Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum (J) - Allied Side

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum (J) - Allied Side Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 8/18/2020 12:19:52 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BlitzimX

January 2nd

An other counter attack at Ichang, with about the same result as yesterday. The good point is that he's using supply,and each squad lost on his side is worst than mine. I expect the other troops to arrive tomorow, and in 2 days we'll do an attack on our own to probe at the defenses.

quote:

Ground combat at Ichang (83,48)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 15926 troops, 116 guns, 24 vehicles, Assault Value = 484

Defending force 28327 troops, 150 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 700

Japanese adjusted assault: 146

Allied adjusted defense: 394

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), fatigue(-), morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1506 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 93 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 15 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 11 disabled

Allied ground losses:
773 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 48 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 8 (2 destroyed, 6 disabled)

Assaulting units:
34th Division
13th RGC Temp. Division

Defending units:
32nd Chinese Corps
2nd Chinese Corps
75th Chinese Corps

Unfortunatly, as i feared, a unit has moved into Nanyang to protect the city. However my troops are still on the way and should enter it in a day or two to contest it. Other than this, other units are moving along the road to Siam, so even if i can't take the city he'll be forced to leave a few units to protect the road if he doesn't want to be cut of. I expect him to be in Siam in about 2 or 3 days, given the speed and strengh of his units.

Below a screenshot of the major troop movements in the area, to give a better idea.

--------------

The rest of the day is mostly marked by progress in the Solomons by the Japanese, and a few stupid moments on my sides, mostly forgeting to allow unloading for some TFS which are now leaving the area.

An other thing i'm wondering is that i have 2 TFs docked in port at Midway and Adak island, but they've been stuck unloading troops with barley any progress. In Adack they are unloading CD artillery, and Midway some Motorized divisions. Even if docked, does the port size matter for those? Both are LVL1 forts.

My 2 CVs and their refuel fleet are soon reaching their parking spot near Manihiki. They'll move to NZ in a few days.

Finaly the 3 P40-E squadrons from the PI have been unloaded in Darwin and will be dispatched in bases which can host them. Which are not a lot, given the lack of Aviation support for now in Australia.

Check the manual chart about port size and unloading rates. At a level one port, a docked vessel cannot be larger than 6000 tons and only 6000 tons of vessels total can be docked. A cargo or transport ship docked there can only unload 200 points per day. If undocked, the cargo ship will unload 100 points and the transport unload depends on the size of the equipment. At a level 1 port, you are better off having troops arrive loaded amphibiously so they can unload without docking. But that does not mean everything will unload.

CD guns are very heavy and can take up to three days to unload a single gun, if it will unload at all. If it doesn't unload after three days of constant effort, it isn't going to. At that point you need a larger port or naval support to get it unloaded. USN and RN BFs are very useful for small ports. So are the 6 Port Service Dets. that you get.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to BlitzimX)
Post #: 91
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 8/18/2020 1:45:16 PM   
BlitzimX

I'll check that, thanks.

Related to the Northern Japanese push in China toward Siam, i also realized that taking the city would put about 20 Japanese units or so at the backdoor of China's capital. To prevent an easy access and provide closer range for my bombers, i've decided to move some ENG units from my back areas to Kienko to build up the base and airport.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 92
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 8/18/2020 2:03:55 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

I'll check that, thanks.

Related to the Northern Japanese push in China toward Siam, i also realized that taking the city would put about 20 Japanese units or so at the backdoor of China's capital. To prevent an easy access and provide closer range for my bombers, i've decided to move some ENG units from my back areas to Kienko to build up the base and airport.

Not to be too picky since I understand what you mean but Siam is modern Thailand. Sian is a city in China in this game.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to BlitzimX)
Post #: 93
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 8/22/2020 3:53:34 PM   
BlitzimX

January 3rd

As expected, he saw through my moves and left some units in Nanyang, and one unit guarding the road to Sian. One Hex is still free , but i don't think he'll leave it empty. Anyway, i don't stop my troops from moving there and try to do some damage. They wouldn't have anything else to do anyway so better put them to use.

In Ichang, all my troops have arrived. I'll throw a deliberate attack and see what comes out of it. I got a good supply, higher numbers and good preparation, it shouldn't be too much of a slaughter.

Progress is also being made in Malaya with the fall of Kuala Lumpur. Due to daily bombing, the forts at Singapore will remain stuck at lvl 3, but he seems to clean out the peninsula for now so i still have a bit of breathing room.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 94
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 8/23/2020 8:28:27 PM   
BlitzimX

January 4th

New day, new defeat near Sian. Troops have been pushed back in a single sweep, nothing can stop this army for now.
I had moved some planes in Sian to bomb the incoming waves, but the planes didn't take off. I'll have to pull them back next turn, as Japanese units will probably enter the city in a day. Not sure if the LVL 3 forts will help.

quote:

Ground combat at 84,42 (near Sian)

Attacking force 76387 troops, 714 guns, 113 vehicles, Assault Value = 2097

Defending force 27790 troops, 159 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 535

Japanese adjusted assault: 1733

Allied adjusted defense: 646

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1299 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 131 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled
Engineers: 4 destroyed, 20 disabled

Allied ground losses:
8284 casualties reported
Squads: 339 destroyed, 23 disabled
Non Combat: 228 destroyed, 19 disabled
Engineers: 17 destroyed, 4 disabled
Guns lost 56 (37 destroyed, 19 disabled)
Units retreated 8

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
35th Division
13th Division
13th Tank Regiment
8th Ind Engineer Regiment
40th Division
6th Division
1st Ind.Mixed Brigade
3rd Division
2nd Ind Engineer Regiment
3rd Ind.Mixed Brigade
15th Ind.Medium Field Artillery Regiment
14th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
51st Ind.Mtn.Gun Battalion
2nd Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
52nd Ind.Mtn.Gun Battalion

Defending units:
41st Chinese Corps
90th Chinese Corps
36th Chinese Corps
92nd Chinese Corps
13th Chinese Corps
7th New Chinese Corps
5th War Area
22nd Group Army

Do you need to own the HEX to block the flow of supply, or is having a unit in it enough, even if it's not yours?
If having a unit in is enough, i'll just leave my unit sitting in Nanyang and not try kicking him out.

No fighting in Ichang this turn, as i simply forgot to set my troops to attack. We'll see next turn.

Further south, Tulagi has been captured. I myself started building up Lugainville, and positioned my first PBYs there for patrolling. Hopefully i can have a better view of his intentions. I'm sensing something big is going to come my way given i haven't seen any of the KB or Mini KB in a while. Wake is still uncaptured, but i sense a big operation. Either a push on Midway or a surprise swing in Australia. Hopefully with all the recon and search i have on the Midway/PH/Noumea line, i can see him coming.

< Message edited by BlitzimX -- 8/23/2020 8:29:02 PM >

(in reply to BlitzimX)
Post #: 95
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 8/23/2020 8:56:43 PM   
RangerJoe

Own the hexsides that the supply needs to cross. Hit "W" to see hexside control.

― Julia Child

(in reply to BlitzimX)
Post #: 96
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 8/24/2020 8:28:27 PM   
BlitzimX

January 5th

Once again main action of this surprisingly light turn is in China.

First good news, the unit guarding Nanyang and easily got kicked out, giving me back controle of the city. That means i can go all out with my bombers once again, given he doesn't have any base for his fighter nearby anymore, at least until the fall of Sian in about 2 days. 2 units are however heading for the city, and given the lack of supplies i'm not sure i'll hold out for very long.

Fight in Ichang went..okay. It wasn't a slaughter, but i'll go on fighting for a day or two. Despite the lack of supplies, we got a nice numerical advantage and i think i can kick him out.

quote:

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 50159 troops, 272 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1375

Defending force 14828 troops, 116 guns, 24 vehicles, Assault Value = 372

Allied adjusted assault: 1433

Japanese adjusted defense: 481

Allied assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 3)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: forts(+), fatigue(-), experience(-)
Attacker: op mode(-)

Japanese ground losses:
716 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 94 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Allied ground losses:
1000 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 107 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 10 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Assaulting units:
67th Chinese Corps
45th Chinese Corps
68th Chinese Corps
32nd Chinese Corps
2nd Chinese Corps
75th Chinese Corps
26th Group Army

Defending units:
34th Division
13th RGC Temp. Division

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Nanyang (85,45)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 8115 troops, 38 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 281

Defending force 1274 troops, 12 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 41

Allied adjusted assault: 85

Japanese adjusted defense: 5

Allied assault odds: 17 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied forces CAPTURE Nanyang !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(-), preparation(-), morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
498 casualties reported
Squads: 16 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 21 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 4 (4 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 1

Allied ground losses:
25 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
29th Chinese Corps
30th Chinese Corps

Defending units:
12th RGC Temp. Division

Below a map of the situation in China which is, i admit, a bit confusing.

Basicaly, appart from the action toward Sian with a massive 15 units push, all the other fronts are calm. The only other fights are Jap units bullying the few Chinese units i move here and there to block roads and a few bombers hitting West of Changsha. Even in Chengchow and Loyang, where he has around 12 units in the area, have not seen any fight what so ever. A few units are also moving north in Paotow, but that's it.

I'm a bit more confident with the push on Sian that i can bleed him out a bit. Even if he captures the city, all those units will be stuck here, and i for now controle all the roads to it so supplies may be scarce. My units may be sacrificed up there, but they'll still have some bite to bleed him bit by bit and force him to use supply. At least, that's the plan i'll try to put in place, granted i'm not kicked from Nanyang too soon.

In the rest of the world nothing much to report. I sent a bunch of American base units to CT via Eastern US, and a full division is embarking for a long Pacific trip to Auz. Enterprise and her sister are nicely parked in the southern islands, just in case. If nothing much happens, i'll move them back up to PH.

< Message edited by BlitzimX -- 8/24/2020 8:29:53 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 97
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 8/31/2020 7:49:33 AM   
BlitzimX

January 6th

Very very quite turn. Only one sortie from the Japanese, even Singapore got some rest.

Fighting in Ishang continues. Despite our losses, i think we can claim the city in 1 or 2 days at this rate.

Sian will be attacked next turn, and lost in about 2 or 3 days. Meanwhile, two or three units are converging on Nanyang; i don't think we will hold more than 1 or 2 days.

It may be too late at this point, but i'm going to try and evacuate some troops for PM instead of leaving them to die. I may leave only a basic ENG force in it. Likewise, i'll try and deliver some INF on Wake from PH, but i doubt i can gether the transports and troops in time before it falls.

Still no idea where any of his CVs are atm.

(in reply to BlitzimX)
Post #: 98
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 8/31/2020 9:52:58 PM   
BlitzimX

January 7th

A storm is brewing on the horizon, and soon enough we're going to feel its wrath.
Multiple signs suggest that something is going to fall on us on multiple fronts, so we have to hope we'll manage to save some things.

First with the easy part, China.

Ichang has fallen faster than i expected, with relatively limited losses. Troops are shown moving down toward Hankow, probably to intercept the HQ i sent to cut the road between Hankow and Sinyang. This gives the city some breathing room, and allows me to pull back big units to the rear more easily. I am also considering attacking Sinyang, where only one unit is reported, but i don't see much benefit to this. Plus it could be a big bad unit.

quote:

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 47733 troops, 272 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1089

Defending force 13054 troops, 116 guns, 24 vehicles, Assault Value = 181

Allied adjusted assault: 1058

Japanese adjusted defense: 93

Allied assault odds: 11 to 1 (fort level 1)

Allied forces CAPTURE Ichang !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
4986 casualties reported
Squads: 129 destroyed, 16 disabled
Non Combat: 119 destroyed, 32 disabled
Engineers: 27 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 55 (47 destroyed, 8 disabled)
Vehicles lost 21 (21 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 2

Allied ground losses:
625 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 95 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 2 disabled

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
67th Chinese Corps
2nd Chinese Corps
32nd Chinese Corps
68th Chinese Corps
45th Chinese Corps
75th Chinese Corps
26th Group Army

Defending units:
34th Division
13th RGC Temp. Division

In Sian, the first enemy units have reached the city. I've ordered a full attack against them, not only to use the numerical superiority we have for now, but also the rest of the enemy units are bound to arrive next turn. I am not sure they'll arrive in move mode, but it's worth trying; my units are dead anyway. If it fails, i'll try to hold and force him to use his supplies while i bomb him.

Enemy units also reached Nanyang, we'll see if i can hold there despite the lack of supplies.

Lastly, taking a bit of a bet, i am pulling out the biggest units from Chengchow, west toward Nanyang. They haven't fought since the begining, and they'd be more usefull over there. I originaly ordered them North, but my oponent may have seen the move and sent his units toward Loyang. Change of plan then.

------

The first real move is in the Sumatra Area. Japanese captured Benkalis, meaning that he'll very likely try going for Djambi and Palembang soon enough, even with Singapore still intact. Taking the threat, i decide top pull back my ENG unit and transport unit from Djambi back to Palembang (they were still flying units from north Soumatra). I have quite a force down here, but mostly made of NL forces so not very efficent. Still, could be a bump in the road.

Further south near Ambon, 10 enemy ships have been reported. Very unlikely that he's pushed that far, and with no visible ship, i doubt the report. Still, i send my fleet near Ambon..just in case. It won't stop a full blown invasion, but can fend of a small fleet (no radar thought..).

------

Second interesting zone is SoPac. We have our first report of Heavy transmissions in Truk and Kwajalein, plus a small invasion raiding fleet in Jaluit. I send subs to scout right in the bases to have a look, this may be sign of a push East toward the islands. I have good hope to see them coming, given the patrols i run.

An other small fleet of 2 ships has been located a bit north toward Wake. Despite the southern path, i don't think those are mere merchants. Probably a refueling TF for the assault on Wake, or something further East like Midway.

I won't move my carriers up, yet, until i have a firm idea of where the KB is. The two in PH stay here for now as well.

Things will soon heat up.

On a side note, would you advise for the recall of the 8th Indian division, which has just been destroyed?

< Message edited by BlitzimX -- 8/31/2020 9:54:56 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 99
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 9/1/2020 1:32:17 AM   
RangerJoe

Yes, recall the division as it will take awhile for it to arrive. When it does come, turn off the infantry replacements as those are precious but let it take other replacements. Any device that you are short of should be stockpiled for the combat capable, front line capable units.

― Julia Child

(in reply to BlitzimX)
Post #: 100
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 9/1/2020 2:57:15 PM   
BlitzimX

Good point :) Still have to get the hang of replacements, for now most is on stockpiling and mostly ENG and Support are getting new units.

An other point i was wondering : I have a pretty hefty army sitting in Wenchow, with no sign of Jap attack. DO you think i should try and push somewhere, or bring back the 25K units back toward the rear lines? It's a pretty long March, but they're quite useless down there.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 101
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 9/1/2020 6:06:35 PM   
RangerJoe

Let him evict them. That city makes supplies, do not cheaply give away your supply sources. The only thing that you might want to move out is a base for and/or engineers but those are still useful there to move in bombers for Naval Attacks.

Edit: Fighters with bombs will also work. But the aircraft have to relocate the very next turn.

< Message edited by RangerJoe -- 9/1/2020 6:07:36 PM >

― Julia Child

(in reply to BlitzimX)
Post #: 102
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 9/2/2020 11:16:40 PM   
BlitzimX

January 8th

Mostly information gathering and some fights on this turn.

The counter attack on Sian didn't go as planned, and we ended up with quite a lot of casualties, and nearly dry of supply. Time to get on the defensive.
But since Nanyang is still contested and in allied hands, so far, he may also have supply issues with all those units lost up north. Sian may be able to hold a few days, hopefully, with a level 3 fort.

I however have to stop the bombing runs, as the last one got shreded by zeros i suppose patroling from Kaifeng.

quote:

Ground combat at Sian (83,41)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 54690 troops, 291 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1378

Defending force 50843 troops, 505 guns, 98 vehicles, Assault Value = 1438

Allied adjusted assault: 504

Japanese adjusted defense: 971

Allied assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: preparation(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
931 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Non Combat: 40 destroyed, 10 disabled
Engineers: 22 destroyed, 7 disabled
Guns lost 7 (1 destroyed, 6 disabled)
Vehicles lost 10 (9 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

Allied ground losses:
4226 casualties reported
Squads: 98 destroyed, 267 disabled
Non Combat: 25 destroyed, 18 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 13 disabled
Guns lost 31 (2 destroyed, 29 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

Assaulting units:
7th New Chinese Corps
3rd Chinese Corps
76th Chinese Corps
41st Chinese Corps
92nd Chinese Corps
13th Chinese Corps
36th Chinese Corps
16th Chinese Corps
90th Chinese Corps
57th Chinese Corps
4th Construction Regiment
22nd Group Army
Red Chinese Army
5th War Area
34th Group Army
4th Chinese Base Force

Defending units:
2nd Ind Engineer Regiment
13th Tank Regiment
40th Division
6th Division
13th Division
35th Division

In Chengchow, my retreat has been cut short as Japanese units are seen moving down to intercept. It seems he finaly decided to start the assault on the 2 cities, so my units are not going anywhere.

Nanyang may come under attack in a day or two. Not sure i can hold.

Nothing else to report in China.

------------------

An increase in intensity of the Air campaign against SING seem to indicate an imminent attack. Moulmein has also been reconed multiple times on the past days.

Further south, most islands in the Solomons are occupied by now. I'm slowly pulling back assets from Townsville more south. Not that i had many things in the area anyway.

------------------

On the Intel level, one of my subs almost got sunk while scouting in Truck, but it was worth it. It seems part of the KB is in there, and not moving a lot. However, some radio transmissions between the Marianas and Wake at 2 separate spots seem to indicate a fleet is sailing to capture the island. My PBYs haven't detected anything, yet.

------------------

I may have done a mistake in Eastern US. I managed to downgrade a 20 strong squadron of P-38E to P39D, to free up the planes. But by doing "Upgrade now", i wonder if i haven't lost the planes; they show as -20 in the Used pool and the number didn't change between the turn. Have i done something wrong?

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 103
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 9/3/2020 2:26:12 AM   
RangerJoe

No, it means that you used a negative 20 aircraft which means that they are somewhere although they may have to go through depot level maintenance.

BTW, the are crappier planes to use than the P-39s.

― Julia Child

(in reply to BlitzimX)
Post #: 104
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 9/3/2020 4:24:07 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

No, it means that you used a negative 20 aircraft which means that they are somewhere although they may have to go through depot level maintenance.

-20 means that 20 more aircraft have been returned to the pool than have been drawn by units. This is common when upgrading aircraft or any device and in the final stages of returning the old model to the pools. Take a look at your F2F Buffalo pools to see another model that should be a minus in the used column.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 105
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 9/3/2020 6:29:06 AM   
BlitzimX

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Really? I've always thought getting them out of restricted squadrons was a priority because they were great aicrafts to use at the begining of the war. Have i been decieved? XD

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 106
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 9/3/2020 10:52:17 AM   
RangerJoe

Yes and no. They are good for sweeping but they can't handle the day to day stuff. Use the P-26s, the P-35s, and the P-36s for exchanging aircraft. The P-39s are decent enough to use in the game for defense.

― Julia Child

(in reply to BlitzimX)
Post #: 107
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 9/7/2020 8:27:00 PM   
BlitzimX

January 9th

Mostly fighting around Sian. We held the first wave, which is still one less day off supply for him.

quote:

Attacking force 25260 troops, 209 guns, 15 vehicles, Assault Value = 605

Defending force 5530 troops, 43 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 174

Japanese adjusted assault: 207

Allied adjusted defense: 409

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
594 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 37 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Allied ground losses:
571 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 41 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled

Assaulting units:
1st Ind.Mixed Brigade
3rd Division
3rd Ind.Mixed Brigade

Defending units:
47th Chinese Corps

In the south, that's now 5 units tied down at Nanyang, soon about to kick my troops out. In total, that's about 25 enemy units spread over 5 jungle hexes with no direct supply line. It's quite good, a shame i can't really exploit it in the south. At least it gives me more time to build up the defenses.

I can't bomb his units unfortunatly, he has some long range zero patrols interdicting the area, and Kienko is only level 1 for now. However the 33rd base group just arrived and once unpacked will give a good boost to the construction.

--------------

Singapore is now under very heavy bombardment, the invasion is near. Numerous reports indicate units preparing for the assault.

--------------

In the Pacific, i started flying down my B18-E from PH down to Australia and the various islands for some long range recons. My PBYs are starting to get tired, and would be better used for ASW duty.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 108
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 9/20/2020 8:11:11 AM   
BlitzimX

January 10th

Nanyang has fallen in one swift attack. My units aren't dead yet so they'll stick around for some harassement and try to do a few things.

Sian has held a second day of assault, but is almost out of supply. One or two more days and it's over.

quote:

Ground combat at Sian (83,41)

Attacking force 49825 troops, 504 guns, 87 vehicles, Assault Value = 1434

Defending force 60434 troops, 289 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1109

Japanese adjusted assault: 561

Allied adjusted defense: 738

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 3)

Combat modifiers
Defender: forts(+), preparation(-), morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
2343 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 135 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 39 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 9 disabled
Vehicles lost 51 (5 destroyed, 46 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
3476 casualties reported
Squads: 33 destroyed, 244 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 88 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 14 disabled
Guns lost 31 (3 destroyed, 28 disabled)

Assaulting units:
6th Division
13th Tank Regiment
13th Division
40th Division
35th Division

Defending units:
36th Chinese Corps
41st Chinese Corps
16th Chinese Corps
57th Chinese Corps
3rd Chinese Corps
92nd Chinese Corps
76th Chinese Corps
13th Chinese Corps
90th Chinese Corps
4th Construction Regiment
22nd Group Army
Red Chinese Army
5th War Area
34th Group Army
4th Chinese Base Force

---------------

Various signs of incoming invasions are caught is some areas. Multiple TFs are localted in the Solomons, probably heading for PM, while the southern coast of Borneo is starting to get visits of multiple transports.

I couldn't evacuate PM in time, so all there will stand and die.

---------------

All the Dutch ARDs have reached Pearth and are making their way down to Sydney. I'll try to sneak one or two to Auckland if i can.

CT is full to the brim with cargos waiting for something to do, but i don't want to empty it too fast so only a convoy at a time leave the hex.

I was also wondering, what should i do with the short legged Dutch ships? All those CMs and AMxs , not sure where i should send them or do with them.

< Message edited by BlitzimX -- 9/20/2020 8:31:49 AM >

(in reply to BlitzimX)
Post #: 109
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 9/20/2020 2:43:03 PM   
BBfanboy

It is best to get the Chinese units into good defensive terrain. Sian is a clear hex where they will be wiped out quickly without taking many IJ devices with them. Move them to better terrain and you will inflict more pain on the IJA.

About the ARDs - the IJ player usually puts a few I-boats in the straits between Tasmania and southern Oz. It may take a bit longer, but sending the ARDs a couple of hexes south of Tasmania (to stay out of Glen search range) should help them stay undetected. There will be subs off Sydney too, so provide lots of air cover and some ASW TFs to keep them suppressed. My own preference would be to send the ARDs to Auckland or Christchurch in NZ because Sydney already has a decent sized SY to deal with damaged ships. Keep your ARDs hidden!

(in reply to BlitzimX)
Post #: 110
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 9/20/2020 2:48:59 PM   
BlitzimX

I already send most of my ships south of Tasmania, i'm all well too used to subs hunting my ships down the straight :)

For Sian, i can move my units in better terrain but that means abandonning the city? Not that it matters reallto tbh, but won't it be easier for him to pick them one by one, even in better terrain? I'm not really sure how to do this.
I have a few units scatered all along the road to Nanyang as well, but they won't halt a push or a breakout.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 111
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 9/20/2020 3:16:08 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

I already send most of my ships south of Tasmania, i'm all well too used to subs hunting my ships down the straight :)

For Sian, i can move my units in better terrain but that means abandonning the city? Not that it matters reallto tbh, but won't it be easier for him to pick them one by one, even in better terrain? I'm not really sure how to do this.
I have a few units scatered all along the road to Nanyang as well, but they won't halt a push or a breakout.

If you have lots of units, some of them can be "speed bumps" while the others move to rough terrain. You need to keep your hex sides open to do this, so if he tries to send armour around your retreating units, send a sacrificial unit out ahead of the armoured unit to delay its movement. He must stop to attack in each hex that you have units so you should be able to slow him up by sacrificing a few weak units while moving your best ones continuously to cover.

He is going to take Sian, so your only play there is to leave some units to try and cause damage to industry when he takes over the hex.

(in reply to BlitzimX)
Post #: 112
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 9/20/2020 7:16:20 PM   
RangerJoe

If he destroys your weak units while you slow them down, they will not have to be supplied and will return. Just turn off all replacements for them. If you have done so, buy out all of the Chinese units that you can but get them all moving to the border to go to India. Then get bulk out there. Do not let them get replacements until you buy them out. If you can get them trashed but not destroyed, they will be cheaper.

― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 113
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 9/20/2020 8:11:18 PM   
BlitzimX

quote:

If he destroys your weak units while you slow them down, they will not have to be supplied and will return. Just turn off all replacements for them. If you have done so, buy out all of the Chinese units that you can but get them all moving to the border to go to India. Then get bulk out there. Do not let them get replacements until you buy them out. If you can get them trashed but not destroyed, they will be cheaper.

I'm a bit confused by that. Almost all Chinese units are locked and can't be changed of hierarchy. Do you mean that instead of leaving my units rotting in southern china i should bulk move it to India via the burma road? And then i'll be able to buy them back? I got quite hefty units not doing much for now. OR have i misunderstood all this?

Wouldn't i need to convert a base to Chinese also in India for reinforcements?

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 114
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 9/20/2020 8:16:32 PM   
RangerJoe

No. You misunderstand. There are some Chinese units that can be change their HQ and thus not be restricted.

― Julia Child

(in reply to BlitzimX)
Post #: 115
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 9/20/2020 9:44:08 PM   
BlitzimX

Oh okay, i see, like those already close from the border. Quite expensive to buy back, but i see the idea. Moving them to India will take a while indeed. Do i need a Chinese base in India?

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 116
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 9/20/2020 10:42:03 PM   
RangerJoe

No. You can change their HQ to an American or a Commonwealth HQ. If you have a home rule about changing HQs before crossing the border, I would suggest that you do so.

You can pick them up with air transports but that means that those planes are not flying supplies into China.

― Julia Child

(in reply to BlitzimX)
Post #: 117
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 9/22/2020 11:36:01 AM   
BlitzimX

January 11th

Average day for my Subs. Managed a hit on the KAshii, but far from making her sink. All the others shots are duds. I really feel like the penalty isn't in my favor, i barely scored anything since the start.

In Sian, no attack today, just bombardment. A sort of resting day, giving a bit of time for my biggest troops to evacuate the city.

Down the Solomons, a fleet has been spoted. Given the direction, i'd bet for Lugainville, but i'm not sure if it's an invasion force or a mini KB yet. Just in case i'm pulling back all my ships from the base and get my STF fleet a bit closer, even if it won't reach it in time. The troops on Lugainville are by themselves.

I'll also start moving my 2 CVs forward toward NZ from their forward position near Pago Pago. The two others will depart PH in 2 days when the last fighter group has finished converting to F4Fs.

Following previous advices, i've also started moving the entire Chinese 11th Group from the border bases toward Burma, to transfer them bit by bit to India. A few small units are transfered to the vacated bases for garrison.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 118
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 9/22/2020 1:16:46 PM   
BBfanboy

Not all of the Chinese units that can be bought out are close to the border. To find all the components, click on the red flag button (All LCUS), filter to just the Chinese units and then look at the HQs column to see which ones are in yellow text. Make a note of the location and unit name (number) so you can start moving them west. It may already be too late for some of them to march past the Japanese, but if you can get them into a Chinese airbase you can send transport aircraft to move them rearward.

(in reply to BlitzimX)
Post #: 119
RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum... - 9/25/2020 10:48:47 AM   
BlitzimX

January 12th

First real surface battle of the war. Small scale, but still a battle.
As expected, the located enemy force went for a fast transport to Lugainville. I couldn't stop the landing, but i was surprisingly able to catch the ships despite the big distance to cover at Full Speed.

quote:

Day Time Surface Combat, near Luganville at 120,150, Range 20,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Tenryu, Shell hits 2
CL Tatsuta, Shell hits 5, on fire
DD Mutsuki, Shell hits 1
DD Kisaragi, Shell hits 1
DD Yayoi
DD Mochizuki

Allied Ships
CA Pensacola, Shell hits 1
CL Leander
CL Achilles, Shell hits 2
DD Le Triomphant, Shell hits 2

Tenryu is also reported hit later by a PBY, but no ship is reported as sunk. Still, a nice punch with no major issue. The TF will stick around for a day , trying to catch the fleeing fleet without extending too far. Then it will bombard and retreat the next day for rearming. I'm getting my CVs closer , as it's bound to heat up soon.

-------------

The first major troop convoys arrive at Noumea, which is slowly building up as a forward base. However with the looming threat of the KB still nowhere to be seen, i'm a big hesitant to keep it that way, especialy with no major naval asset to support it. Still, quite a sizeable force is on the island and it should prove to be quite a nice bumb.

-------------
In China, the enemy sarts cleaning out the weak units on the Sian/Nanyang road, maybe to free up supply for the assault on Sian. I don't intend on giving up that easily, even if those units get battered.

Shoutout to the troopers defending the hex before Siam.

quote:

Attacking force 25005 troops, 210 guns, 15 vehicles, Assault Value = 579

Defending force 5155 troops, 43 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 135

Japanese adjusted assault: 345

Allied adjusted defense: 292

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), experience(-)
Attacker: fatigue(-)

Japanese ground losses:
536 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 40 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled

Allied ground losses:
490 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 62 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 5 (1 destroyed, 4 disabled)

Assaulting units:
3rd Division
1st Ind.Mixed Brigade
3rd Ind.Mixed Brigade

Defending units:
47th Chinese Corps

--------------

In India, Calcutta is getting filled with units waiting for a new assignment, or the attack in the Area. All the Arm units are set to reinforce and replace, while a few others INF are set to reinforce, most notably the Kowloon Brigade which just reformed.

--------------

REst is calm so far, appart from an enemy sub getting hit by freshly laid mines in Wake.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Going down in flames - BlitzimX(A) vs. Hoplosternum (J) - Allied Side Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI