Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> AAR >> RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/8/2020 2:06:11 PM   
sillyflower

Russia 5 June

AGN not looking very aggressive. Generally I sit fairly tight. I have enough cash in the bank to keep refit/upgrade at nearly 400 PP for upgrading decent units(I now have '43 assault advance), and of course the need to keep up fighter numbers, and to buy 1 inf army/turn. Only inf xxx ants have been killed so far, and I have disbanded a few when their readiness is hopeless and the manpower and PPs help.

The Russian tac bombers are all starting to bomb some Finns, apart from 1 on naval bombing duty down south as an anti-invasion force. This would have started last turn but I forgot to send the bombers up north on T1.I don't expect to do the Finns any harm whatsoever, so this is purely to gain experience without receiving casualties.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/8/2020 2:19:13 PM >

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 151
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/8/2020 2:20:00 PM   
sillyflower

The Irish are very charming people, so we give them a little hug to show our appreciation. Starving the axis of supplies is simply an unfortunate by-product of this policy.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/8/2020 2:22:59 PM >

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Post #: 152
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/8/2020 5:01:30 PM   
sillyflower

19 June.

Sveint is ahead of the historical position in Russia but I failed to keep a screenie. I really thought I had because wanted to show the destruction of a German inf xxx with supporting heavy arty at the tip of the Nazi spear pointing at Vitebsk. My attackers had to come out of our trenches to do it but it was well worth it IMHO. Sveint very rarely fails to provide a retreat path, so such opportunities need to be taken.

Back in the desert:

2 British tank corps and the RAF give a German dug-in inf xxx a wake-up call, tho' many of them will not wake again. The other tank xxx has heavy arty which helped. The 2 ports have been blockaded for a couple of turns before this, so hopefully his ability to replace casualties and regain cohesion will be impaired. Just hoping that the 3 unknown units are not 2 elite panzers + Rommel, but they should all be safely in Russia, unless he's being sneaky and hiding one in the UK.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/8/2020 5:30:18 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 153
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/8/2020 5:12:30 PM   
sillyflower

A picture of the Emerald Isle which looks rather like the previous one.

The losses screen gives losses of the player's last 2 turns, but only the last turn of the enemy, so it always looks worse than it is. The American losses are due to their pitiful performance in Norway, not my poor decision-making. Russian losses are relatively modest for 2 turns.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/8/2020 5:20:41 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 154
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/8/2020 5:30:45 PM   
baloo7777

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

quote:

The losses screen gives losses of the player's last 2 turns, but only the last turn of the enemy, so it always looks worse than it is.

I don't ever remember reading this and I usually ignore that screen because I could never understand where it came up with the losses. Is it in the manual somewhere?

JRR

Post #: 155
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/8/2020 9:23:04 PM   
sillyflower

I don't think it's explained anywhere but I hope Alvaro will be able to clarify if he reads this AAR. I worked it out simply by comparing the losses screen with losses as recorded on the columns which give the result of each individual combat. Also losses screen figures for Russia at start of my T2 were the same as the total Russian casualty figures in the casualty screen.

It is sub-optimal. If the losses screen recorded total losses during one's previous turn + the last enemy turn (which is what I thought it did from the description), that would be quite useful.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/8/2020 9:24:23 PM >

web exchange

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 156
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/8/2020 9:27:29 PM   
sillyflower

3 July 1941

North Africa. We have Rommel, but probably no panzers

Although my supply line is incredibly tenuous here, I have trucks and air support, and the strong blockades of the 2 nearest axis ports should mean that sveint's supply chain is probably not much better.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/8/2020 9:41:22 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 157
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/8/2020 9:42:23 PM   
sillyflower

Russia

A relatively quit turn, and the only destroyed units were the remains of 3 ant inf. xxx. I am expecting AGC to try to head north 3 or 4 hexes west of Vitebsk, between the 2 rail lines going north. I reinforced the area as best I could and I have a lot of strong units there, and he has a maximum 2 interceptors + I assume that the the 2 unidentified air units in range are bombers which would mean that he only has 3 to try to weaken the defense before the ground troops have to leap into dinghies to cross the river. His 2 panzers with engineer kit are both down south, and I haven't yet seen any more heavy arty in the area.

I expect him to make more progress in the south.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/8/2020 10:00:24 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 158
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/9/2020 11:27:54 AM   
sillyflower

July 17

The lack of action in the North came as a pleasant surprise. I have removed the AA guns from L'grad.
My tac bombers all shuffled west to bomb sveint's remaining ships. They 'bottomed' 2 CA's: 1 G and 1 It. Better than not killing any Finns. I suspect that they won't get another opportunity.

In the south, I'm sure sveint posted pics of his thrust. Revenge for losing 1 army and 1 mech xxx came with the destruction of his paras.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/9/2020 11:34:05 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 159
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/9/2020 12:01:30 PM   
sillyflower

17July elsewhere

No fighting in N. Africa as the Nazis pull back slightly towards Tripoli, and my tanks were only going to get a 2:1 on a fresh inf XXX, despite the RAF reducing the visible CV from 13 to 8.

In my usual random way, I forgot to take a pic. of UK. I don't trust sveint. I do in the normal meaning of the word, but I do not trust him not to be super-sneaky. Why would he swap the German units (presumably divs) in the Irish ports for weaker Spanish ones? The answer must be that the Spanish units are corps. Having no wish to create a super-Dieppe, I took the port in NW Scotland instead. My money is on the spare G unit between Glasgow and Edinburgh being a panzer xxx. If I'm wrong, it's a mech xxx but I don't think he has any of those. I made my dispositions on that basis: even giving my paras, who flew in from Scapa Flow, AT guns. 1st time I've given them to anyone I think. My US bombers in Scapa Flow are in range to help the defence.

My plans remain fluid. Invest heavily here, or pin him down and go somewhere else as well.
10 new US merchant ships are launched and are immediately put to work on Lend Lease duties.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/9/2020 4:09:25 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 160
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/9/2020 4:07:45 PM   
sillyflower

Deleted

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/9/2020 4:08:47 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 161
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/10/2020 7:44:34 AM   
sillyflower

31 July

The 1st of the Africa Korps corps dies as we close on whatever this port is called. Another does not look very well.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/10/2020 7:46:11 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 162
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/10/2020 2:09:16 PM   
sillyflower

Scotland

We push out from the original beach-head. I do my own paraspam to cut Aberdeen off from the land , and naval forces do the same at sea. I can't see the lone pz xxx being able to do anything as the US paras have also brought extra. AT guns with them. Taking Aberdeen next turn is a necessity because it has a port capacity of 4, but Mallaig on the west side only has 1.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/10/2020 2:20:54 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 163
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/10/2020 2:24:25 PM   
sillyflower

No pic of Russia as sveint no doubt has shown his lurch into the Dnepr bend. I just shuffle thing around a bit, whilst mourning the death of Zhukov.

These reports might be more enlightening

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/10/2020 2:44:00 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 164
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/10/2020 2:30:18 PM   
sillyflower

And the forces

Attachment (1)

web exchange

Post #: 165
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/10/2020 2:34:32 PM   
sillyflower

Compared to the end of February

The land force ratio has changed significantly in the Soviet favour, though it is fair to say the Russian numbers are down a bit from May, due largely to dead ants, and a very few scrapped ones. Manpower remains at about 85% which is good. Interceptors have reached '43 tech but it has yet to filter down to planes on the ground.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/10/2020 2:49:57 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 166
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/10/2020 10:07:29 PM   
sillyflower

14 August

The baddies make some progress in AGC area, forcing me to evacuate Smolensk and to fall back a bit in the good defensive terrain of the Pripyet, but Vitebsk stay firm. The losses screen shows the Germans paying a heavy price for their aggression, especially as allied casualties are for a longer period so it's not like for like. The Italian losses are hits on their paraspam in the south but sadly sveint had left them a retreat route back behind their lines.

I think this is the 1st time in the game where G air losses are higher than the allied. A good morale boost for allied air forces everywhere.

Soviets still have 6 reserve armies allegedly forming up, but I haven't had one actually appear for 3 turns now which is what is causing my problem. Does anyone know if they arrive to a schedule or am I being unlucky with some secret die rolls? I NEED THEM NOW!

In Scotland we take Aberdeen at the 1st attempt and occupy it (phew), but sveint is taking quite a lot of German units out of Russia which is helping there but not in UK where they are starting to arrive. There are now 5 LW units in Western Europe. Norway has also attracted a lot of Nazis, so I took the Bordeaux Boys back to Scapa Flow to stop them being destroyed. Only 3 German units defending Ireland now: presumably all divs.........and more Yanks are on the way over as the landings in Scotland freed some transports.

In North Africa, the port of Somewhere is taken as DAK falls back to the hills guarding Tripoli. Hopefully, this means that my tanks will get petrol next turn That port remains blockaded and I've started blockading the next one along. Life is so much easier in the Med without any Axis aircraft or ships in theatre.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/10/2020 10:39:00 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 167
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/11/2020 7:57:59 AM   
sillyflower

28 August

A very rare mistake by sveint as 2 air units are moved from Russia to the west coast of England. A location no doubt chosen so they could enjoy the local beaches when they weren't flying.

After anxious recce by light units of the USN, the Bordeaux Boys do their last invasion. There is no way of rescuing them sadly but they will not be forgotten. 2 full strength interceptor units will now have to lick their wounds in the naughty corner for the next 6 months.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/11/2020 1:07:35 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 168
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/11/2020 8:50:19 AM   
ncc1701e

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

Soviets still have 6 reserve armies allegedly forming up, but I haven't had one actually appear for 3 turns now which is what is causing my problem. Does anyone know if they arrive to a schedule or am I being unlucky with some secret die rolls? I NEED THEM NOW!

Alas no, seems to be a little random but I can't find a rule.

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

Post #: 169
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/11/2020 10:08:42 AM   
sillyflower

Tx nccetc

August 28 con't.

The last 6 reserve armies still refuse to appear. Beria has been sent to give their army commanders parachute diving training. Unfortunately, we don't have any actual parachutes for them but, hey, there's a war on and sacrifices must be made!

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/11/2020 1:06:47 PM >

web exchange

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 170
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/11/2020 10:14:50 AM   
sillyflower

Russia north

Not enough troops to sort out the paraspam (hence the mode of punishment for lazy reserve army commanders) but the inf xxx trying to poke round Vitebsk is taught a lesson.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/11/2020 10:22:18 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 171
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/11/2020 10:22:57 AM   
sillyflower

south

In similar fashion, we smite the orcs back over the Dnepr in their ruin. Feeling all Tolkein-esque at the moment...........

Only 2 more turns of good weather . Sveint is still making holes, but hasn't really seemed able to exploit as effectively as he normally does these last 2 turns.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/11/2020 10:30:09 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 172
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/11/2020 10:41:49 AM   
sillyflower

In N. Africa, we just approach the Tripoli defence line whilst sending extra supplies to the tanks and moving up the 4 bomber units.

Scotland looks like a stalemate, but it has pulled a lot of axis troops into England, including 3 more air units, of which only 1 is left of course, so we now blockade all the Irish ports again to prevent reinforcements. The 2 carrier forces start bombarding the defenders of Belfast whilst ground troops hover menacingly, but out of reach. Not as subtle as I usually try to be, but I don't see how he can reinforce Ireland in his turn.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/11/2020 1:10:55 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 173
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/11/2020 12:52:25 PM   
Flaviusx

Those reserve armies should have started appearing as early as the second turn of Barbarossa. I don't understand the holdup here. Looks like a bug.

Nervermind, I see they have been appearing.

The last half dozen or so take a while to show up.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 7/11/2020 12:54:15 PM >

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 174
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/11/2020 1:05:31 PM   
sillyflower

Sveint must also worried about something given this latest picture of him

Attachment (1)

web exchange

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 175
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/11/2020 3:41:09 PM   
Harrybanana

My Axis Opponent invaded the USSR on the first turn in March 41 (4 turns before Sveint invaded in your game). We have just completed The last August turn (the same as you) and I am still waiting for the last 3 Reserve Armies. So if the entry of the Reserve Armies is timed to the invasion, than the good news is that if you are still waiting for 6 reserve armies you should get 3 of them over the next few turns. The bad news is that you will have to wait at least 5 turns (and probably more) for the last 3.

With respect to the weather, don't forget that in the Arctic Zone there is a 25% chance of clear in October and a 20% chance in November. So on average Sveint will get one more turn of clear in that zone after September. There is also a 10% chance of clear in the North Moderate Zone in October.

Post #: 176
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/11/2020 5:05:57 PM   
sillyflower

Thanks HB. A lot more helpful than some late reserve army commanders!

At least a clear turn after a bit of rain isn't too bad. Whilst it's true that both armies will benefit from a bit of rest, the other important benefits for me is the time to dig, and just possibly another reserve army or two in addition to the 1 x '43 tech army I get every turn. Rest of my points go on refit + upgrades, though I try to be careful about prioritisation.

The Russian weather is a bit odd though The Rasputitsa always occurred in Belarus, Russia and Ukraine, which must be heavy rain in game terms. There should then always be frost as the temperature ('snow' in game) and then worse weather (presumably blizzard) but that is a much lower chance than snow in the arctic, and never happens in large parts of the Soviet Union where the weather is exactly the same as in most of western Europe.

I'll raise the weather issue in the main forum.

web exchange

(in reply to Harrybanana)
Post #: 177
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/11/2020 11:13:21 PM   
sillyflower

11 Sept

The re-invasion of Ireland

We destroy the garrison, but no MPs left to move in, which is sub-optimal.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/11/2020 11:18:09 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 178
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/12/2020 10:21:36 AM   
sillyflower

North Africa -axis defensive line is turned

Attachment (1)

web exchange

Post #: 179
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/12/2020 10:33:11 AM   
sillyflower

25 Sept

I've learned where the arctic weather one is on the map. There was heavy rain (5% chance) . No ground attacks in the theatre, and a bit of desultory LW bombing led to the loss of 1 bomber without any Russian casualties. A very valuable breating space. Still no reserve army activations. A few more paper parachutes are being produced.

In north Africa, the Germans rout back to better defensive terrain near Gabes, leaving an Italian xxx to be destroyed trying to defend Tripoli. 3 LW units appear in Sicily - only 7 now left on the eastern front.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/12/2020 10:34:12 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> AAR >> RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI