Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> AAR >> RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 6/30/2020 10:09:35 AM   
sillyflower

19 Dec

You may have seen this on sveint's AAR, gentle reader. Any interest in an invasion of Turkey is well-disguised.

He didn't have the cojones for a late '41 Barbarossa.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 6/30/2020 10:21:46 AM >

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 121
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 6/30/2020 10:15:52 AM   
sillyflower

...................even when I leave him some easy ways in.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 6/30/2020 10:19:00 AM >

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 122
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 6/30/2020 3:26:36 PM   
baloo7777

Didn't USA Lend-lease to Russia go through Persia historically?

JRR

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 123
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 6/30/2020 3:51:22 PM   
sillyflower

According to Mr Wiki:

Delivery was via the Arctic Convoys, the Persian Corridor, and the Pacific Route.

The Arctic route was the shortest and most direct route for lend-lease aid to the USSR, though it was also the most dangerous as it involved sailing past German-occupied Norway. Some 3,964,000 tons of goods were shipped by the Arctic route; 7% was lost, while 93% arrived safely.[52] This constituted some 23% of the total aid to the USSR during the war.

The Persian Corridor was the longest route, and was not fully operational until mid-1942. Thereafter it saw the passage of 4,160,000 tons of goods, 27% of the total.[52]

The Pacific Route opened in August 1941, but was affected by the start of hostilities between Japan and the U.S.; after December 1941, only Soviet ships could be used, and, as Japan and the USSR observed a strict neutrality towards each other, only non-military goods could be transported.[53] Nevertheless, some 8,244,000 tons of goods went by this route, 50% of the total.[52]

I imagine that little or no LL was carried on the Arctic route by american ships.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 6/30/2020 3:59:38 PM >

web exchange

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 124
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 6/30/2020 6:39:40 PM   
michaelCLARADY

US LL aid to the USSR was $11.3B from 1941 thru the end of the War. Brit aid to the USSR was $1.7B or about 15% of the USA level. In addition the Brits received $31B in American LL aid. As to little USA shipping on the Murmansk run- USA lost 85 ships there during WW2 to Britain's 87.

Post #: 125
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 6/30/2020 9:18:28 PM   
sillyflower

Thanks Michael.

web exchange

(in reply to michaelCLARADY)
Post #: 126
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 6/30/2020 10:27:55 PM   
baloo7777

In the game, is there any control over which route LL takes? At least for the US player?

< Message edited by baloo7777 -- 6/30/2020 10:28:19 PM >

JRR

Post #: 127
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 6/30/2020 10:48:38 PM   
sillyflower

Not in my test. I'm hoping Alvaro reads this AAR or my other thread. My hotseat tests don't seem to work for some reason.

web exchange

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 128
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 6/30/2020 10:51:05 PM   
sillyflower

2 Jan 1942

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL MY READERS.

The perfect start :

I can almost forgive the pathetic inability of any of my 5 carriers (which are in 2 groups) and a strong fleet with big guns even to find raiding Axis warships, but not quite!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 6/30/2020 11:00:11 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 129
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/1/2020 11:49:11 AM   
sillyflower

16 Jan '42

Axis surface fleets come out again. Italian navy gets a smacking from the carriers, as the battleship fleet fails yet again. The last Italian battleship explodes after getting 10 hits, and all that's left of their surface navy is 1 CA and one CL/DD group - both badly damaged.

Attachment (1)

web exchange

Post #: 130
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/1/2020 5:45:24 PM   
sillyflower

30 Jan

I think that my previous post was wrongly dated because the Trieste was only sunk this turn, after the battleship was KO'd on the 1st carrier strike

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/1/2020 5:49:47 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 131
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/3/2020 1:30:16 PM   
sillyflower

13 Feb
Again, not a clue so possibly/probably nothing interesting

EDIT. I could not be more wrong. I've just found a scribbled note saying The German navy lost the Schliesen (its old dreadnought), a CL/DD group and 9 more hits including 4 on the Bismark. It must have sat still and 3 of 4 carrier strikes hit their targets.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/3/2020 1:38:39 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 132
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/3/2020 8:56:56 PM   
sillyflower

27Feb

Self explanatory. Sveint has quite a lot of Germans on garrison duty so that's probably over 200 points, and 2 ftrs in Spain guarding his fleet, and (presumably a bomber) in Ireland.
Axis naval power has been much depleted by my 5 carriers. I think both powers have 3 subs left though probably with some damage.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/3/2020 9:05:59 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 133
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/4/2020 11:24:34 AM   
sillyflower

13 March

Nothing to see here as paranoia grips the USSR and security is tightened before we can launch our offensive in May; weather permitting (which I hope it won't)

web exchange

Post #: 134
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/4/2020 11:25:14 AM   
sillyflower

27 March

Nazi fighters in Spain fail to prevent successful port attacks vs uboats: one of which is now resting in peace. It will not be missed.

I have to say that I always struggle (OK, fail) to reconcile this screen with the figures in the 'current' and 'last turn' combat logs.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/4/2020 11:35:56 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 135
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/4/2020 11:23:48 PM   
sillyflower

10 April

Lovely bad weather. In Russia,the last of my ready troops still have to be put on the map nest turn. I would have preferred to have held them all off map until the last minute, but the deployment hexes aren't in the right places for that, and they then need to rail and move to the right place.

Allied navies useless this turn. The 5 carriers have had so many successes that their cohesion in getting quite low in the 40s but experience levels all between 65-70 which in good. I will have to circulate the out for R&R. At least the seaborne threat is much lower now so I think its it's OK to keep just 1 naval stack on station off Spain.
The allied subs had been patrolling off Norway all winter, but sveint didn't turn the iron ore convoy back on. Don't know why - his merchants aren't much use for anything else.

Back to the rain dance

Attachment (1)

web exchange

Post #: 136
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/4/2020 11:26:42 PM   
sillyflower

And I've always loved the Far Side

Whatever it takes to slow sveint down.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/4/2020 11:28:09 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 137
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/5/2020 10:02:48 AM   
sillyflower

24 April

The dances worked. Heavy rain everywhere.

Very different from a '41 Barbarossa

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/5/2020 10:03:20 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 138
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/5/2020 10:24:07 AM   
sillyflower

And the south

With 12 interceptors all sitting on top of land units for safety, another on the way, and 19 tank and mech xxx, I'm ready for paraspam. The Soviet fleet prepares for war by sitting on the Swedish trade route.Bombers moved out of range as they can't yet be trusted to stat in 'mission only' mode. I also have 8 or 10 new armies deployed, in addition to the 3 Siberians.

In the meantime, the American Armada launches and heads for Ihaventaclueyet. The USS Ranger and a UK carrier head for Scapa Flow, which is once again becoming a hive of industry with the transfer of forces from Iceland. 10 new merchants boost the UK, with 80 more on the stocks between the allied nations.The rest of the fleet off Spain fails to score again . It seems very hard for battleships to damage sub in port which is a bit surprising.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/5/2020 10:45:44 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 139
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/5/2020 3:07:44 PM   
sillyflower

Barbarossa has started but I'm waiting to hear from sveint as to where he is with his AAR, so that we cak keep reasonably in synch. I think my 12.00 hours is his midnight.
In the meantime, some early pictures of his army's behaviour:
WARNING: SOME VIEWERS MIGHT FIND THESE SCENES DISTRESSING

This was taken 10 miles west of Grodno. The cause of the massacre is believed to be due to te Wehrmacht's failure to capture the this strategically-placed communications hub.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/5/2020 3:17:19 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 140
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/5/2020 3:20:03 PM   
sillyflower

This atrocity occurred in Brest Litovsk on 12 May. Pictures of the Nazis throwing babies into fires were deemed to distressing to show on a family-friendly forum

The peoples of Russia will take courage and inspiration from these infamous war-crimes. The Teutonic Knights were routed and slaughtered by Alexander Nevsky and the Russian people centuries ago, and their descendants led by Comrade Sillyflower will do the same to the degenerate descendants of the Teutons, once she manages to extract herself from a giant daffodil.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/5/2020 3:28:20 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 141
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/5/2020 10:51:26 PM   
sillyflower

May 8

I know, Dear Reader, that you probably want to learn more about Barbarossa, but patience is a virtue.

The Bordeaux Boys are back doing their usual thing of being annoying. They had a short stay at Scapa Flow and are now at small xxx strength. With the income from Oslo and the 1% production boost from rare metals, I reckon this is worth 2 PPs per turn. What is not to like especially as it greatly lowers Italian national morale threshold for surrender as well. I would not have won our previous game if I had not taken Norway.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/5/2020 10:58:44 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 142
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/5/2020 11:01:02 PM   
sillyflower

Meanwhile, in the English channel the combined Axis surface fleet hides in Brest with fighter cover whilst Axis subs lurk near all the Irish ports. Allied naval forces stay 1 hex out of range of the bombers in Berlin, but reaction attacks by uboats result in 1 of them sinking and the other taking 2 hits, without any allied losses. I enjoyed that.The invasion fleets do the naval equivalent of dancing round their handbags to keep out of range of attacks next turn. 2 carriers and other assets reach Scapa Flow for resupply.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/5/2020 11:09:43 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 143
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/5/2020 11:10:55 PM   
sillyflower

I can't put it off any longer

An heroic performance repeated when attacked a 2nd time, so no rail conversion here.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/5/2020 11:12:23 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 144
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/5/2020 11:13:20 PM   
sillyflower

AGS

The main point of attack is here. Not as bad as I had feared, but it will be a long summer...............

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/5/2020 11:15:30 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 145
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/5/2020 11:38:33 PM   
sillyflower

AGN/AGC

The ants did much better than expected and even isolated 2 of the 3 panzers, tho' I don't think sveint is short of JU52's.
Leningrad gets 4 more AA guns to add to the Siberian inf xxx upgraded to elite status. L'grad is easy to bomb but hard to defend with fighters due to lack of airfields

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/5/2020 11:43:06 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 146
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/6/2020 10:47:41 AM   
sillyflower

I think that the time has come to give a strategic overview from the Casablanca conference. Held at the Casablanca Hotel in New York for obvious reasons.

I'm feeling happier than I was 6 months ago. Sveint is very spread out. There are now 21 G units in UK + Ireland + some Spaniards. 4 in N Africa and at least 1 of those must be a xxx to be able to put up any resistance to an allied O.

USSR
In Russia all the regular armies and the 19 armoured xxx are all '42 tech with the armour transitioning at pace to '43 model. I should be able to start upgrading the reserve armies in June. Sveint only has 9 panzers and no mech xxx to my 19, but I can afford the petrol. My Red army is much stronger that it was at this time in our last game, and the invading ground forces seem weaker.
I'm buying 1 inf army per turn but putting most of my PPs into upgrades and keeping the interceptors as strong a possible. The latter is a challenge and I can't keep the all in the front line, but having 12 must be hampering the LW and seems to be preventing paradrops.

The threat of paraspam does not exist. I've seen 1 G para in the north and 1 It. in the south. No paradrops yet: I'm writing after doing my 5 June turn.Either they are all acting as expensive port garrisons, or else there has been mass recycling. Good thinking by sveint anyway. I think paraspam may well work in '41 Barbarossa ,but not '42.

The LW is very big, but all other axis air units have been disbanded. I think that he only has 7 fighters, or 8 at the most. suspect sveint thought that would be enough to destroy the red air force and to pound the red army to bits with large numbers of bombers.I suspect that the last minute doubling of my fighters might have been an unwelcome surprise.

ECONOMY
Allied production in just over 1K per turn. Both UK and USA are donating what they can to the USSR. I've had 10 or 20 more merchants arrive, with I think 80 more on the slipways, That should be more than enough now that the axis navies are very weak, and in no position to restart convoy warfare.

NAVAL

The axis naval forces have taken a beating. In the previous turn, the Italians lost 9 more subs around NW of Ireland. They were obviously there to interdict invaders, but they found themselves trying to interdict fleets of warships and only got 2 hits in return. The now-combined surface fleets fled to Danzig. I just hope they keep moving and using more fuel.

THE MED.

Has a lot of UK forces. There is clearly no threat to Turkey: even the 2 G units on the border have been taken away. The complete absence of any axis ships or aircraft in the theatre mean that I should be able to do something useful. I need to keep stretching sveint's rubber band.

UK

I remain flexible. I don't really care where the mainly US invasion fleet lands, or when. Ireland would be a good option, but with 2 ground units protecting each port, and bombers in Dublin, it will be potentially expensive. This is because I would need to cut off all their supplies to weaken the first.Still, most of the 2 navies have no other use because sveint is not mad enough to build another Graf Zeppelin for 1000 PPs or so (I can't be that lucky) or to repair his remaining warships.

Norway

Another rubber-band stretch. See report on 5 June turn to follow.

web exchange

Post #: 147
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/6/2020 10:07:20 PM   
sillyflower

May 22

Allied naval forces provoking reaction attacks kill 9 Italian subs for I hit on a BB and 1 on a CA. Spanish ground forces flood into Ireland. Potential invasion forces do the naval equivalent of dancing round their handbags just out of reach of enemy subs.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/6/2020 10:19:56 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 148
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/6/2020 10:11:51 PM   
sillyflower

Russia

The Nazis make steady but fairly slow progress. Any 1st summer turn which is not a disaster is a good one in my book.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/6/2020 10:15:24 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 149
RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT - 7/7/2020 11:17:41 PM   
sillyflower

v. busy day so only time for 1 post tonight

US troops move to Norway to forestall any silly business

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/7/2020 11:19:56 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> AAR >> RE: THE LAST KINGDOM: Sillyflower v sveint. NO SVEINT Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI