Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

sea transport

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> sea transport Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
sea transport - 5/24/2020 4:49:05 AM   
bairdlander

German unit in Italy.Want to transport to N Africa Italian controlled hex.Why pop up saying I need landing craft?Can I not use transport craft as Italy is part of Axis?Or transport are port to port only?
Post #: 1
RE: sea transport - 5/24/2020 5:11:05 AM   
sveint

To port only.

(in reply to bairdlander)
Post #: 2
RE: sea transport - 5/24/2020 5:18:11 AM   
captain10

Sea transport is just port to port. It make sense if you think of the difficulties of disembarking thousands of men and their equipment.

If you want to disembark a German unit in another hex you need German landing craft.

(in reply to bairdlander)
Post #: 3
RE: sea transport - 5/24/2020 6:36:23 AM   
Harrybanana

Using sea transport rather than landing craft does make sense. What doesn't make sense is that if you already have a land unit in the port you have to move it before you can move your transported unit in. Can be a nuisance if the unit you have to dislocate is entrenched. It also means that you can only load and unload one unit per turn at each port even if it is a major port. It also doesn't make sense that landing craft can only be used once. My father-in-law served on an LCIL unloading troops onto Juno Beach on D-Day. But then for several weeks after D-Day they made several more runs across the channel ferrying troops and equipment. Ideally there would just be a chance that the landing craft is destroyed. But these are all very minor gripes; this is a great game.

Oh yeah, my father-in-law was awarded the French Legion of Honour just before Covid 19 locked us all down. Very cool.

(in reply to captain10)
Post #: 4
RE: sea transport - 5/24/2020 9:03:39 AM   
sillyflower

Grats to your father in law. That medal is not easily earned.

You can disembark in a port that already contains a unit of the same type: ie land or air. Unit will disembark to an adjacent hex as long as there is an empty space. As the newly-landed unit can usually move 1 hex, you should not have any difficulty.

Think of the cost of landing craft as the cost of/associated with the assault rather than the cost of the ships. Invasions are still probably a bit too cheap in terms of production points. The current system is very simple and simple is good, and very simple is often very good, which you will appreciate when you get to my age (64), if not before.

Must be nap time now

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to Harrybanana)
Post #: 5
RE: sea transport - 5/24/2020 4:46:58 PM   
Harrybanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

Grats to your father in law. That medal is not easily earned.

You can disembark in a port that already contains a unit of the same type: ie land or air. Unit will disembark to an adjacent hex as long as there is an empty space. As the newly-landed unit can usually move 1 hex, you should not have any difficulty.

Damn, I tried it and your right? I have only started playing this game this week, haven't even made it past 1940. But as the Axis I invaded England and captured Southampton. I was pretty sure that I tried unloading a unit into the port when another unit was in the port and it wouldn't let me, but I can't duplicate that now. But you are wrong about the newly-landed unit being able to move one hex. As you say if you try disembarking into an occupied port the disembarking unit will disembark in a hex adjacent to the port. But if you disembark into an unoccupied port the unit will disembark into the port hex with 0 operation points.

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 6
RE: sea transport - 5/24/2020 10:57:45 PM   
bairdlander

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

Yes,with landing craft,not transports.landing craft are one time use.But I do understand reason transports cant just disembark in a non port hex.Oh well,time for another restart.Thanks for the information.

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> sea transport Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI