming around Rzhev at the end of 1941, a huge battle of encirclement near Kharkiv in 1943. There were some differences - neither I (when playing Axis) or the computer (when it played Axis) could get past Rostov, neither I or the computer could break through to Leningrad and it became a great big slog where eventually AGN collapsed. Army group center collapsed in fall 1943 instead of summer 1944 - but generally I think the War in the East went according to Hoyle.

My only question would be in terms of raising successive Soviet Armies. The cost for buying the immediate replacements of the first 2 armies seems about right, but continuing to replace the lost units after the 3rd may be too easy. When I played Allies, the Soviets ended up with 20K MPPs because there was nothing to spend it on from late 1944 onward.

Does anyone have thoughts on what a successful Axis strategy in the East might be?
Post #: 1
RE: Axis Strategy In Barbarossa - 5/28/2020 3:41:14 AM   
klschult

If units are at 5 or less supply (less than 5?) when eliminated they cannot be brought back at cheap prices or as quickly. If over 5 supply then they cost twice as much and take twice as long to build new ones. Eventually, they run out. (Takes a while.)

(in reply to forestrouse)
Post #: 2
RE: Axis Strategy In Barbarossa - 5/28/2020 2:48:04 PM   
Elessar2

That's the rub, kill directly in supply or surround 1st then kill so no cheapie rebuilds. The issue is that it is hard to fully surround large groups of enemy units in one turn, annnd cities are vital for your own supply. I can only gaze on the WitE AARs and the huge pockets they form there.

I'm going to try a wild modification and give units ~50% more movement capability-default for armor & motorized units right now is 5 [I talked Crispy into using 6 as the default in his mod] +1 more for motorization. I may at the same time break down all army units into corps as a way of balancing things and increasing unit density.

(in reply to klschult)
Post #: 3
RE: Axis Strategy In Barbarossa - 5/28/2020 4:28:05 PM   
The Land

quote:

ORIGINAL: forestrouse

Is there any possible Barbarossa strategy that has a hope in heck of winning on the Axis side?

Yes, there are :)

If you have only just started playing then you'll find your tactics in terms of unit positions, orders of attacks and so on will improve a lot.

But thinking about actual strategy, the best bet is to pick on one target (Stalingrad, Moscow or Leningrad) and work for that with concentrated forces, including a bunch of HQs and all your air units. It's normal for the target you pick to fall in the spring of 1942.

Post #: 4
RE: Axis Strategy In Barbarossa - 5/28/2020 6:48:27 PM   
forestrouse

Thanks all of you - all great points. My biggest takeaway from my first foray into the game is supply and the management of it. But also my handling of air and naval units needs improvement too.

I will take a look at the supply rules for Soviet replacements especially. Maybe the reason why I did so well as the allied player (completely by accident) is that I traded space for time in the Soviet Union so that I didn't allow the AI to make big pockets in 1941/1942.

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 5
RE: Axis Strategy In Barbarossa - 5/28/2020 8:10:25 PM   
PvtBenjamin

quote:

ORIGINAL: forestrouse

Hi. I just finished my first games in Barbarossa - one on Axis one on Allied against Intermediate AI. I wanted to start at that level of AI just to get a feeling for the game mechanics. Let me say first, this is the WWII simulation game I have been looking for years for.

Is there any possible Barbarossa strategy that has a hope in heck of winning on the Axis side? Even though I made a ton of mistakes as the Allied player, the war in Russia more or less played out as in real life - A salient forming around Rzhev at the end of 1941, a huge battle of encirclement near Kharkiv in 1943. There were some differences - neither I (when playing Axis) or the computer (when it played Axis) could get past Rostov, neither I or the computer could break through to Leningrad and it became a great big slog where eventually AGN collapsed. Army group center collapsed in fall 1943 instead of summer 1944 - but generally I think the War in the East went according to Hoyle.

My only question would be in terms of raising successive Soviet Armies. The cost for buying the immediate replacements of the first 2 armies seems about right, but continuing to replace the lost units after the 3rd may be too easy. When I played Allies, the Soviets ended up with 20K MPPs because there was nothing to spend it on from late 1944 onward.

Does anyone have thoughts on what a successful Axis strategy in the East might be?

Are you referring to Barbarossa within the '39 scenario or the '41 (Barbarossa) scenario?

Post #: 6
RE: Axis Strategy In Barbarossa - 5/28/2020 8:17:50 PM   
forestrouse

(in reply to PvtBenjamin)
Post #: 7
RE: Axis Strategy In Barbarossa - 5/28/2020 8:24:56 PM   
PvtBenjamin

Ok sorry I don't have experience with that one.

enjoy.

Post #: 8
RE: Axis Strategy In Barbarossa - 6/2/2020 1:05:44 AM   
forestrouse

Hi. Followed the advice and was able to take Leningrad in Summer 42 along with Egypt. Things are falling apart for the Axis in late 43, but I think I see the basics of what the Axis strategy should be. Thanks to all for the great pointers.

I still need to improve how I handle supply and air-forces, but I think I will get better with some practice.

I am going to try Allies with expert AI and see how that goes.

(in reply to PvtBenjamin)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> Axis Strategy In Barbarossa Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI