Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Artillery firing on submarines?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Artillery firing on submarines? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Artillery firing on submarines? - 5/27/2020 3:19:53 AM   
mdsmall

This is the second of different threads I will be writing to raise questions or comments from my latest play through of the game.

At one point playing the Central Powers, I stationed a German submarine in silent mode on a French coastal hex next to the Dover Straits. I was very surprised to see that the Entente Player, as played by the AI, fired an artillery unit at my sub and scored a hit. Is this possible? And is it all plausible historically? I imagine that it would be very hard to get accurate co-ordinates for any naval unit from land based observation, especially if it had been moving.

Michael
Post #: 1
RE: Artillery firing on submarines? - 5/27/2020 8:15:07 AM   
Xsillione

At gallipolli, several artillery hits landed on the british ships, so hitting moving ships (with slow and predictable movement) is possible. Hiting a silent sub would be impossible, but also that sub could not remain silent for days, so it is a wash on reality part. If you want any meaningful information from that sub, it has to be on the surface, and than hitting it is possible, even worse, you don't need a direct hit, to damage a sub, so it is not even that hard for a massive artillery formation, that represented by a unit on the map.

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 2
RE: Artillery firing on submarines? - 5/27/2020 11:50:24 AM   
The Land

Calibrating the effects of shore fire on warships is always a tricky one. Historically the only times that shore artillery has had a really nasty effect on warship is when the ships have either been docked at harbour, or maneuvering in very close enclosed spaces. However... that's largely because warships have gone out of their way to avoid being in the range or shore batteries.

If you look at the D-Day landings, the German shore artillery was almost completely ineffective. However, it was manned by unmotivated crews, had been heavily bombed from the air, was largely missing effective naval-type rangefinders, and was engaging fast-moving targets.

(in reply to Xsillione)
Post #: 3
RE: Artillery firing on submarines? - 5/27/2020 12:10:40 PM   
BillRunacre

I wouldn't interpret a Sub being in Silent Mode as literally being underwater for the full real life length of time that the turn represents. Really it just means it is in that mode as much as is practical.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Artillery firing on submarines? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI