Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Giving the AI 'a nudge'

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Giving the AI 'a nudge' Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Giving the AI 'a nudge' - 5/25/2020 6:07:34 PM   
Ekaton

I've seen giving AI 'a nudge', as in changing the game to head-to-head once in a while or right before the AI decides to do something really dumb, and I have a question - is it likely to break any AI scripts?

I need ten females for each male...
Post #: 1
RE: Giving the AI 'a nudge' - 5/25/2020 6:21:08 PM   
spence

To be brief - yes. If you want a lasting challenge play PBEM.

(in reply to Ekaton)
Post #: 2
RE: Giving the AI 'a nudge' - 5/25/2020 7:01:25 PM   
Andy Mac

No it’s fine I do the same for players that don’t want to peak at the AI step in and run a couple of turns fixing the AIs worse screwups

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 3
RE: Giving the AI 'a nudge' - 5/25/2020 7:33:22 PM   
Ekaton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

No it’s fine I do the same for players that don’t want to peak at the AI step in and run a couple of turns fixing the AIs worse screwups

Exactly, I just want to fix some of AI's worse moves and I'm afraid that it might break some AI scripts - like make the AI not attack a certain area or not move troops because the AI script wouldn't fire.

< Message edited by Ekaton -- 5/25/2020 7:48:50 PM >

I need ten females for each male...

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 4
RE: Giving the AI 'a nudge' - 5/25/2020 9:50:05 PM   
Andy Mac

Na its fine the AI should be able to cope with that and if you don't want to do it send it to me and I will do it (as long as its not extended map !!!)

(in reply to Ekaton)
Post #: 5
RE: Giving the AI 'a nudge' - 5/25/2020 10:04:05 PM   
RangerJoe

In one way, sending it to someone else might be the better option. Then you won't know what is happening. Just let that player see both sides.

In fact, as Allies let someone set up the Japanese economy and R & D. Maybe even the first move if you are not going to do the historical turn.

You play PDU OFF as Allies, let the computer do what it wants. Let someone covert the single engine bombers to Nicks . . .

Maybe have the person check things once a month if needed. Or sooner when it comes time for R & D to move along the upgrade path if the AI does not do it.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 6
RE: Giving the AI 'a nudge' - 5/26/2020 11:04:42 AM   
traskott

Thanks!

I have always had the same question in my Ironman games, now I will be able to swift to H2H for a couple of turns to make "basic mantenaince" of the japanese forces (and industry).

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 7
RE: Giving the AI 'a nudge' - 5/26/2020 10:46:27 PM   
PaxMondo

I do it all the time.

Run Head2Head for 3 - 4 turns if the AI is doing something insane (like attacking piecemeal).

Regularly, I will run Head2Head to re-structure things for it, set upgrades (AI cannot upgrade), maybe do a few conversions (AI cannot convert), update commanders, run ships back to port for repair, etc. I try to avoid looking at bases, I use the unit type menus (all planes, all LCU's, all ships) and filter there looking for issues.

With little effort actually, I can get games to run well into '44 pretty easily.

The biggest thing I have done to Andy's Ironman scenario is to keep the unit in flow coming through '46. I remove the flattening that starts in mid-44 for the allies.

Pax

(in reply to traskott)
Post #: 8
RE: Giving the AI 'a nudge' - 5/26/2020 11:55:54 PM   
stretch

Be warned that the Japanese AI can allow the garrison requirements to fall without risk of the Soviets becoming active. Once that loads up as human, they activate. Thus in my current game vs the AI I can't do anything as the AI to help it out. I can only stop, look, and then reload the old save with the Soviets inactive and continue.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 9
RE: Giving the AI 'a nudge' - 5/27/2020 12:36:59 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: stretch

Be warned that the Japanese AI can allow the garrison requirements to fall without risk of the Soviets becoming active. Once that loads up as human, they activate. Thus in my current game vs the AI I can't do anything as the AI to help it out. I can only stop, look, and then reload the old save with the Soviets inactive and continue.

That's true. Since I almost always play as IJ, I never run into this issue. But if you are playing as the allies, it is a real issue that will develop by mid-'42 and then continue on … meaning the IJ AI in most games can't be helped and so the game doesn't tend to be as challenging as you can't help the AI past some bottlenecks. In these cases you will find that you have to cede the base in question (let the AI win), or choose to continue beating the AI until it no longer has capability to attack and then the game goes quite easily and monotonously to its end.

Pax

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Giving the AI 'a nudge' Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI